Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Visa requirements for foreigners with PR to neighboring countries  (Read 286 times)

Offline krokonoster

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Bit early, but curious.  As far I know South African citizens can just enter neighboring countries with their passports (been all over the world, but sadly never other African countries)

Anyone know how this works for foreigners that have permanent residence status in South Africa (not citizenship, so their passports is still from their country of origin)

I'm guessing the visa requirements apply as if they were visiting from their country of origin?  (thus their SA PR means nothing) ?

Reason asking is my wife is a foreigner with a PR, and when I got my skills sorted would like to start doing trips that might take us over the border. (Botswana, etc)

Offline Xpat

• View Profile
Re: Visa requirements for foreigners with PR to neighboring countries
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:07 am »
Yes, the original country passport matters. I am Czech with SA PR and still need to organiza visa for Namibia upfront annoyingly.

Offline krokonoster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:34 am »
Yes, the original country passport matters. I am Czech with SA PR and still need to organiza visa for Namibia upfront annoyingly.

Díky, brácho

Offline Robin Brown

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:25 am »
My wife is a Brit and has to get visas when in Africa. Also d's citizens must buy a visa on arrival in madagascar

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:25 pm »
The difference with a permanent residence comes in in that you don’t need to go to your country of passport and obtain the visa there. With proof of residence you can obtain the visa at the embassy in the country of residence.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline King Louis

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:31:48 pm »
I have PR/German passport. Namibia and Botswana have no visa requirements for Germans. Zim, Zam, Swazi, Moz, Mal, Ken you need to pay. All obtainable at the border posts. Average USD 50. You need cash, not all accept credit cards, or machines not working. Take new cash, some reject older notes. Tanzania offers two different visas, one "transit", one for travelling generally  all over. First one 30 USD, second 50 USD. They advise big fine when you cheat. I no belief! :3some: :ricky:

Offline krokonoster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:25 pm »

All obtainable at the border posts.... 

Was going to read up later, but that statement made me curious if this is all or some countries and for all / some nationalities?   

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:16 pm »
British passport with PR have never needed a visa for Botswana, Namibia, Zim, Zambia, but it may have changed. 😎
Having fun..... there may be casualties.....

Offline King Louis

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:44:50 pm »

All obtainable at the border posts.... 

Was going to read up later, but that statement made me curious if this is all or some countries and for all / some nationalities?
Check out before the trip and avoid surprises. I took US, Canada, Chile, Portuguese, Malaysia, Spanish, Brazilian citizens through. No problem Had a problem with an Argentinian who did not have correct visa for Namibia. He was refused entry into Namibia and had to return to SA.

Offline krokonoster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:48:12 pm »
Check out before the trip and avoid surprises. I took US, Canada, Chile, Portuguese, Malaysia, Spanish, Brazilian citizens through. No problem Had a problem with an Argentinian who did not have correct visa for Namibia. He was refused entry into Namibia and had to return to SA.

Yep, will be doing that.  Just wanted (and did) get the general gist of things.    Thanks everyone

Offline Xpat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »
Generally the Southern African countries (with exception of SA) are by far the worst in terms of visa. Botswana (for which I needed visa until they finally cancelled that few years back) and Namibia are plain pain in the ass in terms of stupidity of their requirements.

Zimbabwe on the other hand - where I nominally need visa upfront - always let me in getting visa on the border. I got lucky on the border also with Mozambique twice (coming both times from Swaziland), but both times they gave me earfull that it is exception, so proceed at your own risk.

Further up AFrica you go (talking east africa now) the easier it is, with exception of Sudan and Ethiopia where you need to get visa upfront and it may be mission. Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda have East African Union or some such, which means you need to pay 50 USD for three month visa but that is then valid in any of those 3 countries - you don't have to pay again (as long as you don't exit into another country like Rwanda).

I have to say that I find Namibian attitude plain stupid - considering tourism is one of their main sources of income. My father had to go all the way to Berlin from Slovakia (even tough he lives less than 60 km from Vienna where he used to be able to get visa), just to get the stupid visa. Twice. I actually avoid Namibia because of that unless I have a strong reason to go there.

Offline Appel

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:06 am »
What about a Re-entry visa for a foreign passport holder to get back into SA? I had issues with this years ago coming from Swaziland on a Dutch passport. Not sure if this requirement still exists.

Offline Mwendo

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Aforika
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:06 am »
http://aforika.co.za/resources/resources is a work in progress which may add some value.
I would appreciate accurate info / feedback so that I can update it, as appropriate.

--
Wisdom does not always come with age - sometimes age comes alone! (Anon)

Offline krokonoster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:27 am »
http://aforika.co.za/resources/resources is a work in progress which may add some value.
I would appreciate accurate info / feedback so that I can update it, as appropriate.

Where you want the info/feedback?   No mentions of countries like Czech or PRC (China)

Not 100% sure what your site about on a quick glance?

Offline Mwendo

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Aforika
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 10:03:26 am »

Where you want the info/feedback?   No mentions of countries like Czech or PRC (China)

I got the impression, from your original post, that you are interested in visiting SA's neighbouring countries!
Please accept my apologies if this is incorrect.

For what it's worth:
Aforika is about a tour of the African continent which I am currently engaged in. The info I have gathered to date is therefore necessarily limited to African countries. There are links to Visa Requirements for some of these countries from the URL I have provided. As I mentioned, this is a work in progress.
You are welcome to post comments to this thread or by means of the "Contact" tab on the site.
--
Wisdom does not always come with age - sometimes age comes alone! (Anon)

Offline krokonoster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 10:09:47 am »

I got the impression, from your original post, that you are interested in visiting SA's neighbouring countries!
Please accept my apologies if this is incorrect.

For what it's worth:
Aforika is about a tour of the African continent which I am currently engaged in. The info I have gathered to date is therefore necessarily limited to African countries. There are links to Visa Requirements for some of these countries from the URL I have provided. As I mentioned, this is a work in progress.
You are welcome to post comments to this thread or by means of the "Contact" tab on the site.
Yep, you are right.  Just that while I'm South African, the wife is a PRC citizen with permanent residence status in SA.  It's more about what I need to do for her to visit neighbouring countries.

Either case, will check out your site properly tonight.   Sure full of useful info ("tour of the African continent which I am currently engaged in"...lucky bugger)