Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 26188 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #480 on: May 09, 2018, 02:17:54 am »
Since this spring is so dry, I figured I better prepare myself for the inevitable. Slapped this together this afternoon. It gives me 3000 litres. The pump can do 400l per minute and I have 2x 3/4inch 50 foot hoses on with adjustable nozzles. The Canadians are surprisingly indifferent about fire. When I bought all the fittings at the co-op the guys asked what its for. I told him a fire fighting "trailer" and he said "what for...?".

What more does a guy need on a rig like this??

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:13:55 am by immigrant »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 09, 2018, 03:38:40 am »
Does the pump have an auto-bypass if you shut off the nozzles on the hoses?

I'd add a couple of shovels, and a few beaters. Back in SA the fire dept made great beaters from sections of old fire-hose attached to the end of strong sticks.

Also add some sort of fire-blanket. If you plan on getting in harm's way in a bush fire, have a safety guard. Fire can very easily obvertake you if the wind picks up, and fire actually causes localised winds. A fire blanket is something you can take shelter under should you find yourself in the path of the fire with no way out. Google it up man.  8)

And a cooler with lots of drinking water, and several Powerade's or Energades etc... fighting fires dehydrates you fast.

Finally, see if you can get a good used fireman's Bunker Gear. Will protect you from burns from flying sparks and embers etc...

ps. If it was me, and I got cornered by the fire, I'd shelter under that trailer, under the water tanks. If the fire ruptures them, they will keep you wet and hopefully safe. Just don't drown under there.   :thumleft:

pps. I'd also see if I could get a small portable breathing apparatus. Smoke kills more fire-fighters than actual flames do.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #482 on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:57 am »

I'd add a couple of shovels, and a few beaters. Back in SA the fire dept made great beaters from sections of old fire-hose attached to the end of strong sticks.

Also add some sort of fire-blanket. If you plan on getting in harm's way in a bush fire, have a safety guard. Fire can very easily obvertake you if the wind picks up, and fire actually causes localised winds. A fire blanket is something you can take shelter under should you find yourself in the path of the fire with no way out. Google it up man.  8)

And a cooler with lots of drinking water, and several Powerade's or Energades etc... fighting fires dehydrates you fast.

Finally, see if you can get a good used fireman's Bunker Gear. Will protect you from burns from flying sparks and embers etc...

ps. If it was me, and I got cornered by the fire, I'd shelter under that trailer, under the water tanks. If the fire ruptures them, they will keep you wet and hopefully safe. Just don't drown under there.   :thumleft:

pps. I'd also see if I could get a small portable breathing apparatus. Smoke kills more fire-fighters than actual flames do.

All very good suggestions Zog. Never thought of the pressure relief bypass. Will get that tomorrow. Will also get a fire blanket on Amazon. Shovels, extra petrol, extra hose and drinking water I have in the tool box. I did think I could hide under the trailer if I have to. I can open the valves at the bottom and just let it drain out, providing I have water left.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 09, 2018, 04:02:57 am »

All very good suggestions Zog. Never thought of the pressure relief bypass. Will get that tomorrow. Will also get a fire blanket on Amazon. Shovels, extra petrol, extra hose and drinking water I have in the tool box. I did think I could hide under the trailer if I have to. I can open the valves at the bottom and just let it drain out, providing I have water left.

Cool stuff man  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 09, 2018, 04:48:59 am »
I used high pressure fine spray to cool and retard my "backburn?" when fighting sugarcane fires, not sure on forest fires though.
I had a normal backpack next to my bike with very sharp cane knives and stopped a few fires by getting there fast.
If your fires are mainly timber, chainsaw?
Remember to always have your rig facing away from the fire as elephant turns do not work with a long heavy trailer behind!
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline immigrant

« Reply #485 on: May 09, 2018, 05:18:24 am »
Chainsaw....good idea!
Its more for grass fires in my pastures. And also for around my house. It should buy me enough time till the fire department shows up. We can't make fire breaks to create a buffer. Too close to the forest.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:19:59 am by immigrant »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:30 am »
Well Honduras is also dry and its the jungle burning down. Four fire fighters dead in two weeks. :(

Nice job there immigrant. :thumleft:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 17, 2018, 06:27:19 am »
Chainsaw....good idea!
Its more for grass fires in my pastures. And also for around my house. It should buy me enough time till the fire department shows up. We can't make fire breaks to create a buffer. Too close to the forest.

