Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The adventures of Captain Custard and I  (Read 2469 times)

Offline blauth

The adventures of Captain Custard and I
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
Sunday, 4th June 2017

If you're wondering who Captain Custard is......what's yellow and is spelled DRZ?

So after some toiling to find a DRZ in vaguely neat condition, I eventually found one. Not quite to my standards but a reasonable platform to work from. Spent the last three weeks (in between a crazy work schedule) getting a speedo, jetting sorted, suspension setup, wheels balanced, new clutch, locktight fixes common on these DRZ's in the stator, indicators working and so forth. It's now finally ready for roadworthy and for a decent test ride.

Its been a long time since I've been on anything resembling a dirt bike. My last was a KTM525 so my expectations were low for this DRZ, afterall, apart from the new gen KTM500 (and obviously new gen 450's), what else could live up to that?

Started heading out on Sunday morning on my lonesome along my cycling routes. I love riding on my own, you can do things at your own pace and go where you want. I was a little nervous because this was a recky ride on my new-to-me DRZ so who knew what could fall apart....especially since I had my fingers in there last..... :pot:

My cycling route consist of single track and jeep track mainly but some roads inbetween. Things were going rather well. My new clutch was nice and smooth and not grabbing and dragging anymore. Suspension in the back is spot on, front suspension fast speed compression damping is shit but overall damping is actually very effective. The combo between the D606 (pumped hard) and the front suspension, despite being hard as hell, really sticks to the ground affording good grip. It wasn't long before I got to a point on my cycle route where I always wonder "where does that path go?" So with HP instead of leg power, I legged it up the route, heading into the mountains.

What an awesome path! A short while after I decided to do some single track in the mountains again. I didn't really anticipate the single track becoming serious dirt bike climbing. Lets just say, my new clutch took some serious abuse (my DRZ is geared 15/44 ....very long for road use). At one point I thought I killed the clutch because it wouldn't release anymore, thankfully pretty close to the top of the climb. After I let it cool down again and adjusted it again, it's working ok again.....shew.....almost the shortest life span of a clutch in history....less than 24 hours old.

I realized when I was at the top that I was uncomfortably close to a khaya (on the side of the mountain, go figure) with a number of unsavoury looking dweller heading in my direction. This was a good opportunity to refresh my decending skills.

Thereafter, the ride was faster flowing riding along the canals past Harties and then home for a beer with a mate. All in all, I'm more than a little impressed with this bike. It's pretty quick, handles well and can do tar ok as well. I'm seriously unimpressed with the close ratio box but this is something I knew and didn't come as a surprise. As for the seat, ja well......we'll need to do something about that.

Here are some pics.

The rest of the ride was sed
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:25:48 pm by blauth »

Offline blauth

Re: Testing out the DRZ on a one day outing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »
Here are some of the climb...gradient is never very visible from the pics.

Offline blauth

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:04:06 pm »

Offline blauth

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:04:55 pm »
and going over dam wall at Harties.

Offline Hankeeb

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:23:32 pm »
Nice! Looks like fun riding!

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:52 am »
Nice when you can ride over babies heads AND tar, all on the same day, all on the same bike ......  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:19 pm »
Very nice although I have to say after owning a DRZ for 5 years and then a 525 except for slightly longer service intervals the DRZ had nothing over the RFS which had longer gearing, tons more power and better suspension  :3some:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »
Very nice although I have to say after owning a DRZ for 5 years and then a 525 except for slightly longer service intervals the DRZ had nothing over the RFS which had longer gearing, tons more power and better suspension  :3some:

Yup, I have to agree and technically, the 525 is far ahead with it's ability to lug at low RPM without flaming out. Problem of course is trying to find a roadworthy RFS. I'm a bit over the riding illegal bikes on the road.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »

Yup, I have to agree and technically, the 525 is far ahead with it's ability to lug at low RPM without flaming out. Problem of course is trying to find a roadworthy RFS. I'm a bit over the riding illegal bikes on the road.
No we had at least 3 between us (525's on the road). Most people just never bother to get the papers from KTM and you can often go that route. But yes certainly not as freely available as DRZ's.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blauth

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:51:29 pm »
Nice when you can ride over babies heads AND tar, all on the same day, all on the same bike ......  :thumleft:

Yeah, I get a kick out of that. It's incredibly versatile .... except for the gearbox ratios.

Offline blauth

Re: The adventures of Captain Custard and Me
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »
Log Entry: Sunday 11th June, 2017.

So Captain Custard and I were at it again today. Today we decided we'd see how she handles sand so decided to go from Maraisburg to Uncle Harry's and then maybe on to Magaliesburg, depending on how I felt. Riding alone, I'd take basic spares in case of a crash or puncture and because I haven't done anything about a decent rack yet, these sit on my back.....and this consists of four tube (I know, was always wondering why my bag was so heavy, just grabbed it as it's my universal adv riding bag and I knew there were tubes inside, just didn't know how many, anyway, four is a little overkill.), tools, tyre levers, bicycle pump, and a Black Label cap......

Now I've done this route a few times on dirt bikes and my XR once but a long time ago so I have no idea where I was going really. I did have my phone and a GPS, possibly the shittest GPS known to man the 62s......did I mention it's a piece of shit? How lost could I get?

