Garmin certainly knows how to make money...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Louis

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Ok, here's my story, I haven't decided yet what to do. Bought a Zumo 660 some 5 years ago. Worked like a charm. With Africa maps and all. Used it up to Malawi and all, no problem. End of last year, the unit packed in. Navworld confirmed, that they (Garmin) do not support such an old unit any more, but I can use it as a paperweight. Alternatively, they offered me to buy a new equivalent GPS at R 12,000.

No thanks. Bought a Cellphone holder and a UPS plug, free software. All together about R 900 after selling my old functioning parts etc. The problem is, that the cellphone alternative draws data as opposed to the GPS. Travelling in neighbouring countries needs roaming or Wifi, i.e. not a solution.

Got a second hand Zumo660 now, transferred my (bought and paid for) SD card into the new unit. As it is from good old Germany, it does not have the Africa Maps on it. Neither does it accept my "old" SD card, which I thought contains the Africa Maps.

Not so. The maps are set up for that specific unit, you can not transfer maps or use the old SD card. You can buy that again at R 1.800. Lifetime maps my arse! :xxbah:

Anybody out here who has got the software and knows how to download onto my 660?  :peepwall: