Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Omninorm

Re: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:37 am »
Ok. So following Gerrards successful manner in approaching a what bike problem, I figured I'll follow the same route.

Took XCX  for a little ride this morning, albeit tar only. Have to say that these bikes have always had my attention, reason being, looks,  build quality and motor performance. I was blown away by the power of this machine, but I just had this nagging feeling that the bike feels road orientated. Would have been great to ride some gravel to give me more of a feel for the scoot. I measure in at 1,8 and it felt as if I was in a crouching position all the time. Perhaps bar raisers would sort that, but the bars positioned at a lean angle towards the rider just looks odd.

Currently Triumph has a sweet deal on these bikes and one would almost be stupid to grab one. Still........ Perhaps a older F800 and a Dr650 in the garage is a better bet. Then I have a long distance bike in the F800 that can carry myself, son on pillion and luggage with ease. And jump on the the Dr for thumping pleasure which is close to my heart. I have to confess that the BMW does nothing for my heart rate and I have also never ridden one. That does not negate the fact that they are able and reliable.

So let me hear from the guys with experience on both the Triumph and BMW 800's

Trust your gut.
It's correct.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:26:06 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Lou1

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:30 am »
My twee sente:

Ek het laasjaar n XCX Low nuut gekoop.

Al die jare road bikes gery, en toe n KLR (30 000 km).  :ricky:

Die Tiger sal die selle pad loop as die KLR, dit gaan net meer kos om regtemaak waneer jy val.  :thumleft:

Die Tiger se groot probleem is die Triumph SA Stealership met hul policy van geen naverkoopdiens.

Boukwaliteid is ook nie op standaard vir die prys van die bike nie. My Tiger se beak (afgebreek) en die side stand het al losvibreer. Triumph se reaksie? - "Jammer om van jou kak te hoor..."  :dousing:

Is ek n Triumph fan? JA!  :thumleft:

Sal ek weer een koop? Nee  :( (Wel, miskien n Scrambler of n Street Twin of n Bonnie...)

BMW se naverkoopdiens sal my moontlik oortuig, of dalk n Africa Twin.

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 10:47:31 am »
What's the price of the 800xcx?

R159k

and then currently they have some special where they give you R10k - not sure if it then makes the bike R149k or if you can get extras for free to the value of R10k

i guess it would be the later as they never actually reduce the price of anything

sounds like a very similar deal to the AT now. except that is for R180k but you also get a lot of stuff
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07:29 am »
Ek wil nou nie enige xcx eienaar in die gesit vat nie en ek is seker daar is n paar wat mal is oor hulle fietse, maar dit gaan my verstand tebowe hoekom mens R160k sal betaal vir so n fiets - Dit geld vir die gs800 ook. Daar is tonne beter offroad fietse, tonne beter pad fietse en tonne goedkoper fietse wat beter sal wees van die pad af.

Kyk as jy een moerse Triumph aanhanger is, sure, maar djirre ek verstaan nie dar-deng nie :lol8:

Ek het n ruk terug een gery en dit het gevoel soos n chinese motorfiets van die godkoop variante. Alles voel redelik goedkoop, die susoension is hard tog te sag vir lekker offroad, krag voel ok solank jy hom GEE en die manne huil om n redelike prys te kry wanneer hulle moeg raak.

Ok hy lyk nie te sleg nie, dit kan ek erken.

Is daar enige iemand wat julle van weet wat die xcx gekies het bo n KTM of AT wat altwee gaan toetsbestuur het? Ok ek praat nou nie van dat as n man sy laaste 10000 uit die bank uit gekrap het en nie bietjie kan rek na iets anders nie. Tog is die XCX nie veel goedkoper as wat n sub4000km 1190R gaan wees nie, selfs die 1090R.

Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 11:15:49 am »
I you buy a Triumph you might need to drink your own piss.

So that video of Bear Grylls..."putting it through its paces" then at the end of the video...Paragraph 4. Triumph states themselves that the Triumph is not an offroad motorcycle. Compare that to BMW, Honda and KTM ads.

