Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New KLE500 Clan Member  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Shaun500

Re: New KLE500 Clan Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 08:36:00 am »
You can get 270km out of a tank.Done it.But then you really have to take it slowly.
That's only commuting.  High speed touring I get about 220 km.

Offline Carl84

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 01:17:51 pm »
I get about 240km before reserve commuting. I have a 2006 Kle however have fitted the jets of the older model, think they are 112. Also have bigger old snorkel on the air box.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Offline Titanic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at 260.
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »
These are lovely bikes. I searched for about 6 months for 2nd crashbars, but could not find. Eventually I had to put in a special order and had to wait approximately 4 months for them. It was SWMotech and they were around R2500 a set.

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »
I get about 240km before reserve commuting. I have a 2006 Kle however have fitted the jets of the older model, think they are 112. Also have bigger old snorkel on the air box.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk
I've gone full circle with the jetting.  I tried the old models 112 jets and different needles, together with the rimfire airbox mod with larger snorkel and DNA performance air filter.  The fuel consumption was terrible and driveability wasn't really that great.  It was far to rich.  I'd get about 220 km until reserve...and that's only commuting  :o.  I found that stock air filter with two 6mm holes and mildly tuned carb (98/100 jets) worked best.  At least at coastal altitude. The backside dyno doesn't lie  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:49:27 am by Shaun500 »

Offline Carl84

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 04:15:23 pm »
I can relate!

I had my bike "professionally" dyno tuned by a place in Centurion - what they ended up doing was installing 135 main jets and removing the snorkel completely and running the bike without the front airbox cover (where the snorkel plugs in). On the dyno the power looked good but taking it out on the street, what a disaster! That open airbox caused big hesitation especially when going off throttle at 100kph and then opening the throttle back up. Obviously the CV carbs need some sort of airflow restriction to work properly. Also fuel consumption was not good at all.

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 09:45:09 pm »
200km to reserve is about right.
I get on average 270 km before reserve (12L) commuting.  Like I mentioned I have had some mild jetting done on the carbs (98/100 mains).  The air filter is standard but has two 6mm hole in the airbox for better breathing.  The air screw is tuned out about 2 and three quarter turns out.  With a free flow pipe the bike tends to run even leaner than it does with a standard one.
Wow 270km before reserve is very good! Certainly that must qualify  for one of the best fuel efficiencies for a KLE out there?

Can anyone equel or beat that??
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:13 pm »
These are lovely bikes. I searched for about 6 months for 2nd crashbars, but could not find. Eventually I had to put in a special order and had to wait approximately 4 months for them. It was SWMotech and they were around R2500 a set.

Yeah reading previous threads where people were looking for 2nd hand crash bars didn't seem promising.
Think I'll just get new ones...
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 09:54:12 am »
I can relate!

I had my bike "professionally" dyno tuned by a place in Centurion - what they ended up doing was installing 135 main jets and removing the snorkel completely and running the bike without the front airbox cover (where the snorkel plugs in). On the dyno the power looked good but taking it out on the street, what a disaster! That open airbox caused big hesitation especially when going off throttle at 100kph and then opening the throttle back up. Obviously the CV carbs need some sort of airflow restriction to work properly. Also fuel consumption was not good at all.
CV carbs can be a bitch to tune properly.  Altitude, rate of air flow, fueling etc. all have a big effect.  The common mistake most people make is sticking on K&N pod filters directly on the carbs and doing away with the air box.  It never works properly and the fueling is all over the place.  CV carbs NEED an air box to get the balance right.

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:56 pm »
So, on my next tank of petrol I got 199 km until reserve and a total fuel consumption of 17.79 km/L until just before empty.
No great at all. But there is hope.
Some experts are of the opinion that I can expect better fuel efficiency when using a stock exhaust, especially due to the extra couple of holes in the air box.
These extra holes are a result of the Tornado exhaust conversion the previous owner had done.

As stated in a different thread, I was looking for a standard zorst as the Tornado was just to loud to my liking. And most probably the neighbours in a 2 block radius.

Anyways, a fellow dog was willing to part with his standard zorst.
I received it last week and had it fitted last Saterday and took a couple of pics  :)
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »
The exhaust exchange was conducted at Noise Boys Silverton, and I must say, I'm very pleased with the service and level of competency.
When realising they were not going to take of the whole exhaust system but just operate as is, I got a bit nervous.
How do you cut of one zorst and weld on another without damaging the bike??

To following pics show the sequence of events...

Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »
The dismantling started...

Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 09:47:57 pm »
I wonder what that would sound like...
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 09:51:46 pm »
Now for the new zorst.
I was quite relieved when after some cutting and grinding the Joe came back with the standard pipe and it all seems to align nicely  :thumleft:

Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »
Welding it together. Had to be done from two sides.
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:32 pm »
The final product!  I like the look of the standard pipe a  lot more  ;D :thumleft:

However, over the past couple of weeks a kind of got used to the sound of the Tornado pipe.
While riding home, although the new pipe does have an appealing sound to it, it very much sounds like the growl of a wild dog that has lost one of his balls in fight somewhere.
The growl has a little bit less gusto   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm happy. The neighbourhood is happy.
And if I ever need to pull a Swart Kat or Straatvalk stealth mode for whatever reason, now I have that option available   ;) :)
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Oubones

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 05:46:39 am »
The final product!  I like the look of the standard pipe a  lot more  ;D :thumleft:

However, over the past couple of weeks a kind of got used to the sound of the Tornado pipe.
While riding home, although the new pipe does have an appealing sound to it, it very much sounds like the growl of a wild dog that has lost one of his balls in fight somewhere.
The growl has a little bit less gusto   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm happy. The neighbourhood is happy.
And if I ever need to pull a Swart Kat or Straatvalk stealth mode for whatever reason, now I have that option available   ;) :)
Looks neat.
You just need a nice screen and time to ride.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 06:36:32 am »
Regarding the exhaust, here is my mod..

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=167247.0
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:22 pm »

Thanks. Yes I agree. I'll read the posts again and will make an attempt at a bigger screen. One that is see-through  ;)
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline Ysman

• Pack Dog
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 09:23:31 pm »
Regarding the exhaust, here is my mod..

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=167247.0
SmuGS, I would be keen to know what your KLE sounds like with that exhaust fitted.
Great welding job! The new pipes compliments the bike.
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
Honda XR125L - Sold

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 06:17:25 am »
Ja the KTM exhaust is probably not as loud as the Tornado pipe you had but it has a bit of bark to it when you wind the bike up. I also live in a complex so have to keep the neighbors happy. The SX exhaust is louder than the EXC which is more restricted. I also have a Scorch pipe which I tried but that was way too loud, basically a 50mm straight through pipe..
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.