You can you cut / mow a firebreak instead to reduce flammable materials.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:41:30 am by Fudmucker »
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #488 on: May 18, 2018, 03:39:14 am »
Chainsaw....good idea!

You can you cut / mow a firebreak instead to reduce flammable materials.

:thumleft:

Offline immigrant

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:42:22 am by immigrant »

Offline Oubones

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 18, 2018, 05:14:55 am »
I fitted micro sprayers to the pitch of the thatch roof of the one farmhouse and used them to cool it when there was fires close( it was inbetween the canefields)
Maybe cut a firebreak short and do something like that? It will at least retard the fire and helps with fires jumping.
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2018, 08:40:57 am »

:eek7:  :patch:   :imaposer:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/world/2018-05-17-watch--angry-woman-poops-in-store-and-flings-it-at-employee/
At first I thought that was in SA, re - Timeslive.co.za

Looks like you just can't escape this shit dude...  :peepwall:  :lol8:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline immigrant

« Reply #492 on: May 19, 2018, 04:16:31 am »
I fitted micro sprayers to the pitch of the thatch roof of the one farmhouse and used them to cool it when there was fires close( it was inbetween the canefields)
Maybe cut a firebreak short and do something like that? It will at least retard the fire and helps with fires jumping.
That is a good idea. I ordered 6 of these yesterday. Hopefully they will be here by Tuesday next week.

I also improved my water capacity to 10,000 litres. I am not trusting my borehole to charge fast enough when I start all my pumps. Besides, my petrol pump can only lift to 18 feet and I figured that my submersible will only run a short while till they cut the electricity.
My co-worker said they stopped a fire 50 feet from his house on Wednesday. I could see the smoke from my house but had no idea it was so close to his.

I have a bad feeling this year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:26:45 am by immigrant »

Offline Sprocketbek

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 19, 2018, 04:28:34 am »

I would not do that if there is still petrol in the pump's tank......... :patch:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #494 on: May 19, 2018, 04:34:32 am »
Point taken. But not much of a choice if this is heading my way

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:36:36 am by immigrant »

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #495 on: May 19, 2018, 05:34:02 am »
Holy shit...

Offline Oubones

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 19, 2018, 07:11:10 am »
That is a good idea. I ordered 6 of these yesterday. Hopefully they will be here by Tuesday next week.

I also improved my water capacity to 10,000 litres. I am not trusting my borehole to charge fast enough when I start all my pumps. Besides, my petrol pump can only lift to 18 feet and I figured that my submersible will only run a short while till they cut the electricity.
My co-worker said they stopped a fire 50 feet from his house on Wednesday. I could see the smoke from my house but had no idea it was so close to his.

I have a bad feeling this year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea, just make sure you start them well before the fire is too close.
I used micro sprayers as they make a fine mist and use very little water( cool and moist the air)
Maybe look at sprayers further out from your house if I look at the size of the fires there.
On big timber, chainsaw and clearing underbrush will bring the temp down and give you more time.
I cannot remember if I reminded you to always reverse your trailer in when getting close to a fire? Rigs do not make good elephant turns.😳

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2018, 06:37:19 am »
With that short green grass and the pasture beyond, you can always start a counter burn before the main flames get there.
As for that firestorm, that is burning wood gas above the ground where the heat causes the wood higher up in the tree to gasify and ignite.
Often it passes so quickly that the wood at the base of the trunks doesn't even char.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.