Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada 🇨🇦  (Read 138523 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: Meanwhile in Canada 🇨🇦
« Reply #1440 on: June 22, 2020, 09:20:16 am »
Looking great! It goes up really quickly hey  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #1441 on: June 22, 2020, 03:18:01 pm »
We spent a week with family on holiday at Edisto Island in South Carolina.
During that week I saw a house go up from the slit tops - 1st floor, 2nd floor, roof and cladding.
There were 4 workmen on site + 1 guy with a super sized bakkie who fetched all stuff from the builders merchants.
They team was highly organised, with proper bench saw table equipment for trimming and sawing boards etc.
They all worked all the time - no standing around looking at others working.
Each worker had a tool belt and at least one portable power tool or compressed air tool hooked to his belt
It was a pleasure to watch.

The main reason for the speed is that there are no wet trades involved that require a setting / drying period.
Everything is simply nailed together - something which makes me cringe as I am a "screwed and glued" person when it comes to wood construction..

US construction grade timber is standard sized, cured properly, is straight and with minimal twists and bowing.
Compared to US timber products, ZA's construction timber is only good for plywood, matches and paper because it grows too fast in our sunshine.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: bud500

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1442 on: June 23, 2020, 01:45:50 am »
We spent a week with family on holiday at Edisto Island in South Carolina.
During that week I saw a house go up from the slit tops - 1st floor, 2nd floor, roof and cladding.
There were 4 workmen on site + 1 guy with a super sized bakkie who fetched all stuff from the builders merchants.
They team was highly organised, with proper bench saw table equipment for trimming and sawing boards etc.
They all worked all the time - no standing around looking at others working.
Each worker had a tool belt and at least one portable power tool or compressed air tool hooked to his belt
It was a pleasure to watch.

The main reason for the speed is that there are no wet trades involved that require a setting / drying period.
Everything is simply nailed together - something which makes me cringe as I am a "screwed and glued" person when it comes to wood construction..

US construction grade timber is standard sized, cured properly, is straight and with minimal twists and bowing.
Compared to US timber products, ZA's construction timber is only good for plywood, matches and paper because it grows too fast in our sunshine.
Itís just like building LEGO. Measure twice and cut once. Itís unreal how many pieces goes in to a little cabin like that, just because if the weather extremes. But do one thing wrong and it will rot and fall apart in 3 or 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1443 on: June 24, 2020, 04:14:28 am »
Almost there! Two more days and then it should be all done. But itís back to work for 5 days....just as well because it will be raining for the next 4

Offline Ganjora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Drug War Veteran
« Reply #1444 on: June 24, 2020, 05:11:25 am »
You know, I have been an avid watcher of this thread for the longest time, and feel I have to raise a complaint.
There need to be more pictures.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1445 on: June 24, 2020, 09:35:02 am »
Do you cover the space between the bottom of the house and the ground (soil) so that critters/snakes/baby bears/whatever don't get in under the house?
Ja/Nee

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1446 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:41 am »
Immigrant what was your wood building experience when you moved to Canada?
I know at work you do the opposite with wood you shred it instead of building so your work is easy peasy compared to building!! ;) ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #1447 on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:09 pm »
Do you cover the space between the bottom of the house and the ground (soil) so that critters/snakes/baby bears/whatever don't get in under the house?

Did not do it with the previous cabin.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1448 on: June 24, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »
I will not be covering it. I need air movement below it for moisture control. The floor is ďboxed inĒ with treated plywood. It should be critter resistant. I also built it a little higher so I can easily put a jack underneath the 2 beams it sits on to level it if I have to.

I know at work you do the opposite with wood you shred it instead of building so your work is easy peasy compared to building!! ;) ;)

No experience Chris. Itís actually not that hard. For the rest there is YouTube.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #1449 on: June 24, 2020, 12:59:59 pm »
Wish I could get those fire pit concrete blocks here in SA

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1450 on: June 24, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »
Wish I could get those fire pit concrete blocks here in SA

Yup - me too - I posted the exact same thing before  :imaposer:

Thanks for posting re the previous cabin - I see now  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1451 on: June 24, 2020, 01:16:43 pm »
I will not be covering it. I need air movement below it for moisture control. The floor is ďboxed inĒ with treated plywood. It should be critter resistant. I also built it a little higher so I can easily put a jack underneath the 2 beams it sits on to level it if I have to.

No experience Chris. Itís actually not that hard. For the rest there is YouTube.

Makes sense - thanks  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1452 on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:37 am »
I got all the insulation and vapour barrier done and also sheeted the ceiling after work.

Itís starting to look like a cabin!

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #1453 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:55 am »
I got all the insulation and vapour barrier done and also sheeted the ceiling after work.

Forgot how you do it but how do you fix the cladding without making holes in the vapour barrier again?

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1454 on: June 25, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »
You donít  :biggrin:
You want to use as little as possible staples to keep the vapour barrier up. And obviously  when  you nail the panel on the stud you will make a hole. But a small screw/nail hole on a stud is ok because  the panel and the stud nailed together makes a pretty good airtight seal.
A hole or a cut over the insulation will definitely cause frost. That is why it is very important to make sure you donít miss a stud when you nail.  We have ďtuc tapeĒ (the red and blue tape) to patch holes and tape down the seams where it overlaps

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1455 on: June 27, 2020, 03:17:47 am »
Now I just have to paint the inside, install the wood stove and kitchen counter and itís ready to enjoy. Next project I do is in the fall. Way to much rain this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: windswept

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #1456 on: June 27, 2020, 06:36:32 am »
Wow, that looks fantastic!  :thumleft:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #1457 on: June 27, 2020, 08:31:45 pm »
Excellent! And so quick from start to finish.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #1458 on: June 28, 2020, 02:26:03 am »
Excellent job Andrew!

BTW, just today I was using those Craftsman tools you bought for me and was thinking about you! They are still going strong, I use them on every project I do at home now  :thumleft:

One day I need to build a new garden shed behind my workshop, and they will be used again...  :thumleft:

I "upgraded" to Milwaukee tools on my work van some time ago, because I got the Milwaukee PVC pipe cutter and the copper tubing cutter. Now all the other hand tools are also Milwaukee, makes having extra batteries fully charged a breeze. Now the Craftsman tools are enjoying an easier life at home.  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1459 on: June 28, 2020, 05:20:27 am »
Excellent job Andrew!

BTW, just today I was using those Craftsman tools you bought for me and was thinking about you! They are still going strong, I use them on every project I do at home now  :thumleft:

One day I need to build a new garden shed behind my workshop, and they will be used again...  :thumleft:

I "upgraded" to Milwaukee tools on my work van some time ago, because I got the Milwaukee PVC pipe cutter and the copper tubing cutter. Now all the other hand tools are also Milwaukee, makes having extra batteries fully charged a breeze. Now the Craftsman tools are enjoying an easier life at home.  :biggrin:

:thumleft: Good to know they are still going strong. Milwaukee often have awesome specials at Home Depot. You always get extra batteries or drill bits. They sure are giving DeWalt a run for their money.