Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ktm790adv r, bmw f900gs, Yamaha xt700z tenere, Honda crf1000 AT, Ktm1090adv r  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Bappas

My 10c  None of the bigger twins are nice bikes exept if you want to pillion. If only you could buy the KTM  or the the Huskey with a BM motor that will last!  Despite what people say trying to sweep theep the  poor record under the table. They are just not  bullet proof fast powerfull but that is where it ends.

I would personaly like to see a bike with Rotax/BM 650 motor  design idea of the old 640 Adv maybe a litlle more modern.

That that would need no mods except for the od luggage rack spotlight powerplug etc. O and no KTM  lights  please  !
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
If one is not to image conscience, the fully kitted DR 650 SE, that was advertised on here for R 60k would be my recommendation.

I have a fully kitted one, with a complete DRZ 400 front end and Husky 610 TE Sachs rear shock waiting to be fitted.

With the exhaust and carb done, it's a different animal, that runs with my Husky 610 TE and my friends KTM 625 SXC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline Xpat

Also no N1 adventurer but the truth is that tar is involved in any trip. And so are dirt roads, i prefer being of track in the bush but 130 is slow and that doesn't flout by boat.

Getting no the Nam border is almost 1000km

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

The justification for big bikes that it is 1000 km of tar to Namibia from Gauteng, is completely false.nGetting to the Nam from Gauteng as far as I'm concerned is about 100 km of tar and 900 km of dirt and sand - a lot of it deep sand:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=211633.0

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168377.0

As far as I'm concerned on those sandy tracks the big bike like one of the three you listed (your weights are very optimistic - unless you mean dry weights which are irrelevant. I think it is pretty clear that MT07 Tenere will be about 210 kg full) will become liability very quick. And it will be massive liability in the really good stuff like Kaokoland riverbeds and such (which most people don't go to so if you are the mainstream riding type, this may not be a concern for you)

But of course if your objective is not to explore off the beaten track and just to tick off main tourist attractions on the routes million times traveled, any of those 3 will do just fine and definitely better than smaller single cylinder bike.

Offline Jwoest

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • New Guy for now
Also no N1 adventurer but the truth is that tar is involved in any trip. And so are dirt roads, i prefer being of track in the bush but 130 is slow and that doesn't flout by boat.

The justification for big bikes that it is 1000 km of tar to Namibia from Gauteng, is completely false.nGetting to the Nam from Gauteng as far as I'm concerned is about 100 km of tar and 900 km of dirt and sand - a lot of it deep sand:

As far as I'm concerned on those sandy tracks the big bike like one of the three you listed (your weights are very optimistic - unless you mean dry weights which are irrelevant. I think it is pretty clear that MT07 Tenere will be about 210 kg full) will become liability very quick. And it will be massive liability in the really good stuff like Kaokoland riverbeds and such (which most people don't go to so if you are the mainstream riding type, this may not be a concern for you)

But of course if your objective is not to explore off the beaten track and just to tick off main tourist attractions on the routes million times traveled, any of those 3 will do just fine and definitely better than smaller single cylinder bike.
[/quote]
Wow, i don't have words! That looks awesome!!!

I would love to do that kind of riding. You did the one trip on a tenere 660, that is a awesome bike.
I hope, al speculation that all 3 will be in the same weight class with more power and smoother twin motors.

I see you have a 690 now, are you happy with it and not to be rude but how much did you spend to get it ready to do trips like that? Ps dont need to answer.

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now
My 10c  None of the bigger twins are nice bikes exept if you want to pillion. If only you could buy the KTM  or the the Huskey with a BM motor that will last!  Despite what people say trying to sweep theep the  poor record under the table. They are just not  bullet proof fast powerfull but that is where it ends.

I would personaly like to see a bike with Rotax/BM 650 motor  design idea of the old 640 Adv maybe a litlle more modern.

That that would need no mods except for the od luggage rack spotlight powerplug etc. O and no KTM  lights  please  !
That could work very well

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now

Wow, i don't have words! That looks awesome!!!

I would love to do that kind of riding. You did the one trip on a tenere 660, that is a awesome bike.
I hope, al speculation that all 3 will be in the same weight class with more power and smoother twin motors.

I see you have a 690 now, are you happy with it and not to be rude but how much did you spend to get it ready to do trips like that? Ps dont need to answer.

[/quote]
Just to ad on, i was not thinking of riding 1000km tar. But still 1000km

Offline Xpat

OK sorry, I thought you meant 1000 km of tar as you mentioned tar in your prior sentence, and I hear that argument (1000 km of tar before Namibia) often as justification for big bike. They have their place, but they are definitely not the best bikes to explore off the beaten track.

I replaced XT660Z with 690 exactly because it is too big and heavy (and I'm afraid it would be too optimistic to expect new twin Tenere to be lighter). I got lucky and bought 690 with the rally kit second hand with 2k km on the odometer for R120k. And then spent probably another 15-20, as prevention of known issued (regulator, subframe bolts, Wings exhaust, airfilter).

But again - you need to be honest about what kind of riding you want to do. If you are after comfort, fast speed, two up riding and mainstream adventure touring ( Baviaans, Karoo, Sani and such), big bike is going to be better. You can also do what m0lt3n does and use big bike in tougher terrain like rocks and sand. Been there, done that and wouldn't do it again, but some people like to do that. Still even most of them will be screwed withing few km of deep sand in Botswana (which I would recommend to look at rather than Nam as it is much closer and - quite frankly - tougher riding).

If your priority is to explore off the beaten track as much as possible and you want to have some margin for error, get DS bike like 690/701 or similar, not adventure bike. The best DS riding around Gauteng I'm aware of is De WIldt, and you can use DS bike there on the weekend and then take it for proper longer trip once/twice a year. Another reason for DS bike is Botswana - huge areas of public land to be ridden freely. But you need to tackle tough sand. That (and better scenery and the fact that it feels more or less as South Africa) is IMO why people prefer Nam to Bots - because riding in Nam is pretty easy, while in Bots almost any excursion off tar means tough sand.

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now
OK sorry, I thought you meant 1000 km of tar as you mentioned tar in your prior sentence, and I hear that argument (1000 km of tar before Namibia) often as justification for big bike. They have their place, but they are definitely not the best bikes to explore off the beaten track.

I replaced XT660Z with 690 exactly because it is too big and heavy (and I'm afraid it would be too optimistic to expect new twin Tenere to be lighter). I got lucky and bought 690 with the rally kit second hand with 2k km on the odometer for R120k. And then spent probably another 15-20, as prevention of known issued (regulator, subframe bolts, Wings exhaust, airfilter).

But again - you need to be honest about what kind of riding you want to do. If you are after comfort, fast speed, two up riding and mainstream adventure touring ( Baviaans, Karoo, Sani and such), big bike is going to be better. You can also do what m0lt3n does and use big bike in tougher terrain like rocks and sand. Been there, done that and wouldn't do it again, but some people like to do that. Still even most of them will be screwed withing few km of deep sand in Botswana (which I would recommend to look at rather than Nam as it is much closer and - quite frankly - tougher riding).

If your priority is to explore off the beaten track as much as possible and you want to have some margin for error, get DS bike like 690/701 or similar, not adventure bike. The best DS riding around Gauteng I'm aware of is De WIldt, and you can use DS bike there on the weekend and then take it for proper longer trip once/twice a year. Another reason for DS bike is Botswana - huge areas of public land to be ridden freely. But you need to tackle tough sand. That (and better scenery and the fact that it feels more or less as South Africa) is IMO why people prefer Nam to Bots - because riding in Nam is pretty easy, while in Bots almost any excursion off tar means tough sand.
Would love to meet up and have a beer

Offline Xpat

I'm in Europe now, will be back in SA in October - we can arrange something then.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
If tar is the issue from GP to Namibia, why not trailer?

It's a total waist to put any unnecessary tar kilometers on your DS bike anyway!

Leave the vehicle and trailer at your first overnight spot!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now
I'm in Europe now, will be back in SA in October - we can arrange something then.
Perfect

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now

It's a total waist to put any unnecessary tar kilometers on your DS bike anyway!

Been there, don that

Offline Jwoest

• New Guy for now

Dont really want to ride tar. Would take back roads if possible.

Offline 171steve

I think the yami will suprise us cost wise in a bad way and it will be the more rally oreintated bike of the lot.
Ktm also very offroad orientated but more comfortable than the yami.
Just look at the yami the seat and the bike it looks like some custom build heading for amegeza and you might as well file your divorce if you plan on taking your wife as a pillion with.