Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Oilspill

Re: Why would you not buy a Triumph XCX 800 ?
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:05 pm »
Lots of anger from Triumph owners:  those that had one and got rid of it pronto as well as those that has one and want to but can't get rid of it.
Again this is just made up nonsense. Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension. 

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

HAHAAAAAA!  You just cannot sleep due to the BMW R1200GS LC fork stanchions issue, can you?   :ricky:

Well, that is rather stange to me as I like my R1200GS LC.  I like it a lot, recalled fork stanchions or not.  I like it so much that I feel absolutely no need to run down your bike to help me like mine more.
Bear you are right, but Its not because its a BMW, I am very keen on the 1000xr for instance, its the thought of the forks snapping and giving one a faceplant that is a nightmare to me. As a kid I had my whole face smashed in because of a motorbike (I will buy you a beer one day and tell you about it). I believe you guys are facking crazy to ride that piece of crap, but its your right to do so...eish, ouch, cannot watch and pray  it does not happen to anyone again.  Oh and I hate the boxer motor and GS gearbox, and lots more besides but I can say that because I have ridden them and contemplated buying one before I test rode the Triumph..much more fun.

Well, thanks for a very straight forward reply.  There are one or two incorrect assumptions in it though.

1.  The GS is not crap.
2.  The S1000XR does not have the same fork setup.
Bear
1. It is my "opinion" that any bike which has forks that snap off is a piece of crap. Others will disagree.
2. I know, and thank God, that the 1000XR does not have the same suspension, motor, gearbox, frame.  Wish they would bring out an adventure version of tge XR..oh boy that would be fun.

Does that mean that, since my bikes fork did not snap off, it is not crap?
Bear for you the LC could represent  life itself, the joys of the open road, friendship, comfort, escape,  dreams of horizons yet to be reached, the promise of many laughs still to come and a barrel full of memories and wonderful experiences completed together. Its your motorcycle so no,  how can it possibly be a piece of crap.  If the forks did snap off this might influence a change of opinion.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »
Lots of anger from Triumph owners:  those that had one and got rid of it pronto as well as those that has one and want to but can't get rid of it.
Again this is just made up nonsense. Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension. 

Just because I don't like the way you engage with detractors, does not mean I have a 1200 LC.  In fact, I don't.  So, made up nonsense or are you just blindly striking out?
Hyperbole boet Hyperbole. I could have said "good luck selling any bike  in today's market.". Look at the knock the F 800 gs is taking, even Donford Motorrad is advertising them on gumtree.

But you did not; you said : Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension.

I'm moving on, you talk shit and you will not back up your statements.

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »

Just because I don't like the way you engage with detractors, does not mean I have a 1200 LC.  In fact, I don't.  So, made up nonsense or are you just blindly striking out?
Hyperbole boet Hyperbole. I could have said "good luck selling any bike  in today's market.". Look at the knock the F 800 gs is taking, even Donford Motorrad is advertising them on gumtree.

But you did not; you said : Good luck selling your BMW with snap off suspension.

I'm moving on, you talk shit and you will not back up your statements.
Cheerio old chap. If anyone was talking Sh1t it sure was not I who started it

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2017, 02:04:08 pm »

HAHAAAAAA!  You just cannot sleep due to the BMW R1200GS LC fork stanchions issue, can you?   :ricky:

Well, that is rather stange to me as I like my R1200GS LC.  I like it a lot, recalled fork stanchions or not.  I like it so much that I feel absolutely no need to run down your bike to help me like mine more.
Bear you are right, but Its not because its a BMW, I am very keen on the 1000xr for instance, its the thought of the forks snapping and giving one a faceplant that is a nightmare to me. As a kid I had my whole face smashed in because of a motorbike (I will buy you a beer one day and tell you about it). I believe you guys are facking crazy to ride that piece of crap, but its your right to do so...eish, ouch, cannot watch and pray  it does not happen to anyone again.  Oh and I hate the boxer motor and GS gearbox, and lots more besides but I can say that because I have ridden them and contemplated buying one before I test rode the Triumph..much more fun.

Well, thanks for a very straight forward reply.  There are one or two incorrect assumptions in it though.

1.  The GS is not crap.
Bear
1. It is my "opinion" that any bike which has forks that snap off is a piece of crap. Others will disagree.
2. I know, and thank God, that the 1000XR does not have the same suspension, motor, gearbox, frame.  Wish they would bring out an adventure version of tge XR..oh boy that would be fun.