Your gut feel was right, the engine is great...the rest not so much.
The BMW F800 and Honda AT are better offroad, better backup, more dependable and has better resale. People cant seem to give their Triumphs away.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:16:53 am by Omninorm »
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
Ek wil nou nie enige xcx eienaar in die gesit vat nie en ek is seker daar is n paar wat mal is oor hulle fietse, maar dit gaan my verstand tebowe hoekom mens R160k sal betaal vir so n fiets - Dit geld vir die gs800 ook. Daar is tonne beter offroad fietse, tonne beter pad fietse en tonne goedkoper fietse wat beter sal wees van die pad af.

Kyk as jy een moerse Triumph aanhanger is, sure, maar djirre ek verstaan nie dar-deng nie :lol8:

Ek het n ruk terug een gery en dit het gevoel soos n chinese motorfiets van die godkoop variante. Alles voel redelik goedkoop, die susoension is hard tog te sag vir lekker offroad, krag voel ok solank jy hom GEE en die manne huil om n redelike prys te kry wanneer hulle moeg raak.

Is daar enige iemand wat julle van weet wat die xcx gekies het bo n KTM of AT wat altwee gaan toetsbestuur het? Ok ek praat nou nie van dat as n man sy laaste 10000 uit die bank uit gekrap het en nie bietjie kan rek na iets anders nie. Tog is die XCX nie veel goedkoper as wat n sub4000km 1190R gaan wees nie, selfs die 1090R.

Renrew jy is van topic af. Ons moet eers in sirkels redeneer vir so 5 bladsye voor n ding so opgesom mag word. Fokus asb
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline R62 Montagu

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:42 am »
"Perhaps a older F800 and a Dr650 in the garage is a better bet. Then I have a long distance bike in the F800 that can carry myself, son on pillion and luggage with ease. And jump on the the Dr for thumping pleasure which is close to my heart"

I've not had experience on any of the bikes but:
Depends what you want the bike for - my experience is having two bikes allows you to have the flexibility to really go out and enjoy the different types of riding and not have to battle on terrain that isn't suitable if you only have the one bike. One bike for long distance and another lighter bike for the technical stuff - this has served as a much much better option for me personally.
250 XC-W ; 690 Enduro R ; 990 Adv R

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:24 am »

So that video of Bear Grylls..."putting it through its paces" then at the end of the video...Paragraph 4. Triumph states themselves that the Triumph is not an offroad motorcycle. Compare that to BMW, Honda and KTM ads.

The BMW F800 and Honda AT are better offroad, better backup, more dependable and has better resale. People cant seem to give their Triumphs away.

Amen to that! Although I REALLY dislike everything about a F800. It makes me think of a delivery bike!
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 11:23:45 am »

Renrew jy is van topic af. Ons moet eers in sirkels redeneer vir so 5 bladsye voor n ding so opgesom mag word. Fokus asb

LOL
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 11:26:17 am »

Amen to that! Although I REALLY dislike everything about a F800. It makes me think of a delivery bike!

I had one, picked it over the Triumph XC -  other than the boringly linear power delivery and sewing machine sound with stock exhaust it was a brilliant bike. It's almost the Goldilocks bike...hence the boringness I guess. No issues did everything well, gravel, dirt, even sand. (OK it didn't do sand well...but it did it.)
If I have to choose now I'll take the Africa Twin although it would be difficult to give up the awesome dealership experience and the muffins.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:27:35 am by Omninorm »

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:41 am »

Lol, maybe,  but If you buy a BWM you gonna eat your own face... FACE PLANT style.  BMW is outdated and outclassed. AT is probably a more competent all rounder but bland and I think a little delicate.  If you want to put a big quality smile on your dial get the Triumph.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 11:36:42 am »

BMW is outdated and outclassed. AT is probably a more competent all rounder but bland and I think a little delicate.

You are right....Triumph competes with a 10 year old bike on the pavement.....barely. I guess thats why we will be seeing that F900GS soon. Wonder if it will take Triumph another 10 years.
I wont call the AT bland at all....other than the KTM1090 it's probably the best looking, nicest sounding of the bunch.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:40:46 am by Omninorm »

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
XCX is the bike that made me decide not to replace my car, but rather upgrade my bike.
The BMW 800 is better off road, but I love the XCX. That low down torque and the quiet smooth engine. Tar road Cornering and acceleration is great.

But just before I bought one I tested the 1190 and it on the same ride and yes, in a moment of weakness spent the extra.
 I love that XCX , but need the better off-road capability because I don't ride too good.  :peepwall: :ricky: :ricky:
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 11:51:53 am »
XCX is the bike that made me decide not to replace my car, but rather upgrade my bike.
The BMW 800 is better off road, but I love the XCX. That low down torque and the quiet smooth engine. Tar road Cornering and acceleration is great.

But just before I bought one I tested the 1190 and it on the same ride and yes, in a moment of weakness spent the extra.
 I love that XCX , but need the better off-road capability because I don't ride too good.  :peepwall: :ricky: :ricky:

It does have a GEM of an engine...like a hot knife through butter. I also loved that engine whine, it puts off a lot of people but I love it.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 11:57:50 am »
Well interestingly the spy shots of the new BMW see it changing drastically to copy the Triumph setup. I rode with an AT this weekend, no-one gave it a second glance, the new KTM 1290 caused a big stir, and big balls to tame it probably. If I had to pick, for what I use the bike for, weekend fun on the gravel and in the twisties, I would not swop out my XCX .  My next bike..maybe the new MT 700 XT for something different.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
Well interestingly the spy shots of the new BMW see it changing drastically to copy the Triumph setup. I rode with an AT this weekend, no-one gave it a second glance, the new KTM 1290 caused a big stir, and big balls to tame it probably. If I had to pick, for what I use the bike for, weekend fun on the gravel and in the twisties, I would not swop out my XCX .  My next bike..maybe the new MT 700 XT for something different.

Now you are talking. That is going to do very well for Yamaha.
I'm probably going to go something like Versys 300, Honda 250 Rally or 310GS first... At the moment my riding is short distances and a bunch of commuting these days -  I get my offroad kicks with my road legal 250 WR. So I can ride to the dirt if needed.
By the time the MT 700 XT/Z or whatever is affordable i'd look into one for sure.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:07:38 pm by Omninorm »

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 12:18:10 pm »

Now you are talking. That is going to do very well for Yamaha.
I'm probably going to go something like Versys 300, Honda 250 Rally or 310GS first... At the moment my riding is short distances and a bunch of commuting these days -  I get my offroad kicks with my road legal 250 WR. So I can ride to the dirt if needed.
By the time the MT 700 XT/Z or whatever is affordable i'd look into one for sure.
Absolutely, bigger is not always better. There was a little sh1t on a Dakar this weekend who made all of us look stupid and slow,  Including the BMW 800, AT, XCX, etc. Size does not make up for lack of talent.

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:29 pm »
Lol, maybe,  but If you buy a BWM you gonna eat your own face... FACE PLANT style.  BMW is outdated and outclassed.

I love this guy!  He worries more about my BMW than I do!  Thoughtful soul, he is.   :imaposer:

#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:32 pm »
Lol, maybe,  but If you buy a BWM you gonna eat your own face... FACE PLANT style.  BMW is outdated and outclassed.

I love this guy!  He worries more about my BMW than I do!  Thoughtful soul, he is.   :imaposer:
Hey I did not start the insults. It was the usual insecure guys having a go at Triumph.

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »

Hey I did not start the insults. It was the usual insecure guys having a go at Triumph.

Insults!  What are you talking about?

I am just referring to your inability to use your keyboard without using the letter B, M and W.  No worries.  We understand.   8)
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!