Baviaanskloof - road condition? (For a R9t)... A possibility?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Good day everyone

I'm planning a road trip through sections of South Africa with my BMW R9T, unmodded... The normal 2014 model. I've done gravel roads before - like Ceres to Citrsudal (which was quite a harsh road) and the road coastal road after Gansbaai to Cape Algulhas.

My future bike will be an adventure bike - yes - but of course we have one constraint = $$$ - and I want to keep my R9T as well.

Hence my first proper bike trip will be on my R9T, and in turn I will embrace the adventure bike more as well...

So my question is: What is the road condition on baviaans kloof?
Is it a "normal and smooth" dirt road that a normal car, let us say 320i can drive?
Is it a road that my bike can handle without "crossing fingers" getting a puncture?

OR if the road is too bad, is there at least a section that I can drive and then spend the night somewhere (camp or accomodation)?

[For those interested: my road trip will start in Cape town - go up Wuppertal - Sunderland - Carnarvon - hopetown - and Gariepdam, where I will stay for a couple of days on a farm with family - then making my way down via Cradock - to Baviaanskloof. My father lives in Mosselbay who is my next stop after Baviaanskloof - hence he could assist if there were problems with my bike... - ofcourse dependent on signal]...

Any advice would be appreciated:
    • On Baviaanskloof;
      the road - accommodation;
      as well as the rest of my trip for nice places to stay (camp or accommodation)...

Oh, I will be doing the trip solo - but the first night my partner would be doing it with me, hence I was thinking Lamberts bay and eating at Muisbosskerm...
The trip would start on the 15th of July - would be in freestate on the farm at the 19th/20th and would be at Baviaanskloof on the Monday, 24th or 25th of July.

Regards
Magneet