Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada 🇨🇦  (Read 155191 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada [emoji1063]
« Reply #1600 on: January 25, 2021, 10:05:55 pm »

Head South, don't stop until you hit Florida  :deal:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Funny that you mention that. Every year when the extreme cold hits, the wife and I pull the laptop closer and look at options in warmer locations. And every year we come to the conclusion that it will be impossible to duplicate the quality of life (kids happiness, incomes, house, land, toys, access to recreation etc) we currently enjoy. The exrteme cold is really a small and cheap price to pay.  It makes us appreciate what we have so much more. So we just put on another pair of shorts and some socks with our flip flops and embrace the cold.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:58:26 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Meanwhile in Canada [emoji1063]
« Reply #1601 on: January 26, 2021, 01:30:07 am »

Head South, don't stop until you hit Florida  :deal:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Funny that you mention that. Every year when the extreme cold hits, the wife and I pull the laptop closer and look at options in warmer locations. And every year we come to the conclusion that it will be impossible to duplicate the quality of life (kids happiness, incomes, house, land, toys, access to recreation etc) we currently enjoy. The exrteme cold is really a small and cheap price to pay.  It makes us appreciate what we have so much more. So we just put on another pair of shorts and some socks with our flip flops and embrace the cold.

Similar thing here  :sip:

When the heat of summer hits, and the humidity is very high, I dream of the snow in Lesotho, I even discussed, semi-seriously, with the wife about moving to Canada  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada 🇨🇦
« Reply #1602 on: February 21, 2021, 04:24:51 am »
We had a 40C temp swing in a week. It was a balmy +3C today. And just in time. The kids had serious cabin fever. Summer is on its way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1603 on: February 21, 2021, 04:33:45 am »
And some drunk animal walked down my road the other night.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #1604 on: March 03, 2021, 02:21:41 pm »
 The cost of immigration......
My wife’s mom was really sick and she (my wife) decided to go and see her one last time (last time she saw her was 2 years ago). Unfortunately my MIL passed away while my wife was waiting for her connecting flight in Doha. My poor wife had to deal with the loss of her mom alone in an airport.
Because of 14 day quarantine upon return and covid exposure concerns (I cannot stay away from work that long And the kids missed enough school last year and this year) we did not go with. On top of it all Canada introduced a mandatory 3 night stay in a designated quarantine hotel at $350 pp a night while you wait for a negative covid test taken at the first airport you arrive at when returning to Canada.

In spite of the emotional toll on my wife and kids, the financial cost was R76,700 so far (including babysitters @ $20 p/h for my kids when I work 12 hour night shifts and weekends).  And hotels and airlines seem to think charging double and providing half the service is acceptable “because of covid”....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:30:28 pm by immigrant »

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #1605 on: March 03, 2021, 04:12:36 pm »
Sterkte en ek hoop jou vrou is ok immigrant. dit moet erg wees vir haar!!! :( :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: immigrant

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #1606 on: March 03, 2021, 05:35:35 pm »
The cost of immigration......
My wife’s mom was really sick and she (my wife) decided to go and see her one last time (last time she saw her was 2 years ago). Unfortunately my MIL passed away while my wife was waiting for her connecting flight in Doha. My poor wife had to deal with the loss of her mom alone in an airport.
Because of 14 day quarantine upon return and covid exposure concerns (I cannot stay away from work that long And the kids missed enough school last year and this year) we did not go with. On top of it all Canada introduced a mandatory 3 night stay in a designated quarantine hotel at $350 pp a night while you wait for a negative covid test taken at the first airport you arrive at when returning to Canada.

In spite of the emotional toll on my wife and kids, the financial cost was R76,700 so far (including babysitters @ $20 p/h for my kids when I work 12 hour night shifts and weekends).  And hotels and airlines seem to think charging double and providing half the service is acceptable “because of covid”....

Ai dis bad. Sterkte aan jou en die familie
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
KTM 1290 Sup Adv R
Current: WR 450F & R1250GSA

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #1607 on: March 03, 2021, 06:50:57 pm »
Dis vreeslik... strongs for all of you. If I was close you sprogs could have bunked with mine...

One thing I remember living in UK and Ireland was the isolation we had but the other Saffers made up for it..
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 martelpyp (gave the stupid thing away)

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1608 on: March 03, 2021, 07:35:57 pm »
Dis vreeslik... strongs for all of you. If I was close you sprogs could have bunked with mine...

