Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 70180 times)

RobbieJZW and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:13 am »
Im considering canada too in the last few months and getting a decent reflection on life there wasnt as clear as i thought.
Good luck with your decision. I am sure it will work out for you. It's been a long hard and often lonely road that got us to where we are today. We have a very good and abundant  life here, but it comes at a great cost. One example: My daughter turned 8 last week, and her grandparents had to sing happy birthday to her on FaceTime. My girl have only seen her grandmothers for  a total of 16 weeks throughout her whole life (2 weeks a year holiday in SA or them coming to visit us). I feel really bad about the situation. At the end of the day you will have to figure out how much you are willing to sacrifice for how much you will gain
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2018, 04:39:00 pm »
Im considering canada too in the last few months and getting a decent reflection on life there wasnt as clear as i thought.
Good luck with your decision. I am sure it will work out for you. It's been a long hard and often lonely road that got us to where we are today. We have a very good and abundant  life here, but it comes at a great cost. One example: My daughter turned 8 last week, and her grandparents had to sing happy birthday to her on FaceTime. My girl have only seen her grandmothers for  a total of 16 weeks throughout her whole life (2 weeks a year holiday in SA or them coming to visit us). I feel really bad about the situation. At the end of the day you will have to figure out how much you are willing to sacrifice for how much you will gain

So I am one of the many South Africans that made the move. Immagrant helped me and is still helping me trumendously. I can say it was a good move to come here, BUT if you take the most difficult thing you have ever done you can multiply it with 1000!

I was lucky to have a job already lined up with the same company I worked for in Cape Town. Convinced the wife and made the move. I invested EVERYTHING I have ever owned or earned into this move (IT IS NOT CHEAP). We brought 2 suitcases each into Canada (too expensive to get a container) and for now put the fun things on hold. We said bye to all our friends and family. I came over first and my wife and 2 kids after.

The first 3 months was I would say the honeymoon phase, everything here works and you feel super safe! Then that wore off and where we are now is really really really Foeking difficult. My wife misses home and family to the point that she dreams at night arriving home after work at our SA home and going through the motions until bed time. I am having a real hard time at work, such different cultures (not 1 canadian in my department). Kids are epic and they are adapting well to the point of my son now picking up the Canadian accent.

We love it here, winter is getting a bit long now, but we do love living here. We are in the difficult phase now, but I know we can not go back. We invested too much money and emotion into this.

If anyone plan on making this move. I would advise you to do extensive research! Immigrant warned me ahead of time that this WILL be the most difficult thing we have ever attempted. He is right! So know what you are attempting and realize this.

PERSONALLY I WANT TO THANK IMMIGRANT FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE. TAKING MY CALLS LATE AT NIGHT AND EACH TIME MOTIVATING ME TO TAKE ON THE NEXT DAY. THANKS BOET! YOU ARE A LEGEND!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:41:28 pm by TheAnt »

The following users thanked this post: Gingerball

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
Thanks Immigrant for a first rate insight into life across the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »

So I am one of the many South Africans that made the move. Immagrant helped me and is still helping me trumendously. I can say it was a good move to come here, BUT if you take the most difficult thing you have ever done you can multiply it with 1000!

I was lucky to have a job already lined up with the same company I worked for in Cape Town. Convinced the wife and made the move. I invested EVERYTHING I have ever owned or earned into this move (IT IS NOT CHEAP). We brought 2 suitcases each into Canada (too expensive to get a container) and for now put the fun things on hold. We said bye to all our friends and family. I came over first and my wife and 2 kids after.

The first 3 months was I would say the honeymoon phase, everything here works and you feel super safe! Then that wore off and where we are now is really really really Foeking difficult. My wife misses home and family to the point that she dreams at night arriving home after work at our SA home and going through the motions until bed time. I am having a real hard time at work, such different cultures (not 1 canadian in my department). Kids are epic and they are adapting well to the point of my son now picking up the Canadian accent.

