Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A bike for 2 on dirt?  (Read 598 times)

Offline JacquesM

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
A bike for 2 on dirt?
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:27 pm »
Guys

I'll appreciate your inputs.

I'm looking for a bike to ride the gravel roads of the WC, carrying me and my wife. I don't need to go fast on the gravel, but I would need to traverse the tar sections at a reasonable speed though. Luggage would not be more than what a top box can take.

I'm not really comfortable on my 1190 on gravel. We've done some gravel roads on it,but I'd like to be somewhat more relaxed. (It could be that replacing the Trail Attack tyres wil make a huge difference, but it remains a larger, heavier bike).

We've done some riding "around the pot" on the TW200. It's great fun, and I don't lack the confidence as on the 1190. It just remains quite cramped up and the getting there takes long. Once on the gravel it can go 80km/h which is fast enough for me. Even with the big bike I seldom exceed 100km/h on gravel.

I was thinking about the following bikes:

1. BMW X-Country. I had a X-Country and really enjoyed it. When I sat on it for the first time I got the impression of a "TW on steroids". I sold that when we still stayed up north, and never rode with my wife on the back. Somehow I think it can do the job.

2.  Yamaha XT660R. Owners I've spoken to describe it as a smaller-feeling, easy-to-handle bike on the gravel road.

3. BMW 310GS. On paper it seems like it might do the job. I only know what I've read, like everybody else.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so long.

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: A bike for 2 on dirt?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:29:44 pm »
All 3 bikes you mention, are excellent solo bikes (well, the first two, 310 GS not launched yet, bu should do just fine one up...)

The COCKPIT room on all 3 bikes will be TIGHT for both of you, long term....
Something with more pillion space would suit you better, since it  like you will be riding regularly together?

Cramped cockpit sometimes = unhappy pillion...
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline JacquesM

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:37:47 pm »
Chris

I very seldom ride alone. My KTM is on it's way to 13 000km. Of that I rode solo for one trip, 350km.

We will surely enjoy as much cockpit space as we can get.

What bikes can you think of?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »
Depending on you and the miss's size, a 650 GS single might work.

My preferred tool is the 990R. (100kg and 60kg.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Clarence1983

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Big Red
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:33:51 pm »
Fitted Anakee Wild to my GS Adv and traction in the dirt is phenomenal. Also I am in process of getting my wife used to standing up with me when riding dirt tracks, this moves the centre of gravity of both rider and pillion lower onto the footpegs which dramatically changes the handling of the big bikes on dirt roads. I personally would not ride faster than 80km/h on dirt roads as i feel increased speeds like 100km/h speed gives the pillion less time to move with you when you react to what the bike does. Also both of you have to get really fit if and when you decide to have you pillion stand up with you as you as the rider will have the pillions weight to contend with while holding on to the bars and what I found with my wife is that her legs fatigue very quickly when standing. Most of the flat surfaces both of us are seated and this is where the Anakee is worth its weight in gold but when I spot some bumpy stuff coming up we stand up together and this smoothes out the bumps for both of us.
If any one says "No" to go riding with you, unfriend them immediately. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

The following users thanked this post: APAPOP