Rear Brake issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi, some advice would be appreciated, but the details are perhaps not detailed enough:

I have had rear brake problems for a while - mostly some binding of the pads to the disc, i.e. didn't release properly. I had a couple of incidents of smouldering brakes - luckily not to the point of the disc starting to glow and also no distortion (thank goodness).

- I smoothed the pin on which the pads float and cleaned the calliper pistons. It seems that this solved the binding problem, but then, later, the rear brake failed completely - I would step on it, all the way to the bottom, without the brakes reacting at all.
- Then I took it to the mechanic with a master cylinder kit. He bled the brakes and said "it didn't really need the master cylinder kit" but I assume he replaced seals anyway (since he didn't give me any parts back). The brakes seemed to work for 2 or 3 stops, then the same problem - step on it all the way to the bottom, but no brakes
- I also tried to bleed the brakes at home (again). For the first few pumps, I got some fluid through the system and after a while some bubbles came out. Then, no matter what I do, the brake pedal goes all the way to the bottom without pushing any fluid through the system! What!?

My very limited knowledge of braking systems make me suspect that it is a master cylinder problem and that either:
- the mechanic didn't replace the seals; or
- there's an overall failure in the master cylinder (which I don't understand at all . . . so not even sure if this is possible)

Could it be that boiling the brakes (because of the binding) has caused some other damage?. The brake line itself is standard (not braided).
Thanks!