Bear for you the LC could represent  life itself, the joys of the open road, friendship, comfort, escape,  dreams of horizons yet to be reached, the promise of many laughs still to come and a barrel full of memories and wonderful experiences completed together. Its your motorcycle so no,  how can it possibly be a piece of crap.  If the forks did snap off this might influence a change of opinion.

Personally, in your case, I sort of get the "methinks the lady gentleman doth protests too much" feeling.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:04:31 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:52 pm »

1.  The GS is not crap.
Bear

Personally, in your case, I sort of get the "methinks the lady gentleman doth protests too much" feeling.  :imaposer:
No seriously.. please no..not for me, no ways. Did not enjoy that bike, it makes me go zzzzzz, might as well be in a cage, but that should not stop you enjoying it while it stays together. Here is holding thumbs for you.

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »
Saddle Up, at the very least you'll get from this thread... dont buy a  XCX because its bound to get you into bitch fights  :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »
This is funny - People are irrational creatures by nature, and were seeing this first hand here :lol8:

NO ONE goes "I want a real good bike, something that is awesome on-and offroad with a decent second hand sale price and decent extras and accessories options" and then goes and buys a 800xc OR the F800 (although a better in the extras department).

Purely misconceptions about non 800xc or F800's - Boggles the mind why anyone would pay above average prices for an average bike.

I'm not a big fan of BMW but can cencede that the 1200LC looks really good, is a good bike on and offroad and it is seen as a very reliabke bike for the most part. It'c comfy and luxurious with good quality controls and a very good range of accessories. But people don't by the 1200LC thinking they're getting an offroad monster that can rip it up with a 990R/1090R/950SE - They get it for the dealer support, luxuriousness and good riding characteristics.

Problem is many guys that go and buy the 800xc and F800 go and pay the same as other "better" bikes and think they will get the same "performance" and ability.

I must admit though - I also don't know why someone would buy an LC over a 1290R though. Except for "dealer support" and shaft drive (and we all know the pitfalls of this - although I am not opposed to it at all).
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:52 pm »
 :sip: I had the 800 xc and now the 800xcx, I thought the xc was the bike to have, but the xcx is a bike in a different class.
Here is a few things I would like to point out.
1. The xcx does not have a stepper motor, it has a completely new fuel injection management system and is a claimed 17% lighter on fuel, I can see the difference.
2. It has a fly by wire throttle with 4 settings, Road, Off-road, Rain, and Sport.
3. It has three riding modes, Road, Off-road and Rider When you turn the ignition on the Road mode is on, press the Mode button once and the Off-road mode comes on, press again and the Rider mode comes on. The road mode has the traction control set for the road as well as the ABS and the throttle response.
The same with the Off-road where the TC and ABS and throttle response is set for off-road (tc allows the rear to break away before arresting it, nogal lekker) ABS allows limited slip and the rear can be locked.
The Rider mode you can set up to your liking, in my case I set the TC off, the ABS on road and the throttle on Sport.
4. The bike is equipped with auto canceling indicators, but this function can be canceled.
5. The bike comes with Crash bars, Centre stand, and aluminum bash plate.
6. Front and rear WP suspensions both adjustable.
7. The xcx has a larger radiator.
8. The gearbox is mush smoother than the xc's, It feels like an auto box.
9. Both clutch and brake levers are adjustable (4 settings)
10. I have ridden a lot of bikes, all the Bm's, and Japs, recently rode the new AT, yes, I like that bike a lot, I would not swop my xcx for that but would like it in the garage as well, eish.
11. The red on the triple engine comes in at 10 000 rpm and that scream of that smooth delivery.......... what more can I say.   :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline unishaun

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »
Simple. If you like it buy it, if you don't like it don't buy it, you can't go wrong with the Tiger.

We all have different tastes, but at least we are riding...

Offline Dustman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • We know less than what we don't know
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »
Simple. If you like it buy it, if you don't like it don't buy it, you can't go wrong with the Tiger.

We all have different tastes, but at least we are riding...

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2017, 03:48:03 pm »
:sip: I had the 800 xc and now the 800xcx, I thought the xc was the bike to have, but the xcx is a bike in a different class.
1. The xcx does not have a stepper motor, it has a completely new fuel injection management system and is a claimed 17% lighter on fuel, I can see the difference.
2. It has a fly by wire throttle with 4 settings, Road, Off-road, Rain, and Sport.
3. It has three riding modes, Road, Off-road and Rider When you turn the ignition on the Road mode is on, press the Mode button once and the Off-road mode comes on, press again and the Rider mode comes on. The road mode has the traction control set for the road as well as the ABS and the throttle response.
The same with the Off-road where the TC and ABS and throttle response is set for off-road (tc allows the rear to break away before arresting it, nogal lekker) ABS allows limited slip and the rear can be locked.
The Rider mode you can set up to your liking, in my case I set the TC off, the ABS on road and the throttle on Sport.
4. The bike is equipped with auto canceling indicators, but this function can be canceled.
10. I have ridden a lot of bikes, all the Bm's, and Japs, recently rode the new AT, yes, I like that bike a lot, I would not swop my xcx for that but would like it in the garage as well, eish.
11. The red on the triple engine comes in at 10 000 rpm and that scream of that smooth delivery.......... what more can I say.   :3some:

Informative post :thumleft:

Certainly not lacking in the features department! Interesting that you would take the xcx over the AT.

KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »

Informative post :thumleft:

Certainly not lacking in the features department! Interesting that you would take the xcx over the AT.

Good informative and honest post - agree

In my view the best compromise for someone that do mostly tar, coming from road bikes but would like to continue riding when the tar road ends.

Some people have good experience even from the Kawasaki service agents but I personally think that Triumph could have done even better in SA on their own like BMW, and they are selling good volumes of bikes. I would not think twice to buy a new T100 or T120 Bonnieville - the new Bobber is selling good, the new Street tripple and I am sure there will soon be a new Daytona (with the new 765) engine which you now find in the Street tripple. These upgrades which were done recently on this motor is not done on the XCX (The XCX motor is based on the older 675 street tripple with longer stroke)
All in all Triumph has got an exciting range of bikes but none of them is like they also advertise a 'dirt bike' - therefore the disclaimer.

It is the owner that label this bike to be 'off-road' which its not. It is a dirt road capable bike. Trip motors are sweet and produce a lot of torque but still not low down the rev range where you need it for anything technical.
Selling a Triumph secondhand (even almost new) is not easy, ask me I had to sell 2: The Explorer and the XC. In the end I even got a better deal at the dealer on the floor for my Explorer. BMW on the other hand fly's of the secondhand sales floor. I did test ride BMW every time I went the Triumph route and every time the Triumph (personally in my experience) was a much more enjoyable experience in the real world - but the Triumph you buy with your heart, and the BMW with your head. Maybe I'll stick with Honda now.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »
No seriously.. please no..not for me, no ways. Did not enjoy that bike, it makes me go zzzzzz, might as well be in a cage, but that should not stop you enjoying it while it stays together. Here is holding thumbs for you.

Oh, it will stay together.  BMW is well known for that.  I do however understand why it would put some to sleep.  It is not a particularly exciting bike for many.  That I can understand.

Saddle Up, at the very least you'll get from this thread... dont buy a  XCX because its bound to get you into bitch fights  :imaposer:

That is one huge positive.  It is good practice and prepares you for the mother of bitch fights awaiting you once you upgrade to BMW!   >:D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:58:04 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
The talk eventually went not dissimilar to the Mayweather Pacman pre - fight hype and the eventual scrap.....a damp squib  ;) As said by a few,everyone buys what he or she likes.Just imagine how boring the roads, the trails,the parking lots,the pubs....and coffee shops would be if there were only boxed up Gs's, rowdy Klip Trap Masjiene, neat and well built AT's and Proud Brits spread all over these spaces.Some just protect their cabbage patches more vigorousely than others :laughing4:

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »
And how, everywhere you go on a Triumph it gets attention and there is always some lacking- in-talent halfwit wanting to prove a point then getting upset when they loose.  XCX has 10 more HP than the F800,  and is better than the GS 1200 in the twisties, all just enough to hurt.  Most interesting is that the XCX has a digital speedo, so when you are doing 180kph on the Triumph the F800, now a few bike lengths behind,  believes you are  doing 200kph, so they get even more upset when you keep edging away.

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:16 pm »
You beat a 1200LC in a "dice"?

Ok well beating an F800 in anydepartment is not really a feat. But interesting nevertheless.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:56 pm »
Carl Fogarty? :peepwall:

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:29 pm »
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2017, 08:22:33 pm »

Ok well beating an F800 in anydepartment is not really a feat. But interesting nevertheless.
Yup, he was so upset he cut me off as I was overtaking him on the inside. Not very nice or safe, he sulked the rest of the day then left the group never to be seen again.  Sure a rider with real talent would eat  the triumph on a 1200. Point is the XCX has enough to give it a solid go.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:43 pm »

Rather impressive that.  I stand in absolute awe.   :ricky:

At least he is modest enough to admit it is the great bike and not his riding skills that made this feat possible.   >:D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:27:55 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!