Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada  (Read 70925 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #880 on: January 07, 2019, 06:31:48 am »
Why do you need to keep the tag on for a year? I've consulted google and am more confused now, some saying you can remove when the animal has been processed, other saying the tag is only a guide. Discussions got interesting when you hit and kill a buck or find one dead.

My immediate thought went to rhinos but then again they are poached and therefore all rule of law out the window.
I suspect the length of time it has to be attached changes in every province in Canada or state in the US. The thinking behind it is so that people don’t shoot multiple animals, wait some time and then claim they were “sheds” or carcasses found in the bush. Or shoot a buck, tag it, and then later in the season or the next year shoot another and “move” the tag from one to another. A lot of guys will mount sheds/ pickups as they regards those just as valuable as an actual hunted buck. I suspect the tag and timeframe has something to do with the natural drying process. But it is by no means a fail safe method to stop poaching or dishonest hunters and their tagging shenanigans.
If we find a dead animal with antlers attached we should phone the Conservation officers and report it. If we want the antlers they will come and do an investigation to determine the cause of death, and whether you were involved in its death. They are extremely thorough in their work and have tremendous resources to their disposal. The fines for not tagging something you shot or wasting meat (leaving the animal in the bush) can be as high as $7000.
But the tagging system has its flaws. I counted 7 shot deer in my farm one year. Some were gut shot and the shooter did not bother to track it, or they shoot it close to the fence, and hope it drops there so they can quickly pull it under the fence and off the property. If they shoot it and it runs, they leave it not wanting to risk getting caught on land that is posted with no hunting/ no trespassing signs
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:23:52 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #881 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:39 am »

My 17 stem saam met jou Chris.

17 katte?!?!
Jip. 17 van hulle. Jy weet nie van hulle in die huis nie.

Hoe gaan dit met julle kitty?

Sent from my SM-J510F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:15:47 am by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #882 on: January 12, 2019, 01:25:09 pm »
Sy het goed aangepas. Baie rustig en speel lekker met die kinders. Katte is baie makliker as honde!!!
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

The following users thanked this post: Vintage_Mania

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #883 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:49 pm »
As a kid, our council house backed onto the Powis Castle Estate, they have loads of deer, we used to go scavenging antlers, but used to get warnings not to go into the areas when they were in rut... :biggrin:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #884 on: January 12, 2019, 11:55:34 pm »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:19:26 am by immigrant »

Offline Dustman

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • "I am not confused at times"
« Reply #885 on: January 13, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Shed hunting is a pretty big "sport". Some guys train their dogs to sniff out antlers. A friend of mine collects hundreds of sheds every year and then sell them per lb to guys that make knife handles, light chandeliers etc. Big money in collecting sheds

Should grind them up and sell to the Chinese as "rhino horn"  Might save some rhino's.
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #886 on: January 13, 2019, 07:35:06 pm »
Holy moly... Now that's one pampered kitty...

Offline immigrant

« Reply #887 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »
Shed hunting is a pretty big "sport". Some guys train their dogs to sniff out antlers. A friend of mine collects hundreds of sheds every year and then sell them per lb to guys that make knife handles, light chandeliers etc. Big money in collecting sheds

Should grind them up and sell to the Chinese as "rhino horn"  Might save some rhino's.
They actually do grind it up. I think they prefer elk antlers.
It was in the news the other day that they caught some ďpoachersĒ shooting bear and taking the gall bladders. Nothing is safe anymore

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hunting-grizzly-bear-liu-guns-1.4974005

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:37:46 pm by immigrant »

Offline immigrant

« Reply #888 on: January 17, 2019, 07:30:40 pm »
You know itís cold outside when the windows ice up on the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline silvrav

« Reply #889 on: January 17, 2019, 08:35:25 pm »
 :eek7: Respect!

How your heating situation in the house immigrant? I know you mentioned you chop LOTS of wood so you got some fireplaces, but how do you keep warm at night? run heaters the whole night or underfloor heating?

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #890 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:09 pm »
:eek7: Respect!

How your heating situation in the house immigrant? I know you mentioned you chop LOTS of wood so you got some fireplaces, but how do you keep warm at night? run heaters the whole night or underfloor heating?

