The BMW R11*0GS Natal Midlands bike breaker gathering 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So the R11*0GS group decided to have an annual gathering, so when, well the long weekend seemed good (and mid winter of course). So there were a few groups, but the largest (13 strong) all congregated at the Blockhouse after meeting in Harties, Centurion, Midrand etc.  8)

Some coffee and breakfast for some and off in the mist on the backroads to Harrismith, where it was sunny, some youngsters were bitching about sore backs etc, straightening it out.  ::)

The GSV in her glory. :biggrin:

Posing at Sterkfontein about 95% full.  :3some:

Then we got the bad news, Timmy riding on his own from Queenstown, had binned it on the Lower Loteni road, a steep downhill with loose rock and a sharp right hander at the bottom, luckily he was ok.  :-\

The group carried on to Mooi River, Rosetta, Kamsberg and our somewhat Rustic venue.  :-[

Lovely views  :biggrin:

And we met our Hosts, Mike and co.  :peepwall:

We had a nice steak braai (eventually) having to resort to gas as the firewood was wet and off to bed, it was chilly. :eek7:

Had some breakfast and luckily two guys Jay and his brother had driven up from the Cape to ride Sani, so we had a recovery backie. Off to recover Timmy’s bike from the farm on the lower Loteni road a very nice ride. :snorting: :snorting:

When we got to Timmy’s bike it looked better than expected, panniers screen trashed but otherwise mainly cosmetic definitely repairable.  8)

So then we dropped the bike off and left Timmy to rest and watch camp as we went for Lunch, Nottingham Road Brewery.  :snorting: :snorting:

The Bierfassl for lunch  :biggrin:

My ladies portion of Eiswien :eek: :snorting: :snorting:

So after lunch, we all ambled off back to the campsite, as I came over a rise I saw a huge cloud of dust, Murdoch had hit a buck, gone off the road and binned it.  :eek:

Murdoch was relatively good (it could have been a lot worse), but the bike was a bit trashed, a local farmer organised an ambulance and a trailer, big ups to them. :thumleft:

The paramedics were excellent and stabilised Murdoch and took him off to Pietermaritzburg.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

A survivor from a pannier (which didn’t survive the evening)! :biggrin:

Whilst we had our days fun, three of the guys, Ross, Jay and his brother had been off to do Sani, an ice waterfall!

A permanent ice sheet,

Sani Top pub.

Which gave da Peeg and myself enough reason to go do Sani on the Sunday, but that as they say is another story.  :snorting: :snorting: :sip:

Murdoch is recovering well with his new shoulder and should be home at the weekend.  :biggrin:

The Welsh and da Peeg, how to throw an R1150GS off a mountain and survive, will follow later.  :sip: :snorting: :snorting: