Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Rockfox soft luggage in the works  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

New Rockfox soft luggage in the works
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:51:07 pm »
After years and years of Alu panniers I realized there might be better/lighter options.  The last two years I looked at various options available in ZA but never found any to my liking. (Maybe I'm too full of shit)

Mike and I talked about adding luggage to our line of adventure products a few years ago and we actually designed and built a few Alu topbox and panniers.  We designed our own locks and hinges as well.  The project came to a temporary halt when we could not manufacture a seal for the lid. (Other than injection molding).  Every now and then soft luggage cropped up and a few months ago we decided to investigate the possibility of our own soft luggage range.

Criteria.
1. SOFT (not board filled pannier lookalike) - Except for built in exhaust protection stiffener in back.
2. WATERTIGHT. No extra inner to keep water out.
3. QUICK TO ATTACH AND REMOVE to any frame out there.
4. PROPER FIT to the rack. Not hanging like soft potato bags.
5. EASY TO PACK on and off the bike.
6. AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE but still as light as possible.
7. QUALITY materials.
8. PILLION comfort.
9. ATTACHMENT points for extra bags etc to the sides.
10. LOCKABLE for safety
11. ADJUSTABLE for various capacities.
12. CARRY HANDLE/STRAP (Tks Amsterdam for reminding me)

There are bags out there that conform to some of the criteria but we could not find ONE that tick all the boxes.

At the end we decided to use 'rubberduck' PVC with YKK buckles and quality straps as base.  The PVC 'material' is also used as truck tarpaulin and Jumping Castles.  The bags could be manufactured with either hot melt process, high frequency welding or heat activated glue.  Although the glue is much more labor intensive it is proven on millions of rubber ducks out there to be strong and reliable. We might look at high frequency welding in the future but it would require much higher capital layout. As there will initially be constant upgrades to the design the 'glue' bonding will give us more freedom.

As some design criteria clash we had to make various changes to the initial design like it now take less than 7 seconds to remove both bags. (Quick getaway for the thief)  Mounting the bags (empty or loaded) in less than 25 seconds. Provision to 'thread' a plastic covered stainless cable through D links and locked with padlock will secure the bags closed and not removable.

Bla Bla Bla.

The first prototypes will be at the Kyalami exhibition at the Rockfox stand.  'Constructive' comments from anyone passing will be appreciated.

Adie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:10:22 am by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Bard

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: New Rockfox soft luggage in the works
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:06:28 am »
Looks promising...ball park price and sizes? When will it be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Now there's only one way to ensure you’re enthusiastic about what you've chosen to do, with the ultimate aim of achieving success, and that is simply doing something you love doing." Jonathan Mills

Offline Oubones

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 05:56:14 am »
Looks good and It makes sense to have the whole bag waterproof.
I like your way of thinking.
On your ally boxes, why do you not use the rubber clip over seals like they use on car boots etc?
Just a thought.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Probie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The Great Outdoors are waiting for us
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:06:28 am »
Sub

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Tampan

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:20:38 am »
Sub

Offline JourneySA

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 06:25:54 am »
Looks great - please post sizes & prices when available..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:59:43 am »
 :thumleft: naais

Offline JonnyP

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 07:02:27 am »
 :thumleft:
Looks the part

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:35:24 am »
Looks good and I like the criteria you have used, especially to prevent the bags going up in smoke at the exhaust.  What have you actually done there, not visible on your pictures.

The one issue I have had with the clip in buckles is that they all end up breaking when you try to keep the bags nice and tight against the bike.  Maybe your design is an improvement for that.

I am not sure that the glueing of the bags is a better solution that the welding.  My limited experience with rubbernecks include a lot of reglue-ing.

And one issue that is not listed in your criteria: an easy way of carrying them when you take them off the bike.  Staggering into a hotel with filthy bags over your arms and no free hand to open a door has never won me any friends.  So maybe consider a shoulder strap or something similar to assist here.

Good luck with the development of these.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 08:19:20 am »
Good luck, Adie.

As always, we would obviously stock what you develop in soft luggage, given that it is a biggish 'raison d'etre' for us being in business in the first place!

Cheers
Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04:20 am »
A) Looks good and I like the criteria you have used, especially to prevent the bags going up in smoke at the exhaust.  What have you actually done there, not visible on your pictures.

