Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 500 Adventure Filthy  (Read 4892 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
Re: 500 Adventure Filthy
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:32 am »
Haven't got there yet...

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2017, 07:06:10 am »
Didn't finish work in time to make it to Adam's last night for him to sort out my tank bolt. So I decided to stop being such a godamn pussy, and loaded up my 6mm bit and took out the damaged thread. As they say, look thrice, measure twice, drill once. I resigned myself to time-sert if it went wrong. but it didn't.

Done!

OK, what else?

i'm running Tubliss on this bike and although you would never notice it in the dirt, on tar the wheels are horribly unbalanced and it makes for a rough ride. Stick on wheel weights are rubbish for this application - they'll just fall off - so I got a friend to bring me a set of these:

Tubliss is about 4oz opposite the rim lock to balance. I'm not going too anal with the balancing, because the reality is that with changing tyres often, and running slime, it's never going to be spot on. I've got 3 3/4oz on front and back, and I'll see how it feels.

Only two jobbies left - fit the hooter and these:

Bought an offcut off 4mm black HDPE yesterday, and I'll make up some brackets over the weekend.

Oh - and Pete - I got some nylon brackets from Seaport yesterday - shot! I've ordered a new set of plastics for the bike so I can box these original ones. I'll put those on when the plastics get here. As my brother would say: Booya!

Offline Buff

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:01 am »
Looking oh so schweet  :drif:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:44 pm »
That tanks looks the business!!  :thumleft:

Offline Single Cylinder

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2017, 08:49:36 pm »
Nice   :thumleft:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline Buddy

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »

Those shiny wheel weights will look kief here in Kraaifontein when you gooi around the circle.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline GTRacing

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Heeltyd speel tyd...
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »

Building my 3rd one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too many toys and not enough time...

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »
Nice  :laughing4:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 06:47:06 pm »
Had her out for a first shakedown ride today. Goes like the clappers. Very nice!! Incredible power and traction in the dunes. Could do with a damper for when she shakes her head at speed in the deep tracks, but I think this may not be in the budget before Namibia.

And with a few friends she'll be chasing around the Namibian desert quite soon now:

Offline Flowers

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Happiness is
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2017, 08:01:22 pm »
Just bought a 2017. Used to riding a 1200 , this little machine is a beast , in a very exciting way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline espresso

• Bike: Mars (all models)
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2017, 08:53:02 am »
What tyre have you got on there?
Looks really radical!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2017, 09:10:44 am »
At the moment just Dunlop Enduro tyres - the ones they come with. Will change for trip - rear won't last. 

Offline espresso

• Bike: Mars (all models)
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2017, 09:19:11 am »
What are you planning to use for the trip?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 02:28:55 pm »
As my mate Justin would say - black and round!

Mitas C21 on the front across the board, Mitas 130 E09 on the 690s and DR, and Mitas 120 MC23 on the 500 and DRZ (they're cheap).

Not planning any tar at all and hopefully less dirt and more goat track.

Offline MiniDan

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 03:03:32 pm »
Hey Maximillion, thanks a million. Really enjoying this... :thumleft:

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »
OK, I've had a few runs on the new bike at Atlantis, just because I can... and I'm very glad I did. I managed to cook the engine just a touch on Saturday... nothing like a light cloud of steam to reveal that in fact your fan thermoswitch isn't working. Before a major trip into a very remote, very hot desert. Got home and bridged the terminals with a screwdriver and fan is working just fine, so got on the blower to KTM this morning for a new switch.

And an in-tank filter kit and spare injector, just to be on the safe side. In my experience the injector is the most likely thing to go when out in the bundu.

Got a friend to bring back one of these little bolt kits for me from Rally Raid. £14 is quite a lot for two bolts and two little turned collars, but what this does is allow you to easily remove the injector with a standard KTM toolkit. I know from experience that being stranded in Botswana lion country with a clogged injector isn't the most fun, especially when you don't have a funny, bendy little toolkit to get at the screws.

This weekend is going to involve some grease application on the suspension and head bearings, and fitting the above stuff. And I then I think we're mostly ready to roll.

Offline bud500

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 07:46:41 am »
Not sure if I missed it here, but I would also suggest you get a few of those inline fuel filters that sit in the fuel line connector. They can also easily glog when using dodgy fuel.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:28 am »
 :sip:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:31 am »
The motorcycle fan thermoswitches are crap and notoriously unreliable - they hate vibration and everything else we do with our bikes as opposed to being cosily mounted in a car's engine bay - on my 500 I have bypassed this switch and wired it up so that the fan comes on automatically as soon as you start the engine - you don't even have to think about it - its on - and it also turns off automatically when you kill the engine

All those fancy fuel filters and spare injectors are a waste of money IMO - fit a high pressure high volume fuel filter from a car like I did and you will never have shit - this fuel filter will do 50 000 km before it needs changing and your injector will stay cleaner than a nun's fanny forever

... but I know you like your bling and have lots of money to burn

FREE TIP: Check your battery leads - especially the lugs for any metal fatigue or cracks - these become brittle and break (but still stay together) - at first glance they look OK but they do not make good connection - when they lose contact the bike will surge / fart / splutter / misfire / stall / die - you will think it is a dirty clogged injector when its actually an electrical fault - install an earth cable to both the engine and the frame to ensure good continuous uninterrupted power supply

PS - your old fuel tank on my bike is still "better than factory" - 1 year later and my first time R30 repair job is still more leakproof than a duck's arsehole  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:23:56 am by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:34 am »
The motorcycle fan thermoswitches are crap and notoriously unreliable - they hate vibration and everything else we do with our bikes as opposed to being cosily mounted in a car's engine bay - on my 500 I have bypassed this switch and wired it up so that the fan comes on automatically as soon as you start the engine - you don't even have to think about it - its on - and it also turns off automatically when you kill the engine

Hmmm. Not sure about this one. That's assuming the fan is going to survive being run 100% of the time - I'd rather put it on a manual switch like my 300, if I didn't daydream as much as I did. Never had the thermos witch go on any of my previous KTMs, but you're right it's a known issue.

All those fancy fuel filters and spare injectors are a waste of money IMO - fit a high pressure high volume fuel filter from a car like I did and you will never have shit - this fuel filter will do 50 000 km before it needs changing and your injector will stay cleaner than a nun's fanny forever

... but I know you like your bling and have lots of money to burn

I'm probably doing that anyway, but with 3 FI KTMs on this trip I think it makes sense to have a spare injector along for the ride.

FREE TIP: Check your battery leads - especially the lugs for any metal fatigue or cracks - these become brittle and break (but still stay together) - at first glance they look OK but they do not make good connection - when they lose contact the bike will surge / fart / splutter / misfire / stall / die - you will think it is a dirty clogged injector when its actually an electrical fault - install an earth cable to both the engine and the frame to ensure good continuous uninterrupted power supply

An excellent idea, otherwise one may have to walk out, and come home with one's 500 on the roof of a landrover.

PS - your old fuel tank on my bike is still "better than factory" - 1 year later and my first time R30 repair job is still more leakproof than a duck's arsehole  :biggrin:

To be fair, that's really MY repair job, or actually we both owe Hendrik for his Steenvas suggestion. But you're welcome  ;)