Is it worth stripping down to the frame ? Yes mild restoration on 1990 Tenere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
I bought a 1989 Tenere, I would call it a honest bike. It is 99% original. The condition as can be expected of a 30 year old bike. My plan was never to do a full restoration, I dont have the patience or money for that. My idea was just to fix the small stuff that was wrong with it (no chain slider, leaking fuel tap, rear tyre, rev counter not working) but the more I take it apart I keep getting the urge to at least give the frame a good respray. Thing is I wont be able to do the motor (paint), body panels or wheels etc so not sure if it's worth having a shiny frame and basicly stock everything else. And although it's basic it still looks like quite a big job, all the dry sump oil lines looks like a nightmare to remove and put back as I can already see the oil leaks appearing. I want to ride this bike ! Is there any tips on touching up parts on the frame, spray can or maybe even touch up paint with a brush  :eek: ? Come weekend I'm going to buy 5L of Prepsol as a start !