Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is the 2017 GS 1200 LC Trophy Edition front suspension or fork adjustable  (Read 560 times)

Offline Baffler LC

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
When I bought my new Trophy Edition I was so excited, that when I was told it did not have ESA I was not too phased.  In fact it was quite attractive as IMHO less electronic buttons / motors / and thingys to go wrong.  In any case after a few rides and reading the manual I have always managed to find good settings.

Having read the manual and had a few rides I have achieved a very good suspension setting for the rear, good compromise for tar and gravel so I will only have to readjust for any heavier off roading.  The bike really handles very well on tar and gravel.

Now for the front, I cannot find any adjustment anywhere.  I have searched this forum but not been able to fine anything either.  I find the front a little bit too hard for my liking on tar.  Changes in surface, storm water drain covers and generally bad SA roads can cause quite bad jarring.  Off road its not too bad, obviously because of lower speeds, I prefer to cruise on gravel and am not that fast nor want to be.  However, on rocky gravel roads there is a lot of jarring and shaking.

Any help or tips will be most gratefully accepted.  I have heard of progressive shocks but have no idea how these work or if they will help.  Can one change out the front shock for a softer version?  But the on road handling might be negatively affected.

I am 125 kgs and enjoy 140kmh to 150kmh tar road cruising, enjoy doing the twisties and on gravel I enjoy 50 to 80kmh depending on conditions.

On road tyre pressures I run 2.3 front and 2.7 rear, off road 1.9 front and 2.2 rear.

Thanks very much

Offline Baffler LC

My apologies, meant to say front SHOCK and not fork, adjustable...... :redface:

Offline BabyBeemer

The front suspension on the GS is not adjustable - even with the electronic packages.  As for off road tyre pressures - try 1.7 front and rear. Works for me.

Offline Warren Ellwood

I have the 2017 Trophy Edition and fitted Hyperpro progressive springs front and back.

To me, the springs have made a massive difference to the ride, and they have transformed the bike as far as I am concerned. Before I found the bike quite nervous on long stretches of corrugations for instance but now I barely feel them. The suspension feels more plush and a bit softer up top. I like.

They were around R4300.00 for both.

When we stripped the front shock out to fit the new front spring, we found there are three setting for the height or compression of the spring when fitted. There is a a clip that holds the spring in place and this can go into one of three groves. But it is not an easy adjust as the whole shock must come out and this involves stripping the entire front of the bike down.

But if you have a bit of spare cash, I would highly recommend fitting the progressive springs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:17:34 pm by Warren Ellwood »
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Baffler LC

Hi  Warren, thanks for the advice !

Did you fit the springs only and leave the standard BMW shocks in?

Where was the original spring setting at in the front?

At what setting did you adjust your new front spring to?  Comparing your weight to mine and my riding style that I provided in my post where do you think I should set the new front spring to?

Did BMW fit the new springs for you?  Do you know if fitting the new springs will void or affect the warranty in any way?

Thanks for your help and advice so far, apologies for all the additional questions.

Offline Warren Ellwood

Answered your PM, but didn't keep a copy, you're welcome to post it here.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline kalbas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • ek ry bike omdat ek wil.....
Hi  Warren, who did your setup.??
I'd rather be a rider for a minute than a spectator for  a lifetime.

Online OomD

The front suspension on the GS is not adjustable - even with the electronic packages.  As for off road tyre pressures - try 1.7 front and rear. Works for me.
Do you mean the hardnes/rebound is not adjustable? Because the preload (height) certainly is.

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
The front on the Trophy is not adjustable, it is the most basic shock I have ever come across - in short it is very average!

The ESA LC GS is also not height adjustable, it doesn't have an electronic preload adjustment motor like the old ones. The rebound and compression damping are done electronically via the dynamic system within the shock.
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

Offline Miracle_Salad

Anyone know where in Cape Town they would stock progressive shocks?

Also would it void the warranty doing a change?
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
 :sip:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Warren Ellwood

My Hyperpro springs were arranged for me by a friend through Mike Hopkins Kawasaki, but DMD is the importer so any of the agents can get them.

Luckily this good friend is also very clued up and mechanically minded and he assisted me to put them in, I can tell you it is quite a job though.

I am not sure re warranty, I suppose it will depend on what you are trying to claim for. I cannot see it for instance voiding an engine warranty.

When you take the front spring off, you will find that the retaining clip can go into one of three groves, so adjusting the pre-load.