F800GS rear wheel bearing replacement question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelis+

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I have a 2012 F800GS with 50 000km.  I have replaced the 2  bearings in the rear wheel hub.  Heating the hubs for a minute or so with a heat gun made the removal much easier with the blind extraction tool.  I therefore also pre-heated the hubs before driving in the new bearings.  The Haynes manual recommended the draw method (with a threaded bolt) to replace the bearings, but I drove in the left hand bearing first and fitted the circlip.  I then carefully drove in the right hand bearing until the spacer had no lateral movement, but the bearings still tuned smoothly.  I initially drove in the second bearing slightly so much, as the bearings were not turning completely smoothly.  I lifted the second bearing slightly with the blind extraction tool and drove the bearing in ever so slightly until no play of the spacer, and the bearing turning smoothly.  I would like to know if this would be acceptable instead of using the drawing method.  I am concerned that there would be lateral pressure on the bearing when the axle bolt is torqued.

Out of interest, the bearing in the sprocket mount was gritty - it had a white deposit on the bearing, possibly caused by water or salt water.  The bearing in the wheel hub felt smooth but I replaced them anyway.