West Coast, Solo of the not it's happening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortbroek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
There is a long weekend at the end of this week.

I have for a while now wanted to do a trip up the west coast on dirt and twee spoor avoiding tar as far as possible.
At this stage it is only me. Anyone will be welcome to join off course, especially people familiar with my intended route  :deal:  .

My plan is to start out from Stellenbosch on Friday morning and work my way up the coast to either Groenriviermond or maybe even to Hondeklipbaai.  From there I want to turn inland to either Garies or Bitterfontein to fuel up then I'll head south to Lutzville and from there through the Cederberg via Eselsbank and back home.

Attached is a gpx of roughly my planned route(split in 2 due to size). Depending on how I feel I might change it as I go along.  I want to do about 400km a day max. The section from Lutzville to Hondeklipbaai I do not know at all, I do know it is supposed to be sandy and challenging. If I'm solo I might not do this section as my sand experience is limited. I'm also basing my expectation of that section on this limited experience so it might be a lot harder or a lot easier, at least I have the right bike.  :deal:

For the section from Lutzville to Garies it looks like I'll need 300km range. I normally get 13-14kml on the XR. I'll be carrying 29L of petrol so I reckon riding sand, conservatively I'll run out at the 290km mark.  Should be an interesting experiment.  I might need borrow a second 5L jerrycan  :lol8:

Attachments

• Stb-Lutzville.gpx
    178 KB · Views: 30
  • Lutzville-Hondeklipbaai-Stb.gpx
    550.9 KB · Views: 33