Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 29327 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2018, 01:13:07 pm »
A seasonal low

I tell my kids I work at the cloud factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »
Found this dead white tail deer in my driveway when I got home from work this morning. Something dragged it a few feet, but I could not see any obvious tracks. The wind blew a little last night and may have covered it. Will look for more sign when I wake up this afternoon
She seems to be in good condition after this cold winter. Possibly wolves, and a small chance it could be a cougar.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:58:53 pm by immigrant »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2018, 05:25:00 pm »
WOW ..... at the temp....and WOW at the present in your driveway  :eek7:
Eat life!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »
Not shot/wounded and died where you found her?
I don't care what religion, race, colour, creed or sexuality you are, I care if you are an asshole or not.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2018, 07:37:26 pm »
I'd grab my sawz-all and at least cut the backstraps out of her. 

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2018, 07:53:36 pm »

I take it your not Vegan. :sip:
I don't care what religion, race, colour, creed or sexuality you are, I care if you are an asshole or not.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:25 pm »

I take it your not Vegan. :sip:

Hell no.

I like flesh, especially Venison backstraps.  The Filet Mignon of the deer.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:10 am »
Those backstraps would make awesome biltong...  :peepwall:  :drif:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:04 am »
Those backstraps would make awesome biltong...  :peepwall:  :drif:
If only it was that easy. One of the benefits, and in this case the downside, of living in a first world country is law enforcement. The law says if I want to take meat from that dead deer, I have to phone the ministry of environment, and they will send a conservation officer to come and inspect the carcass. Once he is satisfied that the animal was not shot with rifle or bow, he will issue me with a permit to be in possession of the meat. If it did have a gun shot wound it would mean it was poached (because hunting season is closed) and an investigation will follow. I will not get the meat in that case and it will be donated to the food bank. The "fish cops" as we call them, have a lot of resources to investigate crimes, like DNA  and ballistics labs etc. And the penalty for poaching is harsh. Big fines, confiscation of all firearms and license to posess firearms, lifetime hunting and fishing ban and jail.
When I woke up this afternoon the deer was gone. Tire tracks and boot tracks , but no deer  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:03:24 am by immigrant »

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Mommy Fairy :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2018, 11:08:18 am »
Could you please stop showing how cold it is  :P :P I am trying to convince THROTTLE that a move to maple country isn't such a bad idea and snow pictures aren't exactly helping my case.  :patch: :lol8:
"Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone."

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2018, 11:56:12 am »
Could you please stop showing how cold it is  :P :P I am trying to convince THROTTLE that a move to maple country isn't such a bad idea and snow pictures aren't exactly helping my case.  :patch: :lol8:

:imaposer: just tell him you'll keep him warm  ;)
Eat life!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2018, 12:10:18 pm »

:imaposer: just tell him you'll keep him warm ;)
Die korrekte term/woord is ontdooi :deal: :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:20 pm »
Maar die DING moet ook ingeprop word woordat hy warm maak.  :peepwall: :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline africana

« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »
Na ek nou al die tyd spandeer het om die freads te lees moet ek nou ernstig begin werk anders moet ek ander werk loop soek. Thanks vir die info en die chat - verstaan nie alles van die huisbouery nie maar nogtans baie interresant.

Sterkte met julle planne daar en alle voorspoed en sukses aan die anderkant van die węreld. My skoonsuster - hulle woon in Vancouver.

Mr Zog - goed om te sien jy is besig om in te setlle met locals.  :laughing4: Terloops het my XR geruil vir n 990 Adventure... Yeehaaa!

Hijack off and really back to work.... sug.[/i]
Honesty is very expensive. Don't expect it from cheap people.
To begin, begin.
One day...or Day One. You decide.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2018, 06:32:41 am »
Remember I said that if the vapour barrier between your drywall and insulation is not a 100% air tight you will get frost in your walls and attic? Well this is what it looks like

I screwed up with the exhaust vent for the hood above the stove. >:( >:(

When I installed it I did not have a drill bit to go right through the inner and outer wall, so I eyeballed it. Needless to say I was a few mm off centre and the ducting did not line up. But a boer maak n plan, and I used a few small pieces that I slid in to each other. So each section could bend a little till it all fit together

I was really impressed with myself that it worked. I was 11pm at night and I told myself I should come back tomorrow after work to seal it where the sections join each other otherwise the hot humid air will leak through the joins and cause frost in my wall. Well, I completely forgot.......and only remembered yesterday.
This is what it should have looked like

I will drag a shopvac in to the attic tomorrow and suck up all the frost before it melts and possibly cause water damage
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:35:42 am by immigrant »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:35 am »
Yoh  :eek7:
Eat life!

Offline immigrant

« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2018, 02:46:08 am »
I bought a leaf blower that was on sale at the co-op the other day. I thought it would be a good way to blow snow of the cars rather than using a broom. It worked pretty good. And way more fun!

Then I thought I would go for a drive to check my fences to see of any trees fell on them during the past week. I could not even get past the gate and got stuck. And it wasn't even deep snow.

But got out after shovelling for a while. It doesn't take much to get stuck. The snow builds up under the truck, and when you stop it "sucks" you down. The tires just spin on top of the ground. To dig out you have to go on hands and knees and reach under the engine and start scooping out snow. No respectable Canadian leaves home without a shovel and waterproof pants for situations like this.

So I went home to get the snowmobile. Found this big tree in the way, but lucky for me it missed the fence by a couple of feet.

I was surprised to see the graders out on a Saturday afternoon. He must have wanted the overtime.

Offline NoRush

« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2018, 03:49:32 am »
Immigrant, that is pretty cold, the ice melts and water causes headache. Slowly starting to understand your building methods. It is intensive to say the least.
If your drive way is blocked and you are snowed in ? How do you get to work ? No work no pay i suppose  :sip: Or do you have special rules / or time keeping for that.
we had one scorcher of a day(pool water is = ambient temp) and would love to come and dig out that GMC of yours, even if it takes me months.  :imaposer:

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2018, 05:43:12 am »
Immigrant, that is pretty cold, the ice melts and water causes headache. Slowly starting to understand your building methods. It is intensive to say the least.
If your drive way is blocked and you are snowed in ? How do you get to work ? No work no pay i suppose  :sip: Or do you have special rules / or time keeping for that.
we had one scorcher of a day(pool water is = ambient temp) and would love to come and dig out that GMC of yours, even if it takes me months.  :imaposer:

With regards to a blocked driveway. When they predict heavy snowfall, I set my alarm for 3:00 am (normally get up at 04:30) and start plowing. You have to plow wide at the beginning of winter, because as the season goes on, you run out of room to push the snow

It usually takes me about an hour to get enough snow moved to get out of my driveway. The rural gravel roads are not well maintained during heavy snow, so then you throw it 4WD Low and don't slow down or stop till you hit the highway (which is usually pretty well maintained - plowed and salted).
My employer is a little more understanding if we are late or stuck in snow, but we have to take a holiday. But it's funny how the same people are always "late" or "stuck"  :xxbah:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:46:31 am by immigrant »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #319 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:01 pm »
Kak GMC bakkie wat nie eens in n bietjie geysde water kan loop!! :lol8:

Immigrant ek weet nie hoe julle daar kan leef en oorleef en nog minder jou beeste wat heeljaar buite loop. :eek7:
Ek sweer die dag as ek moet immigreer en ek moet name uit n hoed trek en ek trek Kanada gooi ek die papiertjie terug in die hoed!! :deal: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za