Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Aussie overlanding Tanzania - Cape Town - London (via West Coat route)  (Read 341 times)

Offline stuartlm

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
Hi,

My name is Stuart. I'm from Melbourne, Australia and a friend and I intend to drive from Tanzania, down to Capetown, then up the West Coast to Europe and eventually London.

My mate is driving a Land Rover Defender and I intend to ride a bike, but I am yet to find a bike! We are hitting Tanzania in mid-July 2017 and I am in the market for a good overlanding bike. Preferably I would like something UK registered, to make things easier to sell at the end, but I'm realistic that this may not be possible. So I also would be happy with something registered in Sth Africa.

I'm thinking something along the lines of an Africa Twin, or;
1.   Yamaha Tenere / XT500/600 etc series;
2.   BMW F650, R80/100GS, R11xxGS;
3.   Suzuki 650 singles;
4.   KTM Adventure;
5.   Honda XL600 series;
6.   Honda Transalp and Africa Twins;
7.   Kawasaki KLR650.

But happy to take suggestions! (Whether they be on the bike, route, overlanding, visas etc etc).

Cheers
Stu

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
sounds like a very cool trip - good luck!
I think your bike choice is pretty spot-on, and that DR 650 is pretty bomb-proof, in particular.

Welcome, lots to :sip: read here, lots to  :biggrin:  about, some  ???  answered, a fair bit of  ;)  goes on, some guys  :drif:  over the bikes (or else the babes), and there is even some  :pot:  that goes on, and a significant amount of :amazon:
(In fact – there is a LOT of :pot:  that goes on… :biggrin: )

Enjoy!
Chris & Team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Casting from Turd

• Dont lick ass, You get a shit taste in your mouth! Ek is die DROL in jou drinkwater
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
Hi,

My name is Stuart. I'm from Melbourne, Australia and a friend and I intend to drive from Tanzania, down to Capetown, then up the West Coast to Europe and eventually London.

My mate is driving a Land Rover Defender and I intend to ride a bike, but I am yet to find a bike! We are hitting Tanzania in mid-July 2017 and I am in the market for a good overlanding bike. Preferably I would like something UK registered, to make things easier to sell at the end, but I'm realistic that this may not be possible. So I also would be happy with something registered in Sth Africa.

I'm thinking something along the lines of an Africa Twin, or;
1.   Yamaha Tenere / XT500/600 etc series;
2.   BMW F650, R80/100GS, R11xxGS;
3.   Suzuki 650 singles;
4.   KTM Adventure;
5.   Honda XL600 series;
6.   Honda Transalp and Africa Twins;
7.   Kawasaki KLR650.

But happy to take suggestions! (Whether they be on the bike, route, overlanding, visas etc etc).

Cheers
Stu

If you looking for a UK registered bike then here is probably the best place to look
http://advrider.com/index.php

If you coming to South Africa and planning on doing Africa then maybe a carne' is a good idea.

As far as bikes go.....

maybe a single. DR 650, Xr650 or any of those bikes as they easy to work on and spares should'nd be too much of a hassel.

Keep us posted as it sounds like an amazing trip.
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • View Profile
    • Team 525
Hey Stu! Great trip - done chunks of it on bikes and bicycles. Very cool. I would stay away from an older bike - massive potential for things to go wrong.

If you're following a Defender speed is not of the essence. DR is prob the ultimate low maintenance trip bike, and capable everywhere.

If you want to buy in the U.K. and ship to the start consider a Yamaha tenere (not the original, the recent one). They're easy to come by and a good balance of all the required capabilities.

Good luck!

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
    • www.etiennexplore.com
Hi Stu,

An Aussie friend of mine (also based in Melbourne) has done a similar trip a few years ago in the opposite direction on a KTM690, he also has a wealth of vehicle and truck overlanding experience, both across Africa and South America. You can get hold of him on Facebook, or I get chat to him and ask him to get in touch with you.

https://web.facebook.com/Pat.davey78

Here are some details of his trip down Africa
https://web.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure/

Let me know!
 :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Casting from Turd

• Dont lick ass, You get a shit taste in your mouth! Ek is die DROL in jou drinkwater
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
Hi Stu,

An Aussie friend of mine (also based in Melbourne) has done a similar trip a few years ago in the opposite direction on a KTM690, he also has a wealth of vehicle and truck overlanding experience, both across Africa and South America. You can get hold of him on Facebook, or I get chat to him and ask him to get in touch with you.

https://web.facebook.com/Pat.davey78

Here are some details of his trip down Africa
https://web.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure/

Let me know!
 :thumleft: :thumleft:

That reminds me.
We had an Irishman come through that works and lives in the Kimberly. he traveled from Aussie through Tazmania and around the world on a DR 650

https://www.facebook.com/maurice.raleigh?
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero

Offline mike gs

• View Profile
Ensure you stay in front of the Defender, you don't want to slip on the oil slick!

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
Welcome and enjoy!
I would also say DR650 and yes, stay in front of the landy.
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline stuartlm

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
Thanks all that is great.

At the moment I think the choice of bike will be limited to what is available. Not coming across a lot, and I might just have to see what I can find when I get there..!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...I hate people. Yes, that includes you.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I am the goddamn Batman!
    • View Profile
Welcome friend! Enjoy our forum, many happy miles!!!