We love it here, winter is getting a bit long now, but we do love living here. We are in the difficult phase now, but I know we can not go back. We invested too much money and emotion into this.

If anyone plan on making this move. I would advise you to do extensive research! Immigrant warned me ahead of time that this WILL be the most difficult thing we have ever attempted. He is right! So know what you are attempting and realize this.

PERSONALLY I WANT TO THANK IMMIGRANT FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE. TAKING MY CALLS LATE AT NIGHT AND EACH TIME MOTIVATING ME TO TAKE ON THE NEXT DAY. THANKS BOET! YOU ARE A LEGEND!
Geez,sounds hectic.vasbyt Ant.if I may ask,what was the first step in setting up the move to Canada

don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:16 pm »
Ons gaan nog n Wilddogs plakkerskamp daar op immigrant se plaas loop opslaan, wonder wat kos sinkplate in Canada? ;) >:D :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:14 pm »
This is certainly true, our son is now 14 months old. He only met his grandparents once, for about two weeks when we visited cape town last year. I don't know when he will at them again, besides from Skype chats....a sad and hard reality of living in another country.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2018, 09:51:31 pm »

Geez,sounds hectic.vasbyt Ant.if I may ask,what was the first step in setting up the move to Canada

I must say, I was very lucky! I work for a international company and a position opened in Toronto that was my exact job position. So I had a interview, got the job and my company paid and arranged my and my families immigration almost in entirety. So my case is not the norm, I am also here on a working visa and am in the process of applying for my Perm residence visa.

There is a forum online SACanada I think. Google that and see on there. Everything anyone need to know and more with real experience of people that did and is busy with moving here.

It is tough. But worth it for my kids future.

I asked the question: Am I going to do the move and see my kids grow old or am I gonna watch my kids move one day like my parents and miss them...

Offline immigrant

« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2018, 06:39:41 am »
Ons gaan nog n Wilddogs plakkerskamp daar op immigrant se plaas loop opslaan, wonder wat kos sinkplate in Canada? ;) >:D :peepwall: :lol8:
Julle is welkom. Bring net n ekstra kombers saam....  ;)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline immigrant

« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:19 am »

No need to thank me. You're a good man. And you can't keep a good man down! :thumleft:

Offline bud500

« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2018, 07:53:43 am »

I asked the question: Am I going to do the move and see my kids grow old or am I gonna watch my kids move one day like my parents and miss them...

Thats a quite insightful way of thinking about it....
I can relate, because my sister has been in Aus for 12 years now while I'm in SA witnessing the effect on my folks.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2018, 02:16:24 pm »
Oh, the irony

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:24:41 pm by immigrant »

Offline bud500

« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:49 pm »
 :laughing4:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2018, 02:40:46 pm »
Oh, the irony

I cant even imagine at what -45 must feel like. Here in GP even 0 is flippen cold in the winter !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline bud500

« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:03 pm »
I cant even imagine at what -45 must feel like. Here in GP even 0 is flippen cold in the winter !

It is damn shocking. Only experience I can compare was the one time I did a walkthrough of a freezer at the Aylesbury ice cream factory, which was kept at -40.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:47:39 pm by bud500 »

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2018, 08:31:15 pm »
I had this playing on the radio the other morning really early on the way home. Must say, it was kind of a emotional moment alone in the car on a snowy road...

Offline immigrant

« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2018, 12:40:09 am »
Yeah Ant. It's been a long cold winter. The worst since we have lived here. Doesn't seem to bother the kids....

The cant seem to feel the difference between -2C and -20C

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2018, 06:31:09 pm »
Daai arme beeste van jou buite snags :eek7: :'(
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
Kan nie wag vir my en my laaitjie om dit saam te begin doen nie. Gedroom daarvan. Hy is nou 5 so ek moet die jaar maar spaar vir 'n paar wiele vir hom.

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2018, 10:23:36 pm »
Some random pics

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:19:29 am by immigrant »

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2018, 11:22:09 pm »
Daai kind se tanne het skoon afgevries!!! :eek7: :o :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za