Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DIY Installation of LED Spots on a bike  (Read 471 times)

Offline Edgar

• Bike: Gomoto (all models)
    • View Profile
DIY Installation of LED Spots on a bike
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:26 am »
Hi, I am in the process to install some LED Spots on the bike. I obtained a very useful article from the "Extreme Lights" website that explains in detail how to do the installation yourself. I however have a question for the guys who have done it before.

In the diagram it shows that I must use a diode in the wiring harness that I am building. My question is, which diode must I use, and where can I find one? My second question is, looking at the diagram, will the spots be on permanently, or only if i switch the headlight to bright?

I previously installed a lightbar on my bakkie with a complete harness that I simply bought from an 4x4 store. Easy plug-and-play installation, but for the bike I want to build it myself, and electronics is not my strong suite.

Any advice is much appreciated!  :thumleft:

Offline ktmkobus

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Installation of LED Spots on a bike
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:30:13 am »
http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Browse?search=Diodes

You'll get your answer from them regarding diode if you take your diagram with.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:35:54 am »
That diode makes no sense to me. The relay just needs that bottom left pin (in the pic) to be live (which will happen when you switch on your headlight) and it'll close the switch for the top two pins. Simple.

Having "Headlight" on that diagram is a bit vague. You will have two wires (among others) going to your headlight; one for high beam and one for low. Personally I would use the high beam one so your spots only come on when you're on high beam.

What worked really well for me was a 5 pin relay. It maintains the functionality mentioned above but also allows you to switch on your spots from a separate switch, even if your lights are on low beam.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:56:27 am »
http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Browse?search=Diodes

You'll get your answer from them regarding diode if you take your diagram with.  :thumleft:

Dankie  :thumleft:

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:05 am »
That diode makes no sense to me. The relay just needs that bottom left pin (in the pic) to be live (which will happen when you switch on your headlight) and it'll close the switch for the top two pins. Simple.

Having "Headlight" on that diagram is a bit vague. You will have two wires (among others) going to your headlight; one for high beam and one for low. Personally I would use the high beam one so your spots only come on when you're on high beam.

What worked really well for me was a 5 pin relay. It maintains the functionality mentioned above but also allows you to switch on your spots from a separate switch, even if your lights are on low beam.

The diode was also strange to me. According to the installation guide the purpose of the diode is to prevent reversed current surges when the current through the solenoid changes. This had me stumped, because on the wiring harness of my bakkie there is only a 3 pin relay, and that works just fine. I like the 5 pin relay idea and having a separate switch for the spots.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:13:18 pm »

A bit more info to do it 'Properly'  but also depending on your use for the spots.

Depending on the bike it could be totally different wiring.

1. Always available as 'Visibility' aid. (technically illegal if I'm not mistaken) Can get by cops as a 'driving light'
2. As a 'true' Spot, Only available if the bike is on BRIGHT.

1. The feed to the spots must only be 'live' if the engine is running to prevent draining the battery. (As far as I know most 'Single bulb' systems will switch between 'either' dim or bright whereas dual bulb systems 'add' the bright.  This will require the feed to be tapped from the engine electrics on single bulb systems (even available on 'plastics') or DIM for dual bulb (Dim permanent on) systems.

2. From the BRIGHT on any systems.

I will always advise to add a manual switch as well.

The diode is not 'strictly' required as there 'should' be no 'back emf' from that coil big enough to damage any electronics when the relay 'release'.  They probably add it as a safety against any possible claims. (OK if you use a moerse groot relay there could be back emf )
Read this: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/56322/do-i-need-a-flyback-diode-with-an-automotive-relay

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Fuck the ANC! and all that still support them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:25 pm »
you 1st need to decide how/when you WANT the spots to work, then a diagram can be decided on

Offline OomD

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • CANSwitch
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:47 pm »
That diode is a flyback diode. It does not make the circuit work, all it does is prevent the back EMF Of the relay's coil from causing havoc to your vehicle's electronics.

FYI, a relay (like any coil) stores energy when it is energized. When the relay is swiched off, the energy stored in the coil is released, causing a voltage spike as it releases. This is called back EMF (Electro Magnetic Force). But, the back EMF voltage has the opposite polarity than what was originally applied to the coil. Thus, the diode does nothing normally, but when the back EMF emerges the diode actually conducts, effectively shortiing out the backEMF voltage an thus preventing it from creating large spikes that could damage you bike's electronics.

This back EMF could reach hundreds of volts, and zap other circuitry into oblivion. Do not use relays without a flyback diode.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:14:33 pm by OomD »

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:29:10 am »
Guys, thanks so much for the replies I appreciate it. My idea was to have the spots on when the brights are also on, but I also like the idea to be able to switch them on separately if the need arises. I realize that they may not be legal just as a lightbar is also not legal on a vehicle. They are however very small... 

Offline DakarDirk

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:07:34 am »
Edgar I had my spots on a previous 800GS just like you want yours.
All I did was to connect the (separate) trip wire (connected to the headlight high beam wire) directly to the relay with a handlebar switch in line.
The power to the spots will only be activated when the trip wire from the high beam closes the connection at the relay, but you'll have the choice to switch the high beam activation off with the switch between the high beam and the relay.
Hope it makes sense.
I had no diode and don't see the need for one.
It seems that the Switched Power switch in the diagram is also the switch for the headlight. Then the spots will be on with the headlight all the time.
Just put your handlebar switch between the headlight (main beam) and relay (in the trip wire), not between the headlight and battery.

Offline OomD

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • CANSwitch
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
Do not leave out the diode. One day you'll wonder why your ECU has stopped working, and you'll never think to look at the spotlight relay for the cause.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • Fuck the ANC! and all that still support them
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 12:26:25 pm »
Guys, thanks so much for the replies I appreciate it. My idea was to have the spots on when the brights are also on, but I also like the idea to be able to switch them on separately if the need arises. I realize that they may not be legal just as a lightbar is also not legal on a vehicle. They are however very small...

take a look at this circuit

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:00:25 pm by Bundu »

Offline Edgar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:11:36 pm »
Thanks bundu  :thumleft:

Offline Edgar

• View Profile