A ride in the country with me myself and I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
My Gs Solo Trip from Cape Town to Lesotho and Hole in the Wall

DAY ONE TO DAY TWO

I been wanting to do this trip since last year but at the time there was lots of rain about and i wasn’t that keen on riding mud roads….as this is not one of my strong points
anyway as things happened the opportunity presented itself recently… so i left home from Cape Town on Monday 22 May

Day 1 Cape Town to Merweville

The first place i wanted to see on my list was Merweville . Have been meaning to go there for a long time but either i missed the turn or ended up going past for some reason. This time it was my set destination and the route was Cape town to Wellington

Over Baineskloof pass to Ceres and then other side of Ceres dirt road

Direction Sutherland , just before Sutherland the turn to the right Merweville ….all these new roads for me…..

The roads were fair and i was the only person for miles…the pass down to Merweville was exceptionally stunning.

In the little town i found a place to stay the Springbok lodge owned by a retired NG Dominee. The only accommodation available for the night was a camp spot on the side of the lodge.
The old Dominee said the rate started at R180 for camping….I told him he must be smoking his socks as the camp terrain was just a sand patch long story short we ended up negotiating until he was no longer flexible at R120 for the night….i think he felt bad after i told him if there was at least grass it was another story….he brought me some wood and blitz to make a fire
That night i got stuck into my own food stash i had brought for the trip which in this case was Sardines and Salticrax washed down with my own Coffee…..
Funny how this is ok on a bike trip but don’t give me this at home …..

Anyway i made peace with camping in the dirt and early next morning got past my OCD self and rolled my tent up in the dust and sand….it wasn’t fun and by the time i was done i needed another shower…..
Anyway now I’ve seen Merweville

Day 2 Merweville to Nieu-Bethesda

Headed out on the back  gravel roads to Beaufort West where i stopped for fuel not too bad seeing as i last filled in Cape Town.Stopped at the Kentucky to get some brunch which I ate in the mountains.

From Beaufort West ,took the Molteno pass to Loxton then cut across to the N1 near three sisters then picked up the Nelspoort gravel to Murraysburg from Murraysburg some tar direction Graaf-Reinet then just before the Ouberg pass hit a left and took the two spoor gravel road to my next destination being Nieu-Bethesda

Nieu-Bethesda
A Nice quaint town in the valley also had never been there before but heard of this place lots.Seems like an arty farty place….but i wanted to just see the town ….not do museum visits not pub crawl…Stopped at the info centre just before closing and they guided me to a nice camp site lush with grass and R80 a night….compared to the previous place this was heaven and good value

As i was setting up my tent the uncle from across the way in the other campsite invited me over for a drink him being an old biker ….now retired.
We spent the night sharing  all sorts of biking war stories and drank so much Jaegermiester which he insisted on feeding me …..in the end didn’t have supper and went to bed slightly tipsy to say the least. It was a good evening

Saying Goodbye to my  drinking partner Chris Fox