Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 500 Adventure Filthy  (Read 4890 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: 500 Adventure Filthy
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 07:49:32 am »
My bought-unseen 500 arrived by Time Freight, and I was relieved to find all was in order, and it was just like the pictures. Basically unused. I took it out for a quick spin and my god that thing pulls hard. Throttle wheelies in pretty much any gear. It stalls a lot easier in technical terrain than the 300 I've been riding, so that's an adjustment, and I'm going to have to do something about the suspension because it's got harder springs in, which I think may be a touch too much for my weight, but it seems great. Gave it a service (probably its first - the oil was black) - and started pulling it to pieces.

Last time I did this, in a fever of excitement for Amageza, I went to town. Lots of days like this:

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good farkle. Nothing better than lots of beautifully machined little bits and pieces arriving by DHL and assembling them on your bike. However... having spent two years almost exclusively on the 300 in very inhospitable terrain, I've become convinced that KTM's tagline really is what it says: "Ready to Race". The bog standard bike is fucking brilliant. I've chucked mine down a gazillion rock faces, flipped it, crashed it, bashed it and trashed it, and the damn thing refuses to break. A KTM enduro bike is a truly brilliant thing, and I both love them, and have grown deep respect for their makeup.

Every little bit of extra shit you stick on these bikes adds weight and complexity, and often decreases durability. It's often unnecessary and it's always expensive, and I really don't have any money to burn on this bike.

So, the overriding philosophy of this build is to keep the bike as close to stock standard as possible, and only to change or add bits that are absolutely necessary. I also don't want to make it a touring donkey. Any bits that are added should be easily removable for a blast through Atlantis or an enduro ride. Basically, the bike should stay as close to its roots as possible.

So, here's my list:
  • More fuel
  • Roadworthy kit - indicators, brake lights, hooter and a mirror
  • Power to charge batteries on the move
  • Tubliss

And that, my friends, is that. Absolutely nothing else. The bike came with some hand guards, which I'll keep on for now, although I was planning on using the standard open shields from the factory. It also has some aftermarket pegs - ok, whatever - and a carbon clutch cover which I probably would have put on. So all good!

I was very lucky to find an Acerbis 20l tank advertised at the same time as the bike, which I snapped up for a bargain R3000, but what made this an absurd deal is that the seller already had a pump assembly fitted, so he could swap easily with his standard tank. That's around R6k plus of fuel pump, filters etc, so I was well, well chuffed.

So... ready to roll, my new lightweight adventure bike set me back a sum total of R65k, which I think is a great deal. Time to get started...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 08:07:48 am »
KTM does make a bit of a rats nest of wiring. Check out that glorious five-earth-wires-twisted-together earth solution. But the mantra is don't change a single thing unless it's absolutely necessary, so I'm leaving standard well alone and just adding what I need to get the road kit working.

A certain friend-who-can't-be-named knows his way around a testing station, and hey presto, I had a registered and roadworthier KTM XCW with not even an indicator in place. Glorious! But I am going to be riding this on the road, so I think some low profile indicators and a working brake light are a reasonable concession to safety. The XCW has front and back light, but that's it.

I swapped my kill switch with my mate Adam's six days light switch, cause he's not riding on the road anyway:

It's the latest 2017 stuff and is very low profile and covers everything. I guess you can order plugs from KTM to fit their loom, but that's a pain:

... and I had a lot of Sumitomo MT sealed connectors left from my previous build, so decided to change everything over to those (well, the bits I was meddling with). It's high quality stuff, and will last forever: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html. Gedelec in Paarden Island sell some nice silicone covered wire in loads of different colours. It's heat resistant and even the smallest core wire does 18Amp so it's perfect. Lovely to work with too.

Tiny flush LED indicators at the back:

This rats nest is slowly resembling an ordered wiring state:

I'm leaving the standard lighting toggle switch in place, so I can isolate the lights off if I want to save power in the bush. Then before that switch (on the same circuit) I've taken a power tap for indicators, hooter and brake lights. I may just be overloading that circuit but haven't bothered with the maths and will see if the fuse blows.

