Throttle cable tension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So I have noticed from the start that the throttle cable tension on the left is more slack than on the right, simply by pushing on the cable where it connects to the throttle body pulley. Pushing the cable on the left has no effect on idling RPM, but on right it does. Somehow, I can still do TB sync.

The point is that I'd like to change this, so yesterday I increase tension on the left and try to do a TB sync, but I end up having to close the BBS on the right completely to get equal air..

So perhaps do the test described above, do you also have this issue? Secondly, is it an issue?

BTW, here is a real valuable tip, if your cold starting is painful seeing idling around 1k RPM or less on a cold morning, and it eventually slowly creeps up to +-1100RPM, adjust fast idle cable. There is an adjuster. Man, I can't believe I only did this now. I've set mine to idle around 1400/1500RPM cold with fast idle is engaged (middle setting).

There is a technical side as to why cold idle is such an issue if RPM is low at idle, all kinds of things are affected, basically the alternator needs to start charging the battery ASAP, otherwise spark advance (motornic advances when starting cold) is affected, injection pulse is affected, coil current is affected... it makes for a recipe that makes the boxer chug.

You can also set the throttle cable tension when the cable enters the rhs switchgear. you want 0.5m play, so decrease tension till idling RPM stops coming down, and then decrease tension a bit more