Looking to get an airhead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrie7

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Good afternoon,

I just joined the forum and made my introduction in the newbies section.

I am looking to eventually starting a project bike/restoration. The idea is to get a decent BMW R80, R100 or similar that I remember from my childhood days. The idea is to buy as original as possible and something in reasonable condition. I will do own maintenance and upkeep as far as possible and progress from there. I will take it slow and only later to look at a more involved project. I would also prefer to buy something that will become more collectible as time goes by, therefore the intention to buy something that has not been changed and close to original, which is how I intend to keep it.

I have been looking at airheads for quite some time and will investigate two possible bikes a bit further. I will attempt to attach some pics too.

Option 1. 1980 R80/7 that seems to be in good condition. According to the seller it is in perfect condition and I will not need to spend a cent. From the photos I can see tyres with little wear and a bike that looks in good condition.

Option 2. 1977 R100/RS that seems good too. According to the seller the carbs need tuning (I presume they all do most of the time) and the speedo needle is broken. If that is the only problem with the speedo I hope that I will find a fix with some internet searching. The seller had the bike for 10 years and bought it off an old engineer in his area who had it for many years. I know the 1977 was the first year this model was made and some deem it desireable. Unfortunately it does not have the spoke wheels.

So my questions. What to look out for at my inspection? To me both of these seem like desireable models? What would be a reasonable price range for them if they are in good shape and ride good?

Any input will be much appreciated. I am in no hurry to buy right away - so any advice of what to look out for will be great.

Many thanks and regards
Abrie

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 226