Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Tour through Lesotho goes horribly wrong  (Read 21349 times)

Offline Oilspill

Re: Bike Tour through Lesotho goes horribly wrong
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2017, 08:00:17 pm »
Yo you guys can labour a point. She wanted an African adventure and got one. End of bloody story.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

African adventure gone wrong is not good for our tourism industry.

Living in the WC you should know this.
Did anyone die or get permanently disabled? No.
 Did anyone get ripped off? No.
 Was it tough? Yes...It was meant to be. Could it have been done better?sure
...Will pampered American tourists with zero cultural IQ maybe think twice about what they sign up for in future? Nope, they will continue doing stupid things regardless. 
I really take my hat off to  tour operators who try and create businesses and help our economy doing this.  Give them a break.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »
Give them a break.

Blxm maar julle kan fokken aanhou, graad 2 mentaliteit, ja daar is foute gemaak, lesse sal geleer word, meeste kliente het waarde vir hulle geld gekry. Hoe se hulle? Beste stuurman staan aan wal.   

Oilspill I agree with you, well said.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2017, 08:36:07 pm »
Give them a break.

Blxm maar julle kan fokken aanhou, graad 2 mentaliteit, ja daar is foute gemaak, lesse sal geleer word, meeste kliente het waarde vir hulle geld gekry. Hoe se hulle? Beste stuurman staan aan wal.   

Oilspill I agree with you, well said.

If your and Oilspill's mentality ruled, every single thread on here would be only two posts.  What use would that be?   
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Just the chosen bikes, if indeed GS800's were used, is an idiotic choice for both beginners and women.

Not because it is a BMW but they are notoriously difficult to ride smoothly at low RPM, they're quite high and very heavy. How can people not foresee the result? :imaposer:

This problem would possibly not even have come up had the operator used something like Honda's CRF250/Rally.

We have no proof that these were actually beginners, or in fact what their skills levels were.
The lady who fell ill, causing all this, rides a F800GSA as her personal bike in the USA.
The latest F800GS bikes are nowhere near as jerky as the older models.
The CRF250 would not have done all that well on the rest of the tour from JHB, through Lesotho, over Sani, and then all the way down to Cape Town.

Choice of bike, if F800GS, perhaps not all that idiotic.

Then they should have cut out the extreme enduro called Sani, and stayed on the gravel highways with their big bikes.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2017, 08:45:04 pm »
I'm sure the participants will all dine out on the story for years to come!  ;D
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2017, 08:58:04 pm »
Just the chosen bikes, if indeed GS800's were used, is an idiotic choice for both beginners and women.

Not because it is a BMW but they are notoriously difficult to ride smoothly at low RPM, they're quite high and very heavy. How can people not foresee the result? :imaposer:

This problem would possibly not even have come up had the operator used something like Honda's CRF250/Rally.

We have no proof that these were actually beginners, or in fact what their skills levels were.
The lady who fell ill, causing all this, rides a F800GSA as her personal bike in the USA.
The latest F800GS bikes are nowhere near as jerky as the older models.
The CRF250 would not have done all that well on the rest of the tour from JHB, through Lesotho, over Sani, and then all the way down to Cape Town.

Choice of bike, if F800GS, perhaps not all that idiotic.

Then they should have cut out the extreme enduro called Sani, and stayed on the gravel highways with their big bikes.

If they were beginners, yes.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
Yo you guys can labour a point. She wanted an African adventure and got one. End of bloody story.

African adventure gone wrong is not good for our tourism industry.

Living in the WC you should know this.
Did anyone die or get permanently disabled? No.
 Did anyone get ripped off? No.
 Was it tough? Yes...It was meant to be. Could it have been done better?sure
...Will pampered American tourists with zero cultural IQ maybe think twice about what they sign up for in future? Nope, they will continue doing stupid things regardless. 
I really take my hat off to  tour operators who try and create businesses and help our economy doing this.  Give them a break.

+100000

Offline Jovan

« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2017, 09:51:55 pm »
 :sip:

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2017, 12:07:33 am »
While working as a field guide in KZN we would often have idiots on game drives who would not listen to our instructions. The one case I remember was while surrounded by elephants we had an american (who else) taking photos with his flash on pissing the elephants off, I let my co guide handle it (I stutter and did the work while training for game capture work) and the tourists just wouldnt listen to her. The moron only stopped when I threatened him with physical violence to try and save us from the herd of pissed off elephants.

The guest had a big problem with that and complained to his tour operator who was at the entrance to the reserve, after a very short argument where the other clients on the vehicle backed me up the idiot was told to shut up and get in the bus. Afterwards it came out that the guy thought the animals were all tame ex circus animals and we were trying to sell a fake experience.

So I understand the tour operators side.

A few years ago I was in malawi and I fell ill with malaria, the doctor I saw told me it wasnt malaria although it was my 18th time getting it. And as such I was given paracetamol to stop the fever for a week and refused any other treatment, the person I went there with would not believe me about it being malaria and would not get me to another hospital for actual blood tests. (I was there working on a lodge for a short time and as such did not have my own vehicle, I also did not have any malawian currency to purchase medication with and as such was stuck relying on this person) So on the way hone the last paracetamol worked out of my system and I went from feeling okayish to delirium and vomitting up blood in a few hours while the person driving wouldnt stop at a hospital on our drive down until threatened with violence. I have permanent health issues due to that.

So at first I sided completely with sepsis chick on this case, but after reading the reply from Tim and the reply made by the other clients I would side with the tour operator, especially after my experience with overseas tourists.

But then again my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...

XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline husky

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »
I hope the whole thing blows over without damage.

Send the patient the Alfie Cox t shirt - "Africa is not for sissies" (I guess even he's needed it).

Slightly more serious; it is properly kak to be sick in a "foreign country".I've just been on a guided 4x4 tour outside of SA in quite a remote area - it would not have been pleasant to have fallen seriously ill.

Practical. I think there are a good number of people in Underberg who would have collected her and the bike; quite possibly for free in an emergency. Just a phone call to the local protection services. Contingency planning.