One thing I remember living in UK and Ireland was the isolation we had but the other Saffers made up for it..

We forget how “alone” we are .....till the shit hits the fan. No support from aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters to take care of kids etc. Its awesome here when things go well. Real kak when it doesn’t. People say they will help, but in their eyes you can see “please don’t call me for help, I have enough of my own shit”. Family can’t say that. They are obligated to help.
I am not complaining - we knew that was going to happen. It’s just a warning to those that are looking to leave.
I must say, @Worsbeer was very supportive, constantly giving words of encouragement and was genuinely willing to do anything. It’s a pity he was 300km away.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:37:35 pm by immigrant »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #1609 on: March 03, 2021, 08:03:33 pm »
Ai man - so sad to read this. My condolences on the loss of your Mom in law. If I was anywhere near you I would help out. It's true what you say - about emigrating - in fact not even as far as emigrating. My sister decided to retire in Greyton but after two years decided to move back to Edgemead (closer to her sisters) for that exact reason - no family support.

I hope it goes better soon.
Ja/Nee

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #1610 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:10 pm »

We forget how “alone” we are .....till the shit hits the fan. No support from aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters to take care of kids etc. Its awesome here when things go well. Real kak when it doesn’t. People say they will help, but in their eyes you can see “please don’t call me for help, I have enough of my own shit”. Family can’t say that. They are obligated to help.
I am not complaining - we knew that was going to happen. It’s just a warning to those that are looking to leave.
I must say, @Worsbeer was very supportive, constantly giving words of encouragement and was genuinely willing to do anything. It’s a pity he was 300km away.

Same here, my wife was in transit when her father passed on, her mother who knows, my mother passed 6 months before Covid, it was time and I was relieved later it was not during Covid.  8)

Wife and I, no family here, a very isolated group.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:07:02 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Noneking

• Distinguished
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #1611 on: March 03, 2021, 08:47:43 pm »
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada [emoji1063]
« Reply #1612 on: March 13, 2021, 10:28:00 pm »
You know it’s been a long winter when your kids put on their swimsuits when it hits +3C

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:30:23 pm by immigrant »

The following users thanked this post: Smidty

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #1613 on: March 13, 2021, 11:26:41 pm »
Holey shitballs. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Worsbeer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #1614 on: March 14, 2021, 12:07:08 am »
Laaste draai vir die seisoen. Die white stuff raak nou min hier

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

KTM 1290T 990R, 950S, 525, 250
Honda AfricaTwin RD04, CRF450

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1615 on: March 14, 2021, 12:41:06 am »
Laaste draai vir die seisoen. Die white stuff raak nou min hier

Is hulle almal stukkend of kry hulle net warm? :peepwall:

Offline Worsbeer

• Race Dog
« Reply #1616 on: March 14, 2021, 03:02:31 am »
Het gesien die ander maak so toe maak ek ook so. Netnou dink hulle myne kan nie

Offline immigrant

« Reply #1617 on: March 14, 2021, 03:56:39 am »
Daai lyk soos Polaris 550 Touring? Jy moes seker baie wag vir hulle.... :laughing4:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:03:42 am by immigrant »

Offline Worsbeer

• Race Dog
« Reply #1618 on: March 14, 2021, 06:50:56 pm »
Daai lyk soos Polaris 550 Touring? Jy moes seker baie wag vir hulle.... :laughing4:
well spotted. Is inderdaad 550 two stroke touring. Ons het die markers vir die trail gaan optel so hulle het sleighs gesleep. Hulle het elkeen nog n Polaris 800 ook en reken dis okay om twee sleds te hê... help soek asb vir n nytro

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #1619 on: March 16, 2021, 09:34:22 pm »

Shit sorry boet! Ek kan net indink hoe moeilik dit is... Ek sien nie uit na die dag wat dit my beurt is nie. Ons vind die selfde hier, al het ons goeie vriende al gemaak die laaste ruk het ek en my vrou nog nie 'n "date night" gehad in seker 1.5 jaar nie. Almal is te besig vir 3 kinders en na die 2de keer vra ek nie meer nie.

Ekt nou die dag somme gemaak en maar vrede gemaak ek sal seker nie vir die vlg paar jaar SA sien weer nie. Dit is onbekostigbaar om 1 mens te vlieg nie te praat van 5 nie. Dink nie die kinders sal vinnig SA sien nie.

Ons gee dinge op om hier te wees, maar daar is rede. Byt vas maat.