Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 79193 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 02:35:19 am »
The other decision we have to make is the window sizes. Originally we were thinking of having these huge windows, but we are reconsidering. Not only is the bigger windows a lot more expensive, but we also have to consider the added cost to the heating bill because of the heat loss through these windows. What do you guys think. Go big and enjoy the view (2 openings on the right) or save paying heating costs for the next 50 years? (2 sample windows on the left)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:58 am »
The heating bills will add up over the years. And in 25 years the cost of that heating will be exponentially more too.

I'd go with smaller windows, and maybe even upgrade to those super-duper triple glazed ones that help save on the heating.  :thumleft:

Place is starting to look brilliant A

I see some "pillar" bases around the edges. Are they for a deck?
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2017, 05:40:49 am »
The heating bills will add up over the years. And in 25 years the cost of that heating will be exponentially more too.

I'd go with smaller windows, and maybe even upgrade to those super-duper triple glazed ones that help save on the heating.  :thumleft:

Place is starting to look brilliant A

I see some "pillar" bases around the edges. Are they for a deck?
Correct. They are for the deck.
The triple glazed are they same price as a new bike!! Not sure if the cost is worth the benefit....
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2017, 07:34:11 am »
The other decision we have to make is the window sizes. Originally we were thinking of having these huge windows, but we are reconsidering. Not only is the bigger windows a lot more expensive, but we also have to consider the added cost to the heating bill because of the heat loss through these windows. What do you guys think. Go big and enjoy the view (2 openings on the right) or save paying heating costs for the next 50 years? (2 sample windows on the left)

Although the bigger windows are probably double the size in area (heating requirements) you don't lose half the view with smaller ones.
Personally I would have gone with two smaller windows and have four windows in a row (if I understand you correctly)
How about a horisontal window?

Finding this thread very informative.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:35:03 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2017, 09:08:05 am »

Immigrant, what is your current heating bill in winter?

With minus 25 degrees centigrade outside, it must be significant?  :eek7:

Offline immigrant

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2017, 04:54:39 pm »

Although the bigger windows are probably double the size in area (heating requirements) you don't lose half the view with smaller ones.
Personally I would have gone with two smaller windows and have four windows in a row (if I understand you correctly)
How about a horisontal window?

Finding this thread very informative.  :thumleft:
It will be 4 windows of the same size. (4 smaller windows or the 4 larger size) But we talked last night and decided to go for the smaller size.
J-dog, heating bill is $135pm.( $54 of that is fixed  cost for delivery and line maintenance) They equalize it over 12 months. For February, our coldest month, I used 387m3 of natural gas to keep my house at 21C, to heat my garage and geyser. Electricity cost me $0.1374/kw.h. Basic monthly charge of $31 and roughly 850kw/h usage pm
The gas delivery cost is high. Back when they built this house the gas company had to install a 3 km gas line just for this house. they thought as the area developed more people would connect to this line, which in turn would lower my delivery charge. the more people share the line, the less each person pay for delivery. But 20 years later only one person connected to the line. My neighbours son is building a house and had to get permission from me to hook on to the gas line running over my property to my house. This is the shortest route to get to his house. They quoted him $18,000 just for the hook up and line install to his house 700 meters away.  :eek7:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:07:41 pm by immigrant »

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
Wow. You pay less for electricity than I pay in Pretoria.

Offline Splash

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30:18 pm »
Could you not just add an additional glass shutter window for winter. Seems to do the trick and you can then keep the bigger windows.
Gone traveling.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
No double glazing?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:56 pm »
No double glazing?
All winddows are double glazing. Here are the specs on them for interest sake

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:50:16 am by immigrant »

The following users thanked this post: Pistonpete

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2017, 01:37:26 am »
Just a word about nailing...

The technology around nails has improved. Nowdays it is almost impossible to pull out a properly inserted nail from a piece of wood. The nails have serrations on them, almost like the threads of a screw, and believe me when I say that they SIT. Trying to get stuff apart for repairs is a hellofa mission. Easier to insert the sawsall with a steel cutting blade and just cut the nails off between the two pieces of wood.