Some background first, I've been tinkering on my bike so today was testing out some of the changes I'd done. Changes included:
- Increase preload more on rear shock. Personally, I like have my static sag on the hardish side.
- Removed the fuel enrichener thingy from the carb....it says on the internet that you should do this and because I believe everything I read on the internet....I did this.
- Heat shrink a bit of plastic tube on the air/fuel adjuster screw so it can be adjusted without removing the carb.
- Fitted a tail tidy and removed the plastic wedding dress from the rear.
- Fitted new rear wheel bearings....they were toast. I'm super impressed with the wheel bearings on the rear wheel on the DRZ. Easy to fit and it has two big bearings on the sprocket side.....good thinking Suzuki.

Well, it wasn't 100m over the first whoops and I'd already felt like Captain Custard was trying to ass rape me. The rebound was way to low and it was hitting me in the ass on every whoop. Pulled over and added 5 clicks more rebound damping. Ok, that's sorted, rear suspension is lekker now. Compression damping is good on both high and low speed. Spring preload is nice and manages the woops well.

Not even 3km on and I'd already lost the route. Back track a little and then I picked up some okes on dirt bikes. I must have looked very lost because the oke just waved for me to follow them and we hadn't even chatted. I dig dirt bikers.....

Anyway, things were going great, sand handling KTM300 but not bad for a big dirt bike with super shit rear tyre pumped at 1.6 bar and D606 also pumped at 1.6 bar. I ride tyres hard because I'm not really a fan of impact punctures. If you change your riding style and ride just a bit slower it rides ok albeit a little hard. We did a few climbs. I'm rusty on a dirt bike and technically I was on my own so I didn't try be too clever. I didn't make all the climbs, resulting in the very ungracious turning bike around and going back down again. but it was good to be doing some technical riding again after so long.

I left the okes while they were playing on some of the bigger dumps. I'm sure it will come back to me.....well, it didn't. Now I've landed myself up in the middle of a squatter camp riding in-between shacks where sewage is running down every little lane. Jeez, it's shit to live like that. I'll be honest, the okes could see I was lost and tried their best to direct me. I stopped next to one oke who had his little secondary mining setup going to chat and ask direction. Friendly fella. He asked if I wanted to buy gold. I respectfully declined. I asked him if it was worth his while and he very enthusiastically nodded his head.

Anyway, I made my way out of the squatter camp having mixed feelings about the state of affairs in RSA but those thoughts are for the 'Religion and Politics' thread.

From my vantage point, I could see some dirt bikes in the distance. I headed in that direction, sure they were also off to Uncle Harry's. I figured, your either coming or going to Uncle Harry's, so off I headed. I picked up some other friendly dirt bikers and followed them for a bit. We parted ways again when they stopped to play and I wanted to keep moving. Things were looking more familiar now. I stopped on top of the three big dumps to chat to some okes. An older fella just said, follow the tracks, and pointed, so that's what I did. No more getting lost. It was pretty straight forward from there. Before descending off the mine dumps, I snapped a pic or two.

Then I headed down to that longish single track section. It was all going great until I thought to myself. This is a loose bumpy section but it's weird, it doesn't look so bumpy. Anyway, the inevitable....puncture. Look around I saw an ant hill that would serve as a suitable paddock stand. Stabilized Captain Custard ...sort of and started on the back wheel. Next thing, Captain Custard was felling a little drowsy and had decided to take a nap.....on it's side. In my hast to grab it, I broke off the number plate and put the back of my hand against the exhaust......sssssssss.

Fok Donner Blicksem!!!!! The profanities flowed freely.....  :o

Anyways, The puncture turned out to be a piece of glass. Never had a puncture from glass before. And it was through a knobbly. I'm gonna go with 'freak puncture'. Anyway, wasn't too long and I was underway again. Thankfully I hadn't repeated my usual pass time of pinching the tube when I put the tyre back on. The rest was pretty uneventful. Made it to Uncle Harry's and chowed a burger and beer. I didn't head to Magalies. Was lazy after the burger so headed to a mates house for another beer....this one would be free.   >:D

A few pics.

Offline blauth

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:01:39 pm »
Fixing the puncture....

Offline blauth

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 08:04:44 pm »
The offending piece of glass....    :eek7:   Amstel....should have known.

And a pic at Uncle Harry's

Offline skydiver

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 09:43:24 pm »
The rear looks much better after the tail tidy  :thumleft:
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:05 pm »
 :sip: :sip:
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline blauth

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »
The rear looks much better after the tail tidy  :thumleft:

It's a DRC kit. Was R650. Not too bad and it looks like great quality. Came with the electrical connectors, tail light is a nice LED unit and it came with decent quality nuts and bolt (which I didn't end up using) but in my nuts and bolts container for the next job.

The indicators actually bolted onto the tabs on the rear fender. That was a luck.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 03:23:39 am »
Close up of the tail tidy please, and from underneath? Where from? Have a DRC on the 610 TE. Need one for the 510 TE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Jovan

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:18:52 am »
Great story B  :sip:

Offline blauth

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:58 am »
Close up of the tail tidy please, and from underneath? Where from? Have a DRC on the 610 TE. Need one for the 510 TE.

Got it from OffRoad Cycles. Runner.

Will post some close ups later.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 06:24:53 pm »

Got it from OffRoad Cycles. Runner.

Will post some close ups later.
Thank you. Appreciate!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE