Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Tour through Lesotho goes horribly wrong  (Read 21369 times)

Offline King Louis

Re: Bike Tour through Lesotho goes horribly wrong
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:34 am »
A medic on tour should be able to judge the situation better than a first aider. That should have stopped the said client from riding. It is easy to discuss sitting at your desk, it is different if you have an accident situation in the middle of nowhere. Medivac/Helicopter within one hour? If you are lucky, very lucky. It depends on your insurance company and the back up system they have in place. I have had one rider coming off in deep sand in Namibia, with full medical/evac etc. But based in the Far East, communication is not just a simple phone call away, it can take hours before it is agreed to by the various companies involved. The last one was a single vehicle (minibus) accident just outside Helmeringhausen (not my group), a lady was badly injured, paramedics where on the scene relatively quick, but she needed emergency treatment in a hospital. She was a visitor from the UK. Long story short, with medical cover in place, it still took 5 hours for the helicopter from Windhoek to arrive.

Agreed that a medivac is no guarantee, but it should still be in place.  In this case it could have saved the sick lady the journey down the mountain, or in your case a chopper after 5 hours is still better than a ambulance after 20 or nothing.   In fact, if I was a tour operator (easy to say, I know), I would make proper medical insurance compulsory for any customer coming on a tour with me.
+1000 - I haven't had a customer yet who did not have it. Just remember we take riders from all over the world, i.e. sometimes you have to wake up their providers to get into action (their time may be 2 in the morning?). Easier said than executed in an emergency. Last year I visited a  Canadian in Sandton Clinic, he had come off in Lesotho and was brought by car (illegally) into SA and only after that did he get proper immediate care. Again hours went, before "the system" provided actual help.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 11:02:25 am »
As always, 2 sides of the truth. It would be interesting to know all the details :sip:

:sip: Or, two sides and the truth?
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline armpump

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
What would helicopter "back up" cost as a additional tour expense in lesotho ?

Do SA emergency services have rights to fly in and out of lesotho ?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 11:53:07 am »

As I understand it the chopper has to fly to an airport (border post) to get into the country before flying to the patient and then back again to the airport before it can get out.
Often easier to get to the border by vehicle and then to hospital by chopper.

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 12:02:34 pm »

As I understand it the chopper has to fly to an airport (border post) to get into the country before flying to the patient and then back again to the airport before it can get out.
Agreed,  that is how it is if you want to use a chopper.
My son broke his leg once in Lesotho ( while practicing for the Roof ) and the ambulance went thru the Maseru border and picked him up in Lesotho at Molengoane.
We only provided them with his medical aid number and no more questions was asked,  3 hours later the ambulance arived.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:04:23 pm by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Bappas

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:26 pm »

I can vouch for this. Had a emergency with someone in Moz once.
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »
https://www.jorustadventures.com/single-post/2017/06/12/An-open-letter-to-the-adventure-motorcycling-community-and-anyone-planning-wishing-to-go-on-an-organized-adventure-motorcycle-tour

Her side of the story -Advice

I have a very simple approach to life, consider, decide, act and if you have to explain yourself afterwards its be ause you know you know you got it wrong

That pretty much sums it up..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 04:03:36 pm »
https://www.jorustadventures.com/single-post/2017/06/12/An-open-letter-to-the-adventure-motorcycling-community-and-anyone-planning-wishing-to-go-on-an-organized-adventure-motorcycle-tour

Her side of the story -Advice

I have a very simple approach to life, consider, decide, act and if you have to explain yourself afterwards its be ause you know you know you got it wrong

That pretty much sums it up..

In the modern world where a person can type a blogg in a few minutes it is sometimes required that you respond.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »
In all of this the part that really compounds the issue is that they took care of their accommodation first before taking the obviously very ill lady to hospital...again that's one side of the story but this is not mentioned or refuted in their response????
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Sani pass is all tar now?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »

Lesotho side to the top, not the RSA border to the top up the pass. 👍😎
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:01 pm »

Oh cool, for a moment there...😅

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 06:43:09 pm »

Oh cool, for a moment there...😅

we were there 2 weeks ago. 😎
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline SwampDonkey

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 07:54:34 pm »
Well, the pass itself is not tarred, only from the border post at the top, through to Mokhotlong. :xxbah:

Once I worked for a "holiday on Horseback" tour company in the UK and we took people on a 7-10 day ride across hill and dale and all over the place. Fantastic job!! But I tell you, the amount of times we had people pitch up with their forms all signed and all the rest of it, saying that they could ride well and had been doing so for years, only to find out about an hour or two into the ride on the first day that 'riding in an arena once a month' doesnt quite cut the mustard for the kind of adventure they found themselves on. And 9 times out of 10 the boss stopped the ride, got the horse truck to come fetch the horse and rider and send them back to the farm. Only then carried on with the rest of the tour with the guily party seen off safely. And for the most part everyone went away happy at the end of it. But like any service you provide, there will always be one or two who fall through the cracks!