And the speed of insertion with those big nail guns cannot be beaten. Not to mention that its pretty cool to shoot 4 inch nails into wood...  :biggrin:

How big are those nail guns? I've been fantasising about fastening one underneath my car with a tracking system, to *ahem* nail any errant taxis in rush hour traffic. Give them a reason to stand in the emergency lane, so to speak :evil6:
But then someone said I wouldn't find one strong enough in SA  >:(
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2017, 02:46:28 am »
Just a word about nailing...

The technology around nails has improved. Nowdays it is almost impossible to pull out a properly inserted nail from a piece of wood. The nails have serrations on them, almost like the threads of a screw, and believe me when I say that they SIT. Trying to get stuff apart for repairs is a hellofa mission. Easier to insert the sawsall with a steel cutting blade and just cut the nails off between the two pieces of wood.

And the speed of insertion with those big nail guns cannot be beaten. Not to mention that its pretty cool to shoot 4 inch nails into wood...  :biggrin:

How big are those nail guns? I've been fantasising about fastening one underneath my car with a tracking system, to *ahem* nail any errant taxis in rush hour traffic. Give them a reason to stand in the emergency lane, so to speak :evil6:
But then someone said I wouldn't find one strong enough in SA  >:(

You can get some really big ones... will shoot a 6" nail right through a car tyre. But the compressor needed to power it would cost a fortune.

Much better idea would be to get a windscreen wiper washer motor, connect it to a wiper washer resevoir, and a small pipe that exits the side of your car at the edge of the front bumper. Then fill the washer tank with brake fluid, and give each errant taxi a quick squirt.

When you see them again tomorrow they will have a nice shiny metal stripe where the paint used to be. Next week there will just be a rusty stripe...  >:D

This was my fantasy when I still lived in SA. Now I live in the USA and there are NO minibus taxis. Like heaven...  :biggrin:

Hijack off....  apologies immigrant  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:56 am »
A few steps closer. The building inspector will come tomorrow  and if he is happy I can backfill and do the landscaping before the snow and cold comes (that should come in 3 weeks)

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:25 pm »
Looking very good there! You think you will have it almost done before the snow sets in?

Good luck with the inspection...

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 02:28:35 am »
Ant if the rain stays away we should have shingles off and the tin on all the roof by next week Thursday. We could do the windows and siding after that and then the snow can come. If the outside shell is done we could carry on inside without too much problems. We got half the roof sheeted today. Maybe have the tin on the new roof by tomorrow night.

All this timber still have to be used somewhere..... not exactly sure where.....

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:30:52 am by immigrant »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:22 am »
All this timber still have to be used somewhere..... not exactly sure where.....

Ah... I spy some beams that would support a deck. Then also a pile of decking (flooring), and some roof sheets...

Before you know it that pile will be gone...  :deal:

Offline immigrant

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:50 am »

Ah... I spy some beams that would support a deck. Then also a pile of decking (flooring), and some roof sheets...

Before you know it that pile will be gone...  :deal:
Ahh, I forgot about the deck  ::) But most of the decking still needs to come. :patch: We decided on the "composite decking" so this guy will never ever have to sand or stain a deck in his life  :biggrin:

Offline Buff

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2017, 08:38:19 am »
It's looking awesome and you seem to be making very good progress  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »

Just don't burn it all. It is not that cold yet!

Its going fast! Well done.  :sip:

Our temperature dropped from 32 degrees yesterday to 12 degrees today... What a sudden change  :eek7:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:20:06 pm by TheAnt »

Offline immigrant

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 01:08:32 am »
We got the tin on the addition done, but it was raining the last few days and that slowed us down a lot.

We also did not pass the inspection so we could not backfill. We had to put these "braces" in the crawlspace to prevent the weight of the soil pushing the studs off the bottom plate. I thought because the crawlspace is so shallow that it would not be necessary, but the inspector figured better to be safe than sorry.

The transition between the old and new roof was 100% square and level. That was a relief!!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:12:31 am by immigrant »