Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Canada 🇨🇦  (Read 94660 times)

Offline chillin_in_bots

Re: Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #940 on: February 05, 2019, 05:06:36 pm »
We got the green light on our work permits today for Canada- was our plan B while waiting on our permanent residency applications. Been a long process thus far and a bit shocked that it's starting to fall into place. Going to luckily catch the tail end of winter so we don't have to deal with learning to drive in the snow on the wrong side of the road... one thing at a time!

Offline immigrant

« Reply #941 on: February 05, 2019, 06:41:38 pm »
On the weekend we had a heat wave and temps went up to 8 degrees. BBQ'ed some pork ribs standing barefoot outside... Lovely!

But today it is going to cool again to -3 and they are predicting some freezing rain this afternoon that will cause black ice for the drive home...

Summer came early for you :biggrin:

So where does one begin Canadian immigration/emigration?

@TheAnt and @chillin_in_bots will be able to give you more up to date information. I came over in 2005, and things have changed a lot since then.
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #942 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:40 pm »
We got the green light on our work permits today for Canada- was our plan B while waiting on our permanent residency applications. Been a long process thus far and a bit shocked that it's starting to fall into place. Going to luckily catch the tail end of winter so we don't have to deal with learning to drive in the snow on the wrong side of the road... one thing at a time!

Well done! Where you moving in Canada? I went the same route and we are here on Work permits for now. PR takes a long time...

Offline chillin_in_bots

« Reply #943 on: February 05, 2019, 09:02:34 pm »
We're heading to Lloydminster- Border of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Wife has a job offer that side. We're applied for PR at the same time through the express entry but it does take a fair amount of time longer than the work permit. Hoping to land in April or so. Been in limbo for the past couple of months waiting for some indication on timing before we start selling up and booking flights.

Offline Bielie

« Reply #944 on: February 06, 2019, 04:02:52 pm »
We also came to Canada on work permits 2 years ago. Applied for permanent residency after 1 year (you get extra points for 1 year Canadian work experience). We were lucky in that it only took 3 months for the PR to be finalized.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #945 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »
We also came to Canada on work permits 2 years ago. Applied for permanent residency after 1 year (you get extra points for 1 year Canadian work experience). We were lucky in that it only took 3 months for the PR to be finalized.

You still here? Or back in Gauteng? If here, where?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:41:57 am by immigrant »

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #946 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:24 am »
Are the power lines above or below ground? I seem to remember you saying that they have to bury the cables at least 6 feet deep to avoid the permafrost?

I'm guessing that if the power lines were above ground that icicles would form that could short them out and cause outages?

High voltage power lines will not short from snow or ice covering. The water from snow is pure and do not contain electolytes to cause a short.   
If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline silvrav

« Reply #947 on: February 07, 2019, 02:54:56 am »
Are the power lines above or below ground? I seem to remember you saying that they have to bury the cables at least 6 feet deep to avoid the permafrost?

I'm guessing that if the power lines were above ground that icicles would form that could short them out and cause outages?

High voltage power lines will not short from snow or ice covering. The water from snow is pure and do not contain electolytes to cause a short.

Correct, snow, in general, is pure and won't conduct but the water from snow can once water melts, become contaminated and the ions from the impurities become mobile. It depends on how contaminated the area is where the snow melts and in general the air quality it falls within.

There are cases where animals and unfortunately people have been killed in new york walking through melting snow where there was bad wiring.

Offline Bielie

« Reply #948 on: February 07, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »

You still here? Or back in Gauteng? If here, where?

We are still in Canada, in London Ontario.

Offline immigrant

Meanwhile in Canada
« Reply #949 on: February 10, 2019, 01:36:44 am »

We are still in Canada, in London Ontario.

:thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:32:34 am by immigrant »

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #950 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:48 am »
I was wondering if you guys factories would be more “indoors” as here by us.
Frozen timber must be a problem?
Storage?
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline immigrant

« Reply #951 on: February 10, 2019, 07:26:15 am »
Storage?
Logs are stored outside. We use cranes to load it on to log decks that sort it and bring it inside. It has been colder than -40C here for the last 10 days. The equipment that is running outside on the decks is taking serious strain. Oil and grease is like molasses.If anything stops for more than 10 min you take hours to get it going again.
When it gets cold like this the logs shatter when it hits the chippers. And when the chips stay in the storage bins too long they freeze together and jamb up extraction screws. So it’s important to keep things moving and turning over.

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #952 on: February 10, 2019, 12:46:33 pm »
All the more reason why one should not be working at -40 and should not even be living there!! :deal: :eek7:
Guess the oil in diesel loaders is 0W10 or something?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline immigrant

« Reply #953 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:56 pm »
All the more reason why one should not be working at -40 and should not even be living there!! :deal: :eek7:
Guess the oil in diesel loaders is 0W10 or something?
My vrou se kar battery het gevries. Kom by die co-op toe se die ou hy het in die laaste 5 dae meer batterye verkoop as die hele 2018  :eek7:

Ja, hulle gooi 0W40in die loaders

Offline silvrav

« Reply #954 on: February 15, 2019, 03:12:30 am »

Offline immigrant

« Reply #955 on: February 15, 2019, 05:16:59 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:21:22 am by immigrant »

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #956 on: February 15, 2019, 05:48:47 am »
Storage?
Logs are stored outside. We use cranes to load it on to log decks that sort it and bring it inside. It has been colder than -40C here for the last 10 days. The equipment that is running outside on the decks is taking serious strain. Oil and grease is like molasses.If anything stops for more than 10 min you take hours to get it going again.
When it gets cold like this the logs shatter when it hits the chippers. And when the chips stay in the storage bins too long they freeze together and jamb up extraction screws. So it’s important to keep things moving and turning over.

I remember a TV series about a Trans-Siberia road trip in winter under those sort of conditions.
The diesel engines in the trucks they used ran 24/7 for the entire trip.
One had a fuel blockage problem and stopped suddenly during the night.
By the time the backup technical crew had woken up and responded,
they had to heat up the sump and fuel pump with blowtorches to get them going again.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #957 on: February 15, 2019, 06:23:39 am »
Storage?

I remember a TV series about a Trans-Siberia road trip in winter under those sort of conditions.
The diesel engines in the trucks they used ran 24/7 for the entire trip.
One had a fuel blockage problem and stopped suddenly during the night.
By the time the backup technical crew had woken up and responded,
they had to heat up the sump and fuel pump with blowtorches to get them going again.

I don’t even want to think about how much I am damaging my bakkie starting and driving it in this cold. The other morning it was -48C. My bakkie transmission “froze” on the way to work and would not shift. Luckily I was in 3rd gear and could limp it to work. My neighbour could not get his out of park. My average fuel mileage is 22l/100km (no towing) since I have idle it for 20min every morning just to get the transmission temp to + 1C. For 4 days that week we were the coldest place on earth according to http://www.wx-now.com/Weather/WxExtremes
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:25:22 am by immigrant »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #958 on: February 15, 2019, 07:05:34 am »
Do you park your bakkie and car in the garage? - at home - and at work?
Eat life!

Offline immigrant

« Reply #959 on: February 15, 2019, 08:15:56 am »
Do you park your bakkie and car in the garage? - at home - and at work?
Outside. At home and at work.  But at least at work every parking space has a plug in for the vehicle

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay