Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Dwerg

Re: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 10:22:25 am »
My comment was just a joke and partly agree with what you said.

-- But why can't people buy a bike like the ones mentioned AND stop and smell the roses? It need not be mutually exclusive. We're not talking about a situation where it's half the price, that I can understand. We're talking about basically the same amount of money.

In fact, probably near to 60% of 1190's are used for commuting... And when they want to they can leave a F800/xcx behind on the tar and dirt.

Is an F800 a good all-round bike, yes. Is and 1190R/1090R/AT a good all-round bike, yes. Can the f800 come remotely close to competing with it on road or dirt, no.

Come down to how informed people are and perception at the end of the day.

Some of it is perception I suppose but people also value things like dealer network, roadside assist etc. I prefer BMWs for commuting purely because when you service it you get a loan bike with a full tank of petrol for the day. If I want to service my KTM, I need to load it on a trailer and possibly sit without a bike for a few days. Doing 3000kms per month just for commuting, things like fuel economy and tyre wear also starts to carry more weight. I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes but it would be a lot more difficult to choose just one
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:25:36 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 10:24:09 am »
Sorry drifting way off topic. I like the Tiger but I agree with the comments about off-road ergonomics.

As for Jups thread, I think that if you start the thread the bike is 90%  bought already  :biggrin:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Online Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:22 am »
Sorry drifting way off topic. I like the Tiger but I agree with the comments about off-road ergonomics.

As for Jups thread, I think that if you start the thread the bike is 90%  bought already  :biggrin:

That is quite true. Just need that little push
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:57 am »
Lots of anger from Triumph owners:  those that had one and got rid of it pronto as well as those that has one and want to but can't get rid of it.

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 10:35:16 am »
My comment was just a joke and partly agree with what you said.

-- But why can't people buy a bike like the ones mentioned AND stop and smell the roses? It need not be mutually exclusive. We're not talking about a situation where it's half the price, that I can understand. We're talking about basically the same amount of money.

In fact, probably near to 60% of 1190's are used for commuting... And when they want to they can leave a F800/xcx behind on the tar and dirt.

Is an F800 a good all-round bike, yes. Is and 1190R/1090R/AT a good all-round bike, yes. Can the f800 come remotely close to competing with it on road or dirt, no.

Come down to how informed people are and perception at the end of the day.

Some of it is perception I suppose but people also value things like dealer network, roadside assist etc. I prefer BMWs for commuting purely because when you service it you get a loan bike with a full tank of petrol for the day. If I want to service my KTM, I need to load it on a trailer and possibly sit without a bike for a few days. Doing 3000kms per month just for commuting, things like fuel economy and tyre wear also starts to carry more weight. I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes but it would be a lot more difficult to choose just one

In total agreement there!

I don't commute so I don't think I've ver thought about fuel consumption, tyre wear and a loan bike. One thing is a fact, you can't dispute BMW after sales service and service in general, KTM can learn a LOT.
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Online Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
Lots of anger from Triumph owners:  those that had one and got rid of it pronto as well as those that has one and want to but can't get rid of it.

:laughing4:
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:54 am »
No not at all, you cannot just make up stuff, mix it with opinion and sell it as fact.  The XCX does not have a stepper motor.  The rest of your post is just opinion.  Thks I will and do enjoy my bike which has done over 21 000 km of mostly dirt and dust without complaint.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 11:27:12 am »
Again this is just made up nonsense. Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension. 

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 11:29:59 am »
No not at all, you cannot just make up stuff, mix it with opinion and sell it as fact.  The XCX does not have a stepper motor.  The rest of your post is just opinion.  Thks I will and do enjoy my bike which has done over 21 000 km of mostly dirt and dust without complaint.

Triumph says it's not an Offroad motorcycle in the ad they advertise it with Bear Grylls and Youtube. Fact.
XC had Stepper motor issues and was only sorted out when the XCX came along....they should have done a recall. Owners with the old XC has no recourse. Fact.
Compared to bikes made for the dirt it doesnt have the low down in first...you have to use the clutch more on slow technical areas than you would on a 800GS. In fact even reviewers that loved the 800XC mentions this on most reviews where they test them. Fact.
It has the rear footpegs welded onto the frame...no seperate subframe...if you fall and crack it..you have to replace the whole frame, or do a dodgey weld. Fact.
Mate's 2015 Street Triple had a big end go after he complained about stuff at service. Was not picked up. Riding around on a Sym scooter while they took about 2 months to sort. Engine had to get shipped to UK and back. Fact.

No opinions or trolling there.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:39:02 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 11:50:22 am »

Triumph says it's not an Offroad motorcycle in the add they advertise it with. Fact.
XC had Stepper motor issues and was only sorted out when the XCX came along....they should have done a recall. Owners with the old XC has no recourse. Fact.
Compared to bikes made for the dirt it doesnt have the low down in firt...you have to use the clutch more on slow technical areas. Fact.
It has the rear footpegs welded onto the frame...no subframe...if you fal and crack it..you have to replace the whole frame. Fact.
Mate's 2015 Street Tripple had a big end go after he complained about stuff at service. Was not picked up. Riding around on a Sym scooter while they took about 2 months to sort. Engine had to get shipped to UK and back. Fact.

No opinions in there.  :laughing4:
The question was about the XCX. Must I drag up every known fault with the Dakar, GS range and every BMW fault not part of a recall, that is a long list.  How many failures and face-plants with snap off suspension before BMW was forced to recall that steaming pile of turd. Go ride your bike and stop running down other brands because you are frustrated with your choice. 

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 11:57:57 am »

Triumph says it's not an Offroad motorcycle in the add they advertise it with. Fact.
Compared to bikes made for the dirt it doesnt have the low down in firt...you have to use the clutch more on slow technical areas. Fact.
It has the rear footpegs welded onto the frame...no subframe...if you fal and crack it..you have to replace the whole frame. Fact.
Mate's 2015 Street Tripple had a big end go after he complained about stuff at service. Was not picked up. Riding around on a Sym scooter while they took about 2 months to sort. Engine had to get shipped to UK and back. Fact.

The question was about the XCX. Must I drag up every known fault with the Dakar, GS range and every BMW fault not part of a recall, that is a long list.  How many failures and face-plants with snap off suspension before BMW was forced to recall that steaming pile of turd. Go ride your bike and stop running down other brands because you are frustrated with your choice. 

:dousing:
Again.... you and your comrades do the same but someone else can't?
Sorry but last time I checked this was a open forum, not a Fascist state.   
 :joker:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:59:06 am by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:17 am »
The XCX is, like any other  adventure bike, not an off road bike. It is designed for roads of all types, including gravel, sand, twee spoor, etc.  While I have happily taken mine down ploughed fields and through huge dongas, it is not designed for that. You want a plastic to do proper off road

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:56 pm »

:dousing:
Again.... you and your comrades do the same but someone else can't?
Sorry but last time I checked this was a open forum, not a Fascist state.   
 :joker:
Omninorm there needs to be some level of sense making at the very least. I don't care if you hate Triumph, hell Triumph probably doesn't even want couch critics  as a customers. But just making up stuff for fun to run down a  product is nonsensical.  The really funny thing is all this South African brand loyalty crap. Ride the bike you love, when you come to replace it check out all the competition and buy the best one that suits your fancy, with good reviews and reports  no matter the brand.  Nothing lasts​ for ever anymore and if you keep any bike longer than five years or 60000 - 80 000km you are going to start spending big money. If you drop it hard they will write it off. You are a fool if you think otherwise, and yes there are one owner little old lady exceptions. I use my bike hard and enjoy it for that, will I buy anouther Triumph. Hell yes. Will it be my next bike, who knows.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
Again this is just made up nonsense. Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension. 

HAHAAAAAA!  You just cannot sleep due to the BMW R1200GS LC fork stanchions issue, can you?   :ricky:

Well, that is rather stange to me as I like my R1200GS LC.  I like it a lot, recalled fork stanchions or not.  I like it so much that I feel absolutely no need to run down your bike to help me like mine more.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 12:50:51 pm »

HAHAAAAAA!  You just cannot sleep due to the BMW R1200GS LC fork stanchions issue, can you?   :ricky:

Well, that is rather stange to me as I like my R1200GS LC.  I like it a lot, recalled fork stanchions or not.  I like it so much that I feel absolutely no need to run down your bike to help me like mine more.
Bear you are right, but Its not because its a BMW, I am very keen on the 1000xr for instance, its the thought of the forks snapping and giving one a faceplant that is a nightmare to me. As a kid I had my whole face smashed in because of a motorbike (I will buy you a beer one day and tell you about it). I believe you guys are facking crazy to ride that piece of crap, but its your right to do so...eish, ouch, cannot watch and pray  it does not happen to anyone again.  Oh and I hate the boxer motor and GS gearbox, and lots more besides but I can say that because I have ridden them and contemplated buying one before I test rode the Triumph..much more fun.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:20 pm »

Bear you are right, but Its not because its a BMW, I am very keen on the 1000xr for instance, its the thought of the forks snapping and giving one a faceplant that is a nightmare to me. As a kid I had my whole face smashed in because of a motorbike (I will buy you a beer one day and tell you about it). I believe you guys are facking crazy to ride that piece of crap, but its your right to do so...eish, ouch, cannot watch and pray  it does not happen to anyone again.  Oh and I hate the boxer motor and GS gearbox, and lots more besides but I can say that because I have ridden them and contemplated buying one before I test rode the Triumph..much more fun.

Well, thanks for a very straight forward reply.  There are one or two incorrect assumptions in it though.

1.  The GS is not crap.
2.  The S1000XR does not have the same fork setup.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 01:09:40 pm »

Well, thanks for a very straight forward reply.  There are one or two incorrect assumptions in it though.

1.  The GS is not crap.
Bear
1. It is my "opinion" that any bike which has forks that snap off is a piece of crap. Others will disagree.
2. I know, and thank God, that the 1000XR does not have the same suspension, motor, gearbox, frame.  Wish they would bring out an adventure version of tge XR..oh boy that would be fun.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »

Just because I don't like the way you engage with detractors, does not mean I have a 1200 LC.  In fact, I don't.  So, made up nonsense or are you just blindly striking out?

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »

Just because I don't like the way you engage with detractors, does not mean I have a 1200 LC.  In fact, I don't.  So, made up nonsense or are you just blindly striking out?
Hyperbole boet Hyperbole. I could have said "good luck selling any bike  in today's market.". Look at the knock the F 800 gs is taking, even Donford Motorrad is advertising them on gumtree.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 01:28:09 pm »

1.  The GS is not crap.
Bear
1. It is my "opinion" that any bike which has forks that snap off is a piece of crap. Others will disagree.
2. I know, and thank God, that the 1000XR does not have the same suspension, motor, gearbox, frame.  Wish they would bring out an adventure version of tge XR..oh boy that would be fun.

Does that mean that, since my bike's fork did not snap off, it is not crap?
If I understand correctly, you like the S1000XR, but will not buy it, because the R1200GS have a fork stanchion issue, even though you know and understand that the two bikes do not share a suspension design or parts? 

Or!  Perhaps it is just hyperbole when you say it is crap?   >:D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:30:20 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!