Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Small Bore Singles (450 and below) - collective review  (Read 3285 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Small Bore Singles (450 and below) - collective review
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2020, 08:47:31 am »
A serious problem with smallbore adventure bikes is their lack of power, or more specifically, torque.

A day-outing on a bike with no luggage is a far cry from a multiple day with luggage, and add to this long days and wind/hills, and it can become a difficult ride for some.

Unless you buy and convert a Yamaha WR to become, kicking and screaming, a D/S bike, what is the point of a 145kg 250cc, if one can also have a 145kg 701?

I'd argue that all it requires is a mind set change.....and once you embrace that change, it's quite liberating.

These things are not around the world travelers except for someone trying to prove a point. They are lightweight, no fuss, low maintenance, low fuel commuters, reliable and cheap for the masses. It's only the Cafe Racer genre that have idolized this into a cult status (me being one of those).  Which have kinda screwed the pooch because cheap is no longer.

I mention I went up Sani on my ANF125 scooter in a 300km+ day. Admittedly, I got some strange looks and at that altitude, power was barely enough to get to the top. This scoot, I bought basically new from Honda in roughly  2014/15 for R11500.00. It had zero mileage but they had stripped mirrors, luggage rack and seat bracket off to repair other bikes for the post office who had a fleet of them.

I really like small bikes, and have done a lot of riding on them. If I were to ride around the globe, I would probably go for Yamaha's XT250.  Low seat height, low[ish] weight, frugal with tyres, chains and fuel,

and I would not do a world "whirlwind" tour, so cruising speed of max 100 is just fine.

I really think that a bike like the XT500, with minor improvements like front only disc brake, electronic ignition like the SR, would still make a fantastic D/S bike.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2020, 09:11:43 am »
@2StrokeDan
Why not just adventurise a SR500?
If I look at where people have gone with GS700's then the mag wheels should be ok?
I have one that is why I am asking.
Lower and much lighter than my lazyboy( 650 dakar) and very easy to handle!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Lem

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2020, 09:20:11 am »
Cool thread this  :thumleft:

The past few years I have realised that I don't get the time to hop on a big bike and ride to another province, ride around for a few days & then ride back.

But with the right small bike ... I can load it on a trailer, take it with me on holiday and book the family in wherever and then disappear on some dirt & technical routes for a night or two  :thumleft:

The TTR250 ... ticks all the boxes for me. I need one in my life  :deal:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2020, 09:34:59 am »
A serious problem with smallbore adventure bikes is their lack of power, or more specifically, torque.

A day-outing on a bike with no luggage is a far cry from a multiple day with luggage, and add to this long days and wind/hills, and it can become a difficult ride for some.

I'd argue that all it requires is a mind set change.....and once you embrace that change, it's quite liberating.

These things are not around the world travelers except for someone trying to prove a point. .........

So true @blauth
I was looking to downsize for about 3 years before I finally did it.  For me it was simple, I wanted a new challenge, not the weight, not the price, not the reliability, just enough power and a lot of fun.  At the end my capacity/power was set at 300cc.  I know nothing about kW or Horse power other than one got 4 legs and must be a bigger number than the one without legs for the same oomph.  >:D 

I took the little Zontes 310 on some routes that the majority of riders might not even attempt and had more fun than on the 800 for the simple reason it was a 4 times bigger challenge!!!!!  I did du Toits and Bains whilst still running the bike in and could easily keep the speed higher then 115kph on the uphill.  AND it take the sharp turns better than a big DS bike.  :)  A fairly strong headwind from Gouda back did bring the speed down to about 80kph.

Ont thing I learnt, we are utterly spoiled with even a average DS bike offroad capabilities.  We think we are riding Gods but in the meantime it is actually the capabilities of the bike!!  I dare you to get on one of these (non offroad orientated 17/19" fronts) bikes in the technical tracks, I am not talking about the 250 Rally or Versys or BMW pretenders, you are going to WORK but the feeling of achievement is so much bigger.

Ohh and everybody suggest, add, spoke wheels, fit a 21" front, upgrade the suspension, do this, do that, make it more offroad cabpable. Ohh for Fook sakes, then I could just have bought an more offroad capable bike or keep the 800.

Another mindset thing, everything I add to the bike for my long trips like luggage racks, luggage plate are thinner, lighter etc.  What is the sense in a 150kg bike with 100th kgs accessory's before even luggage.  Actually even my already light tools and luggage was on a slimming spree.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Online Pullaway

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:35 am »
I recently sold my Honda XLR 250 Baja, must say I quite enjoyed the bike. About 25Kg lighter than the 250CRF and 4Kw more power as well as slightly more torque, 6 speed with decent suspension. Think it is a good buy if you can find one. Kick start only though.
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

The following users thanked this post: Lem