B) The one issue I have had with the clip in buckles is that they all end up breaking when you try to keep the bags nice and tight against the bike.  Maybe your design is an improvement for that.

C) I am not sure that the glueing of the bags is a better solution that the welding.  My limited experience with rubbernecks include a lot of reglue-ing.

D) And one issue that is not listed in your criteria: an easy way of carrying them when you take them off the bike.  Staggering into a hotel with filthy bags over your arms and no free hand to open a door has never won me any friends.  So maybe consider a shoulder strap or something similar to assist here.

Good luck with the development of these.

Price will be around R 3 600.00 incl. at max.  Looking at what you get and what's available in ZA we think that is well well priced.  >:D

Availability. I am a big fan of 'co-operative' development to finally produce a better product.  We will probably manufacture the first 3 sets for ourselves where we will iron out the manufacturing and quality issues. The next few (probably 4) sets will be sold at a 'development' price.  So, to answer your question about availability.  The first sets must be available by end JUNE 2017.  (ek gaan my gat af moet werk  O0 )

@Amsterdam Answers
A) A 'plastic' sheet will be sandwiched to the back between PVC.  thickness and type to be finalized.  (Currently I just have hardboard on the inside  ;D

B) It is a concern but the YKK is well designed and world renowned for strength. The buckles attaching the bag to the frame is also removable so can be replaced without tools.  The 'attachment' buckles will also be 50mm and not 25mm as per current sample.

C) Ultimately we will go for high freq welding.  Unfortunately the design must be 'complete' before tooling can be designed.

D) Oops forgot to mention Carry strap. (Yup, that is what I call 'co-operative development'.)  Two options will be included. 1) A 'handle'  that will slip over the two top straps - not visible on the pics - that will always be in the center of the bag irrespective of how 'full' it is loaded. Removable if you do not need them,  2.) A Shoulder strap that clip in the D links. (Now, where to keep this while riding and no need to open the bag to 'get them out'  :-[

Nou moet ek eers bietjie werk.
Adie

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:08:20 am by Weedkiller - Adie »
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:07 am »
Looks great. 

Does it require brackets / frames for the bike?
If so, does the price include the brackets for the bike?
Just for comparison, do you know the capacity in liters?
Will it be available on other colours? 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:49:56 am »
Looks great. 

No brackets included.  We are however looking at more cost effective (lighter)  'frames' than the standard Rockfox units for soft luggage.

The first set is actually too WIDE at 230mm (Final size will be 200 x 350 x 450 .  (width of bike) but capacity will be variable as the top can be rolled up more or less (fokkin ingels) Max Capacity will be 31l.  By roling up the top a bit less you might even get 32.5l

Yes, any color as long it is BLACK.  >:D We are looking at Rockfox Orange for the strengthening behind the straps.  :)

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:16:51 pm »
Looks great. 

No brackets included.  We are however looking at more cost effective (lighter)  'frames' than the standard Rockfox units for soft luggage.

The first set is actually too WIDE at 230mm (Final size will be 200 x 350 x 450 .  (width of bike) but capacity will be variable as the top can be rolled up more or less (fokkin ingels) Max Capacity will be 31l.  By roling up the top a bit less you might even get 32.5l

Yes, any color as long it is BLACK.  >:D We are looking at Rockfox Orange for the strengthening behind the straps.  :)

Adie

Afrikaans sal ook werk.

Dankie vir die inligting.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:30:17 pm »
Orange straps as mentioned or something reflective at the rear will aid visibility and safety.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »
sub

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
Orange straps as mentioned or something reflective at the rear will aid visibility and safety.

Ons het gekyk na een of ander weerkaatsende 'panele' om dit meer sigbaar te maak. Van die sykant is daar redelik 'plek' maar van agter is dit maar 'n 'rommelry' van straps ens.  Op soek na opsies  :thumleft:

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline NoRush

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:28 pm »
Dit lyk baie goed. Veral die prys.  :thumleft:

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:28 am »
Lekker om te sien ons eie mense se vernuftigheid kom weer na vore.

Lyk baie na die Wolfman sakke wat ek gebruik en waarmee ek baie tevrede is. Soos met alles wat ingevoer is sal julle hulle 'n prys uitklophou kan gee. Hoe verskil julle monteer metode van hulle s'n? Op die foto's sien ek ook die belt wat oor die saal gaan.
'Tis the time’s plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline AJBotha

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:55 am »
Lyk great! Sub