I have natural gas on the farm. Very lucky because most farms have to use propane. I have two furnaces, a gas fireplace and a backup pellet stove than can run off of a car battery. Hierdie boertjie gaan nie koud kry nie!!!
The furnace circulates the air in the house. It sucks air from various points, blow it over a burner and pumps it back out the vents. I have one old furnace that is original to the house. It is low efficiency. It takes combustion air from the house that I somehow have to replace. So there is a fresh air intake in the furnace room. Literally a 5 inch hole in the wall. It sucks cold air from outside, floods the furnace room with fresh air so it can have enough air to burn. So you lose heat by doing that, and your combusted air needs to exhaust so as not to kill is with carbon monoxide. A lot of heat then escapes out the chimeny.  My other furnace is high efficiency. It has a separate burn box so the fresh/ cold air never actually enters the house,it is enclosed in insulated ducting. The gas fireplace has a fresh air intake on the inside of the chimney. As the hot combusted air goes up the chimney it heats the cold air coming in so it is more efficient

Low efficiency furnace fresh air intake. A 5 inch pipe from the outside...

High efficiency furnace....

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:58:35 am by immigrant »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #891 on: January 17, 2019, 11:19:00 pm »
oh nice  :thumleft: Aircon or heatpump as they call it here on steroids with gas  :thumleft:

Offline TheAnt

« Reply #892 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:49 pm »
These things (Furnaces) really WORK! I walk around with shorts in winter in the house and can sleep warmer than I did in SA. We had friends over from SA over Christmas and they could not believe it. Our friend went to sleep with "extra" layers the first night and had to strip down later... Houses are so well insulated that even with it off the house really takes a looong time to cool down.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:27:27 pm by TheAnt »

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:53 pm »
Is the furnace more efficient than normal gas central heating, using a gas boiler?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline immigrant

« Reply #894 on: January 18, 2019, 02:08:31 am »
Is the furnace more efficient than normal gas central heating, using a gas boiler?

Boiler probably more effective as it uses radiant heat ( heating objects and not air). But if you consider the install costs of the boiler, pipes, pumps, glycol and maintenance etc I think the actual cost to create the same amount of heat with a furnace (more gas usage but cheaper install and very little maintenance) is probably close to the same
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:16:20 am by immigrant »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #895 on: January 18, 2019, 07:10:31 am »
Ice on the inside of the window  :eek7: - and that's with a double glazed window hey?

So it's the moisture inside the house that is freezing?
Eat life!

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #896 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:52 am »
Ice on the inside of the window  :eek7: - and that's with a double glazed window hey?

Yes. Moisture from showers, cooking, toilets and breathing. I have an air exchange unit to take care of that, but the windows with blinds frost up. The ones without blinds show no sign of frost. I suspect the air gets trapped behind the blinds and canít  circulate. Once it reaches dew point it condensates and freezes. It only seems to happen when temps go below -30 C outside

The temperature right now..... :'(

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:08:36 am by immigrant »

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #897 on: January 18, 2019, 08:28:23 am »

Boiler probably more effective as it uses radiant heat ( heating objects and not air). But if you consider the install costs of the boiler, pipes, pumps, glycol and maintenance etc I think the actual cost to create the same amount of heat with a furnace (more gas usage but cheaper install and very little maintenance) is probably close to the same
To give you an idea of cost here in NL, we replaced our boiler last year. Is a big one for a 4 bedroom house. It cost 3000 euro. Gas is a unfortunately lot more expensive than electricity here...

Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #898 on: January 18, 2019, 09:19:12 am »

Yes. Moisture from showers, cooking, toilets and breathing. I have an air exchange unit to take care of that, but the windows with blinds frost up. The ones without blinds show no sign of frost. I suspect the air gets trapped behind the blinds and canít  circulate. Once it reaches dew point it condensates and freezes. It only seems to happen when temps go below -30 C outside

The temperature right now..... :'(

:eek7:
Eat life!

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #899 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:11 am »
the windows with blinds frost up. The ones without blinds show no sign of frost. I suspect the air gets trapped behind the blinds and canít  circulate. Once it reaches dew point it condensates and freezes. It only seems to happen when temps go below -30 C outside

External and internal surface with insulation in between. The external surface is ice cold while the internal surface is warm. The high temperature of the internal surface prevents condensation and icing.
I presume the blinds prevent air movement over the window (which keeps it warm) and allow the internal surface of the window to cool down enough to condensate and freeze.
It will first happen at the point of 'thermal bridging' or where the insulation value is the worst.

Does this not damage your internal surfaces? Water getting down to the wood structure? Or does it just evaporate from the window again?
Would it help if you give the blinds a 1cm gap at the bottom?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:32:23 am by SlŠinte Mhaith »