Hypothesis, old small < new big

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I hypothesise that a new 1200 like 1200GS LC or 1190 class bike is just as capable in tough terrain as an old, say Africa twin 750 or such similar class bike was, if not a lot more.

They almost weigh the same, maybe 20kg less, the rest is better, clearance, susp travel and power in sand.

First time I had this thought was when I saw some of these old bikes in an Xpat RR going through mud on the Botswana pans. And while common consensus is that those routes are above the capabilities of my bike, I remember thinking screw that, if those bikes can then mine can. This thought was just awaken again when I saw the recent photos on Facebook of the old Trophy guys doing Angola spergebied without support on LC's (as well as an adv) and also Van Zylspass (with support). Now I know they have above average rider skills, but screw that, what I lack in skill I can make up in willpower! (famous last words!)
Anyhow, that's background to my statement.