New Rockfox soft luggage in the works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
After years and years of Alu panniers I realized there might be better/lighter options.  The last two years I looked at various options available in ZA but never found any to my liking. (Maybe I'm too full of shit)

Mike and I talked about adding luggage to our line of adventure products a few years ago and we actually designed and built a few Alu topbox and panniers.  We designed our own locks and hinges as well.  The project came to a temporary halt when we could not manufacture a seal for the lid. (Other than injection molding).  Every now and then soft luggage cropped up and a few months ago we decided to investigate the possibility of our own soft luggage range.

Criteria.
1. SOFT (not board filled pannier lookalike) - Except for built in exhaust protection stiffener in back.
2. WATERTIGHT. No extra inner to keep water out.
3. QUICK TO ATTACH AND REMOVE to any frame out there.
4. PROPER FIT to the rack. Not hanging like soft potato bags.
5. EASY TO PACK on and off the bike.
6. AS STRONG AS POSSIBLE but still as light as possible.
7. QUALITY materials.
8. PILLION comfort.
9. ATTACHMENT points for extra bags etc to the sides.
10. LOCKABLE for safety
11. ADJUSTABLE for various capacities.
12. CARRY HANDLE/STRAP (Tks Amsterdam for reminding me)

There are bags out there that conform to some of the criteria but we could not find ONE that tick all the boxes.

At the end we decided to use 'rubberduck' PVC with YKK buckles and quality straps as base.  The PVC 'material' is also used as truck tarpaulin and Jumping Castles.  The bags could be manufactured with either hot melt process, high frequency welding or heat activated glue.  Although the glue is much more labor intensive it is proven on millions of rubber ducks out there to be strong and reliable. We might look at high frequency welding in the future but it would require much higher capital layout. As there will initially be constant upgrades to the design the 'glue' bonding will give us more freedom.

As some design criteria clash we had to make various changes to the initial design like it now take less than 7 seconds to remove both bags. (Quick getaway for the thief)  Mounting the bags (empty or loaded) in less than 25 seconds. Provision to 'thread' a plastic covered stainless cable through D links and locked with padlock will secure the bags closed and not removable.

Bla Bla Bla.

The first prototypes will be at the Kyalami exhibition at the Rockfox stand.  'Constructive' comments from anyone passing will be appreciated.

Adie

Attachments

• Sak 1.JPG
    Sak 1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Sak 2.JPG
    Sak 2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,369