After the switch goes via the left hand multi switch for dim/brights. I had to run two lines to the back of the bike for front and back brake power, and also for indicators, and chose to stick in one extra earth line for safety, so all I've added is a 'loom' with five wires in it. Down the right side I've added a pre-fab fused power line straight from the battery to an SAE connector to power my tank bag:

This is the only thing that will work with the bike off. Booya. Should finish the wiring off a little later today, and hopefully the bike starts and doesn't burn my garage down.

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:55 am »
Use a small self tapping screw from behind the low profile LED indicators to make sure they stay where you put them. I lost three before I eventually did that, I still have on the ones I put there like that.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 08:45:55 am »
That's a great idea - thanks.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:02 am »
What has worked well for me over the years is to simply go to N+R, Bike hospital, or Craig's, etc. and buying, cheaply, bundles of old JAPANESE bike wiring.

I then cut off JAP connectors and solder them into place where it's needed.

I have found that a 30 year old Japanese electrical bike connector is still superior to anything off a Euro bike.

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:12 pm »
Awesome build, I need to build one in the very very near future...

PS - A kickstarter can be fitted to the 2017+ models from the powerparts in case anyone is considering 2017+ models.  Also the 2017+ six days models come with xplor forks (same as on non six days).
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Jaakmh

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »
Awesome thread. Nice buy. Keep it coming.
Like the Vespa 🛵!

Also RR will be most welcome once you hit the road.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »
Sub. Learning a lot
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline onderbroek

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »
Subscribe
hak vrystaat

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »
Sub  :sip:

Enjoy your writing and craziness  :thumleft:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline lone riderer

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • travel.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:25 am »
 :sip:
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Offline Hendrew

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 11:57:54 am »
Scribe :sip:
Thank you please

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 03:19:22 pm »
We had a bit of a test ride in the drizzy weather Sunday. Wired up except for the front flickers, since I need some brackets, and the hooter (same reason). All good, except I confirmed the following:
  • Tyres are horribly unbalanced - need to fit some shiny wheel weights I got from Rocky Mountain
  • Enduro tyres are kak on tarmac. Duh.
  • My wiring is excellent. Well, except for the brake light being permanently on. I'm backing myself here and saying the front electrical switch is faulty, because I think my wiring isn't. I'd have solved the problem last night if I hadn't left my multimeter on and flattened the battery.
  • Never fit a tank in a rush cause you'll strip the mounting bolt. FaaaaaaarrrrkkkkkkK!!!!!!!!!!
  • My front brake may need bleeding - it's horribly soft

Above bolt problem aside (FFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRKKKKKKKKK!) I have two matters I need help with:

(1) Where can I find some lovely little brackets like this:

Kind of like a sailing eyelet, but flat. I'm making my Giant Loop mounting solution absolutely bullet proof this time.

(2) How do you get sticker residue off an Acerbis polyprop tank? The one I got came with a nasty 6-day sticker kit on and they just look better au-naturale. At the moment I'm thinking gently heat gun to soften, pull off, scrub with petrol and then scour with vim. Yes, vim. That was Safari Tanks in Aus' advice on my old X-Challenge tank and it worked a treat. But I'm open to ideas.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

Kind of like a sailing eyelet, but flat. I'm making my Giant Loop mounting solution absolutely bullet proof this time.

I'm sure boating supply shops should stock or maybe just ask someone who does stainless steel fabrication to make you a set

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »
I would be very careful with a heat gun, especially where a plastic fuel tank is concerned.

Maybe try a hairdryer, set on hot, first.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:10 pm »
WD40 for any sticker glue that remains. Let it soak in first. Should be able to wipe it off with a little bit of elbow-grease

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »
Maybe instead of the Footman loops (Q1) make a Nylon Backing Plate and bolt to bike using the same holes as the footman loops. The backing plate need not be big but can make a more stable base than just the fender? Just a thought.
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline Scooterbike

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 05:45:22 pm »
ai, here we go again...
AT (rooi moses); Husky 501, Husky 250

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:31 pm »

I'm sure boating supply shops should stock or maybe just ask someone who does stainless steel fabrication to make you a set

Seaport Supply
40 Paarden Eiland Rd, Paarden Eiland

They got lots of cool small fastening devices
'Routine is the thief of time'