Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why is all the good riding so far away from Kathu...  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Xpat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: Why is all the good riding so far away from Kathu...
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »
Xpat. Have you ever looked at a way to go along the boarder from Twee Rivier to Rietfontein avoiding the main routes. I see there is some sort of track there.

No, I haven't. Chances are those tracks are on private land - Namibia is as bad as SA in terms of public land. But I don't know that for sure and if you find out they are public, please let me know.

P.S. Ask Rickus (that is his name as well as his WD name) - he is from Koes and knows the area very well. I believe he is the main organizer of Koes rally.

Offline Rickus

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2017, 12:41:49 pm »
Xpat. Have you ever looked at a way to go along the boarder from Twee Rivier to Rietfontein avoiding the main routes. I see there is some sort of track there.

No, I haven't. Chances are those tracks are on private land - Namibia is as bad as SA in terms of public land. But I don't know that for sure and if you find out they are public, please let me know.

P.S. Ask Rickus (that is his name as well as his WD name) - he is from Koes and knows the area very well. I believe he is the main organizer of Koes rally.

We have contemplated this route before....it will be doable with some prep work and some organizing from the farm owners, luckily I know quite a few of them......this terrain is very harsh though and some of the BIGGEST dunes of the Kalahari are found along this piece of the border.

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline armpump

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2017, 07:19:13 am »
Awesome read thanks for sharing

Offline Tampan

« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2017, 04:08:32 pm »
I grew up, and still farm between Van Zylsrus and Askham, not too far from Middelputs. Well done Xpat and all I can say is that you have GUTS man, taking that part of Botswana on like you did! :thumleft:

Offline Dustdevil

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:34 pm »
Day 2 & 3

Route on Day 2:

That road north out of Tshabong is another great adventure waiting.
It runs parallel to Mabuasehube nature reserve and finally reaches Ghanzi.
It is a sand track of the double version and goes through some real lion country.
Have been trough there in a 4x4 but would love to do it on a bike.

Great read on the rest of the story. Love those remote tracks but would not recommend riding them alone.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:02:25 am by Dustdevil »

Offline Xpat

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:59 am »
Thanks 👍

That road north out of Tshabong is another great adventure waiting.
It runs parallel to Mabuasehube nature reserve and finally reaches Ghanzi.
It is a sand track of the double version and goes through some real lion country.
Have been trough there in a 4x4 but would love to do it on a bike.

Great read on the rest of the story. Love those remote tracks but would not recommend riding them alone.

Been there and have done it 3 years ago on the way to Kaokoland. Here is the report: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168377.20