Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 43449 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #540 on: June 24, 2018, 10:22:57 pm »
Immigrant do you ever plant some type of grazing or do you only use natural growing hay?
Do you bale that for winter?
Natural growing hay.
Yes, I have another 160 acres that I hay (my neighbor does it for me and I pay him in hay bales). I get average 300 round bales on the 160 acres. It's not prime grazing land, but meets my needs
Ai klink lekker om so te boer maar daai beeste in die winter buite pla my nog steeds!! :o
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: FIXER

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 25, 2018, 07:49:31 am »
Chris hulle het nie elkeen 'n naam nie.  Dus hulle is OK buite.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 25, 2018, 08:28:13 am »
Enjoy - you're now reaping the benefits of a tough move  :3some:
Indeed. We have been extremely fortunate. I sometimes think it's too good to be true. Like there has to be some kind of "catch" somewhere.

What was life like in SA before you left?

Farmer, office worker, city living, small town?
Any crime that influenced your move?

Offline immigrant

« Reply #543 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:38 am »
Indeed. We have been extremely fortunate. I sometimes think it's too good to be true. Like there has to be some kind of "catch" somewhere.

I grew up in Johannesburg. Got my Honours in Env Management and started working on a game ranch. I was fortunate enough to work for two very successful and very wealthy business men and game farmers. I gained valuable life and business experience from them ( and managed to get my Masters degree while working for one of them). I got along well with my boss and made decent money. But I started to see the writing on the wall. It was not a sustainable business model. Too many people got rich too quickly with all the exotic species and hunting and game sales- a modern day gold rush.
Something that also troubled me was the "distribution of wealth". I don't want to go in to a discussion on why it is or how it became. But I was concerned that the poorest of the poor will eventually run out of patience. And I figured it is really tough to win a fight with someone that has nothing to lose.
So my wife and I decided to make a move while we were young enough to start over, have very few assets and no children to worry about.
Thats my story in a nutshell.
 There was no specific "event" that triggered us. I was involved in an attempted high jacking and a shootout with poachers.  But that played a very small part in my decision to leave. My career was going along well, we had good friends and we were healthy and happy. But in the back of my mind I was concerned that it cannot last with the (then) current political/ economical situation. The only solution I saw for myself, was to start over somewhere else. And please note, I speak from my own perspective. I am not saying SA is kak. I just did not see myself coping and being successful in that environment.
And so here we are. Doing our thing in peace and quiet......
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:14:58 am by immigrant »

Offline Pom17

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 25, 2018, 10:37:41 am »
Cant remember, but which part of Canada do you live in?

Have heard some saying that weather in Canada varies a lot depending on where you live.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #545 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:24 pm »

Have heard some saying that weather in Canada varies a lot depending on where you live.
The temp ranged between -40C and +32C since January. At the coast (east and west) the temps are a little better.

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 25, 2018, 06:50:04 pm »

The temp ranged between -40C and +32C since January. At the coast (east and west) the temps are a little better.
that's  cold
Rallye

Offline Offshore

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:17 pm »

I grew up in Johannesburg. Got my Honours in Env Management and started working on a game ranch. I was fortunate enough to work for two very successful and very wealthy business men and game farmers. I gained valuable life and business experience from them ( and managed to get my Masters degree while working for one of them). I got along well with my boss and made decent money. But I started to see the writing on the wall. It was not a sustainable business model. Too many people got rich too quickly with all the exotic species and hunting and game sales- a modern day gold rush.
Something that also troubled me was the "distribution of wealth". I don't want to go in to a discussion on why it is or how it became. But I was concerned that the poorest of the poor will eventually run out of patience. And I figured it is really tough to win a fight with someone that has nothing to lose.
So my wife and I decided to make a move while we were young enough to start over, have very few assets and no children to worry about.
 There was no specific "event" that triggered us. I was involved in an attempted high jacking and a shootout with poachers.  But that played a very small part in my decision to leave. My career was going along well, we had good friends and we were healthy and happy. But in the back of my mind I was concerned that it cannot last with the (then) current political/ economical situation. The only solution I saw for myself, was to start over somewhere else. And please note, I speak from my own perspective. I am not saying SA is kak. I just did not see myself coping and being successful in that environment.
Good Decision Immigrant, looks like you are doing well at the End of the Day you don't have to explain yourself to anyone.
Good Luck to you and your Loved Ones
KTM 990
Harley Davidson 1450 Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline ZooDog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • ride everything hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 25, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
Do you farm in canada immigrant ?
TIA. this is africa

Offline immigrant

« Reply #549 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:22 pm »
Do you farm in canada immigrant ?

:thumleft: but I also have a day job

Offline immigrant

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:37:50 pm by immigrant »

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:23 pm »
Ek vid die FANTASTIES....

“I think we have come to a lot of compromise to convert some very complex regulations into common-sense rules.”

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2018, 06:09:45 pm »

Thank you Immigrant, it's sad when people decide to leave SA and then use every opportunity to bad mouth the country they were born / lived  in. Yes we all know there are many issues in SA but the country self is a great place I just wish that someday we can sort out the politics and move on. I take my hat off to what you have achieved in Canada and enjoy the insightful posts about the great white north  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
What is this 1st world country objection to peeing against a tree...?

Urine is one of the most useful liquid fertilizers!
If you cycle it through the garden, you add to the environment
and you don't waste 9 litres of potable water flushing it down the drain !
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2018, 02:13:46 pm »

that's  cold

Here in Ontario (close to Toronto) it is -30 to 45 degrees (45 predicted this weekend with 80% humitity)...

So extremes.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #555 on: June 30, 2018, 08:21:01 am »
This was posted in our change room at work. It sums up the Canadian culture just perfect.
"Just enough is good enough".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 03, 2018, 06:05:57 pm »
Happy Canada day everyone... (Past Sunday)

Offline immigrant

« Reply #557 on: July 04, 2018, 06:01:54 am »
@TheAnt Your first Canada day as a family  :thumleft: I had to work. But at least "Canada" got a happy birthday song from my daughter.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:03:38 am by immigrant »

Offline immigrant

« Reply #558 on: July 06, 2018, 12:56:32 am »
 :ricky:  :biggrin:  :ricky:  :biggrin:  :ricky:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:57:54 am by immigrant »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 06, 2018, 02:03:42 am »
:ricky:  :biggrin:  :ricky:  :biggrin:  :ricky:

Nice!!!!   :thumleft:  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.