Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Gear shifting problem anyone experience this?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Gear shifting problem anyone experience this?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
Hi there,
I have a 2015 GSA 1200 K51 , now out of warranty & i have noticed that it is getting more & more difficult to select neutral when wanting to park the machine.
Mine now has 18600 ks on, has the speed shift , although i feel too sorry for it to use it (prefer using the clutch), i thought that the box would become "slicker" after some use , and not "clunkier" . Any one else have a similar problem ?

Offline detour

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 10:56:52 pm »
Hi there,
I have a 2015 GSA 1200 K51 , now out of warranty & i have noticed that it is getting more & more difficult to select neutral when wanting to park the machine.
Mine now has 18600 ks on, has the speed shift , although i feel too sorry for it to use it (prefer using the clutch), i thought that the box would become "slicker" after some use , and not "clunkier" . Any one else have a similar problem ?

I've heard of similar symptoms that were caused by slight damage to the clutch. The symptoms may improve if you leave the clutch plates in oil overnight (Haven't tried this myself, but have it on good authority). If the plates aren't within spec anymore, then you may need to replace some/all of them. If the clutch isn't slipping, then I would try the oil solution first.
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

The following users thanked this post: Andre.Bike

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 11:12:50 pm »
Hi thanks for the reply, but i was under the impression that the new LC's already had a wet clutch ?

Offline detour

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:40 am »
Hi thanks for the reply, but i was under the impression that the new LC's already had a wet clutch ?

Correct, it does have a wet clutch. Hence the advice to let it 'soak' in oil overnight. If you have slightly burnt some of the plates it may cause extra drag from the motor which makes it more difficult to switch gears/neutral. Especially when the wheels are not moving. Letting it 'soak' overnight reduces the drag again, making it easier to switch.

Like I mentioned before, I haven't tried this myself. A friend of mine has and it worked for him.
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »
What I don't like about the LC, is that the gear indicator only registers what gear you're in once you release the clutch.

Also, I was going home on Friday and this LC in from of put his hazards on and stopped. I asked him what happened and he said his bike just went into limp mode??? So he restarted the bike and I followed him to our turn off at Beyers Naude.

My 2017 LC is the same, only displays the gear you are in once you release the clutch.
Also a mission to get into Neutral.
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:25:09 pm »

My 2017 LC is the same, only displays the gear you are in once you release the clutch.
Also a mission to get into Neutral.

Also with the quick shifter?  I don't have the quick shifter, and definitely not struggle with this (also a 2017 GSA).  Take it to the dealer,  still under warranty

Offline Roarman

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 11:06:13 am »
I have a 2014 and yes, I battle to get it into neutral when the engine is running. It's been like just for most of the bike's life but lately it has gotten worse.
Rory

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:30 pm »
No more problems at all on 2017 model. Completely different gearbox

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 03:04:59 pm »
No more problems at all on 2017 model. Completely different gearbox
But that dude said: "My 2017 LC is the same, only displays the gear you are in once you release the clutch.
Also a mission to get into Neutral."

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 09:09:50 pm »
It seems I have developed this issue AFTER my 10k service (which I had done at 9k because the bike went in for accident repair, but that was all cosmetic.  They did replace my wheels though)

* Seems to only be an issue when gearing down
* Seems only to be when bike is hot (like after a long ride)
* Was perfect before (been reading the complaints about this and thought your bikes must be faulty)
* Sometimes indicate no gear at all, have to pull in the clutch again and stop on the gear lever.  (once today had to stop in 4th and stood there stomping the gear lever while pull/let go cluth repeatedly)
* After some dust, it seems there's something leaking from a nipple looking thing on my rear brake..not sure if related.

So assume I should take the bike back  (I cannot do mechanical stuff...10 thumbs).   I'm halfway between Auto Bavaria and Auto Alpina (where I bought it)
Really would like to try out Bavaria, but not sure they will be so kind to supply a loan bike for the day like Alpina always does?  Impossible for me to stay away from work and Uber so far is like 600- 700 bucks both ways.
Any repairs should be covered by my warranty right?

oh, it's a 2017 GS Adventure, no quick shifter thing.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 04:06:23 pm »
2015 GS LC Trophy edition. No issues. 50 000km. * touch wood *

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:06:48 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.