Hydraulic to manual camchain tensioner mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heddles

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
A KTM, be it an old 950 or a new 1290, has a very recognisable sound that comes from the engine. They are noisy engines in design but it is possible to quieten them down considerably in a few areas.

Myself and an old friend, a very clever man, I wish I was clever like him..  :ricky: have developed a manually adjustable camchain tensioner for them. I have now fitted them to six bikes, including two of my own and they really work well.

Firstly guys, the LC8 engine in its standard form, will more than likely need a set of camchains and tensioners and guides at about 60000 kms. These tensioners are not designed to solve high mileage issues. You might get away with just fitting them but know that the camchains have stretched as well as the plastic guides in the engine that keep the chains in shape, will have worn. This contributes to cam timing going out, be it slightly, it will be retarded nonetheless. This makes for tuning being a nightmare.

So this thread is to make people aware that I have them available firstly, then the other reason is that I need dead hydraulic tensioners.
If anyone has them, I would appreciate them being donated to the cause. I will pay to have them sent to me or fetch if they are in Cape Town.
Let's make a deal here. For every ten sets, I will trade a set of manual tensioners.

Cost for a set, is 1000 bucks. With your set as exchange. You will need instructions as to how to fit them which will be included with the product... Or alternately, get someone who knows his way around a KTM, to fit them for you. First prize is to have them fitted at a tappet clearance set but they can be fitted at a different stage  if the mechanic knows his oats.