I can only surmise in this case because not all the details will ever be known. But It seems that the client wasnt totaly open about her condition/or it was misinterpreted/misunderstood. With that in mind, the tour company wouldnt have known that the woman was seriously ill untill she fessed up and said she was too sick to ride. And at that point, it seems that the tour company in question dropped the ball.  I personaly dont think she should have been anywhere near a bike in the condition that she was apparently in at the time. I am 100% sure that a local tour guide/company/farmer/tourist visiting the top chalet could have been asked to drive the lady down to underberg/himeville as fast as possible, and no doubt that person would have done just that. The bike could have been left at the top and collected another time, either by the tour company, or by a mate of a mate or whatever the case. But to get the woman to ride down in her condition... Jezuss, thats brutal  :eek7:

I know, Its always so easy to sit at ones keyboard and say that this should have been done, or that was a stupid idea etc etc. At the end of the day, the lady is lucky to be alive. No matter who is at fault. After what I have read, from both sides, is that the tour operator has missed a golden oportunity to go that extra mile, or in this case, a few extra miles, to see to it that a client was taken care of when she was so sick. It may have been an inconvenience at the time, but am sure that the extra effort/personal touch would have turned this adventure come nightmare into a much more possitive experience. Not only for the woman in question and her husband but for the other riders on the tour as well, and certainly for the tour operator. What does the woman and her husband say to friends and family about the trip, certainly wont get any repeat business by the sounds of it. And the other riders on the tour, what do they say about the whole debacle?? would they recommend this operator to a mate now???

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

XR650R

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 07:50:02 am »
^^^ I would also dearly like to hear from the other riders on this tour.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 08:28:41 am »
As someone has previously stated.... Always 3 sides to a story, however when it comes to medical issues and the safety of your guests there is no compromise.
Even if you think the person is being a naff and a softy it is their money that is keeping you going. rather err on the judgement of worst case scenario than make the wrong call and push them beyond their limits.

A happy guest means many returns.
A mate runs a motorcycle touring company and always has a medivac plan for every single day. Where and what hospitals and doctors available, What those hospitals are capable of treating ect ect.........
Also a prerequisite for his tours is that you have a good medical insurance in place. He and the other tour leader have all the details at all times. You cannot expect a person that is delirious to make decisions and pay for things.....

Just my 2c worth.
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 09:12:31 am »

+1000!

As a ex riding instructor for a riding academy some years ago, I (and the academy) was on the receiving end of a very similar blogg posting.  No matter what you say, it remains a he said, she said with the service provider always on the back foot.  The other students off the day, saved the day for us that time. 
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2017, 12:00:32 pm »

+1000!

As a ex riding instructor for a riding academy some years ago, I (and the academy) was on the receiving end of a very similar blogg posting.  No matter what you say, it remains a he said, she said with the service provider always on the back foot.  The other students off the day, saved the day for us that time.

That is why we all want to hear from the other riders on the trip.

Purely from an objective position. Once the tourist was delirious and continuously falling the tour leader should have stepped in. Regardless of space in the bus and trailer. Regardless of whether or not the condition that led to this state of being was pre-existing or not.
Somebody whether it was another tourist or from the touring company should have gone with the patient to ensure the she got to the right hospital and received the correct care.

The tourist could have died in so many different ways be it accident on the bike or not surviving the surgery. If this had happened there would now be serious litigation and possibly the ruination of a few dreams and possibly lives depending on the legal outcome.

Hopefully the tour operator learns from this and puts better plans in place to avoid a repeat.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 01:45:37 pm »

+1000!

That is why we all want to hear from the other riders on the trip.

Purely from an objective position. Once the tourist was delirious and continuously falling the tour leader should have stepped in. Regardless of space in the bus and trailer. Regardless of whether or not the condition that led to this state of being was pre-existing or not.
Somebody whether it was another tourist or from the touring company should have gone with the patient to ensure the she got to the right hospital and received the correct care.

The tourist could have died in so many different ways be it accident on the bike or not surviving the surgery. If this had happened there would now be serious litigation and possibly the ruination of a few dreams and possibly lives depending on the legal outcome.

Hopefully the tour operator learns from this and puts better plans in place to avoid a repeat.

Does no one else find it strange that none of the other riders insisted on joining in the ambulance, or insisted that she rather gets a spot in the support bakkie....?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline 1190

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 01:56:24 pm »
Or offer to ride pillion and leave the bike?....its easier to ride on the back if your sick and delirious.....I have often done that at 3 in the morning at a rally :lol8:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface