A bike for 2 on dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquesM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Guys

I'll appreciate your inputs.

I'm looking for a bike to ride the gravel roads of the WC, carrying me and my wife. I don't need to go fast on the gravel, but I would need to traverse the tar sections at a reasonable speed though. Luggage would not be more than what a top box can take.

I'm not really comfortable on my 1190 on gravel. We've done some gravel roads on it,but I'd like to be somewhat more relaxed. (It could be that replacing the Trail Attack tyres wil make a huge difference, but it remains a larger, heavier bike).

We've done some riding "around the pot" on the TW200. It's great fun, and I don't lack the confidence as on the 1190. It just remains quite cramped up and the getting there takes long. Once on the gravel it can go 80km/h which is fast enough for me. Even with the big bike I seldom exceed 100km/h on gravel.

I was thinking about the following bikes:

1. BMW X-Country. I had a X-Country and really enjoyed it. When I sat on it for the first time I got the impression of a "TW on steroids". I sold that when we still stayed up north, and never rode with my wife on the back. Somehow I think it can do the job.

2.  Yamaha XT660R. Owners I've spoken to describe it as a smaller-feeling, easy-to-handle bike on the gravel road.

3. BMW 310GS. On paper it seems like it might do the job. I only know what I've read, like everybody else.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so long.