Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Formerly known as Faantjie.....  (Read 478 times)

Offline Rouxman

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
Formerly known as Faantjie.....
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:18 pm »
Good Evening all!!

So recently after a few years absence on forums and from Adventure Riding I found myself browsing the WD forums again.

One thing led to another and before I knew I signed up again as Rouxman (Faantjie's sign in details ling forgotten).

Great so now I had access to the For Sale section and in an attempt to catch up on missed "investment" opportunities I soon found myself on a double figured page and there it was......

"Well thing is" I thought to myself, "the missus and I have been saving for bikes"!!And being a boxer snob I have been saving for a flat twin of the 1150 variety.....

And this picture looking back at me on one of the latter pages late one evening is a Beemer so send the PM!!! But is it still for sale? Well send the PM!!

I send the PM and soon after a reply stating "It is!"
I send another PM and soon a WhatsApp conversation is exchanged and not ling after that some money is exchanged and on Saturday morning I'm collecting and riding the Beemer back from Mpumalanga to Gordon's Bay (WC).

So stand by for a two day ride report soon. Due to work commitments I have only Sat/Sunday to commute back home but the pull for a mini adventure is strong and hopefully a mini adventure can be had.

A bit about myself......
As a young(er) man I dreamt of riding a scrambler and the closest I got to riding a scrambler was eating scrambled eggs.
My dad was very supportive of my motorcycling and always said that I can get a bike as long as find a place to park it

Anyhow I became an avid cyclist! I could never understand how it was ok to hurtle down a hill alongside my old man at 100+ km/h half naked but as soon as you stick a motor in the frame.....
I love my old man! Honest!🤣🤣

So I ended up in the UK (where I stayed for 10 years) and cycled 50km a day through London five days a week. I got promoted but this but this meant night shifts.

Driving my usual commute from Wembley to Morden and back would see me spending the best part of 3-5h per day in the cage, the trains (tube) were an option but I hated this as rush hour after a 12h night shift wasn't my idea of unwinding, cycling after a 12h night shift was plain wreck less which left me with only one option......

A SCRAMBLER!!! And not the oval shaped variety! A real SCRAMBLER!! One wif shocks, that makes a noise and drinks petrol and wheelies!!

So came the arrival of my first real motorcycle!!

Yip!! A 100cc Peugeot 307 scooter!

And out went cycling and fitness!!

It was brilliant! I had such a laugh on it and the bug really took hold!!

I started lurking on adventure forums like XRV.Org where I met great people like Lootch, Maverick, Chad, Darth Vader, oo7 and many more!!

Trouble was, they had bikes, real bikes not scooters! Adding to my challenge I had only a learners and would be forbidden under Her Majesties law to ride a bigger bike than a 125cc without a full license!

So again no problem but I still need a bike, a real scrambler!!

Soon on Biketrader I found a 2002 Honda TransAlp! 900miles 2500.00! Perfect for me since after all, it's a step closer to the  proverbial Lamborghini Countach, an AFRICA TWIN!!
How I dreamt of riding the Ultamate bike (in my book) through Africa.

Next thing I knew I was in a rented van on my way "up norf" to collect my new scoot.

I got home late that night and had to park the bike at a mates house due to the lack of safe parking facilities at my flat as well as the inability to insure the bike without a license.

I had to ride the bike the 8km to their house. Having never ridden a geared bike before I still remember like it was yesterday the feeling of all those (50) horses underneath me! I had no doubt that this was to be every bit as good if not better as I had imagined for all those years!!

Me on the left behind the TransAlp at Salisbury Plains.

So fast forward eight months I fell in live with KTM 950Adv and was on my way to trade the Honda when Maverick in his usual convincing laid back way suggested I first try a Beemer and because they hold their value if I don't like it I can sell it again.

So onto Biketrader agin and soon I was the proud new owner of a 2002 BMW 1150GSA Triple Black (Till today still my favorite bike).

So in 2008 the facelift 1200GS was launched. KTM was now a distant memory and before long I sold the 1150GSA (big mistake!!) and acquired a brand new 2009 1200GS in blue!

Yes in between there were others but it was short lived flings like KTM 640SM and Honda VTR 1000.

End of 2008 after 10years I returned to the mother land no thanks in large to this forum's ride reports!!

First on the agenda, new scrambler!!
This came in the dorm of a new 2009 BMW R1200GSA in red! Acquired from Hamman at the time!

I had a great time and thanks to oo7 at the time for periodically taking me under his wing through some of the best riding and scenery I've seen up to then!!

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/weekend-fun-and-games-in-the-south-african-karoo.442319/

Being vertically challenge I long forgot the near topples on the 1150 when I took delivery of the 1200Adv. I rode it for 18 months and 45k before I sold it to a gent in Trichardt.

Then came a lull! Story for another day!

Then there is some hazy memory of a Yamaha R6, a yellow one

This was soon replaced with a white 2010 BMW R1200GS, much better suited for my short ass! In my opinion the GSA is better value for money....
The missus now also had a BMW 650GS. She rides like tiger and is one of the best sights in my rear view mirror!!

And the we had a lapse in concentration and sold the adventure bikes and got KTM's, a 200XCW for her and 250XCW for him.

We had great fun on these until last year when we sol them.

And hence forth starts a new chapter in our riding adventures.

The vrou will soon be in the market. Watch this space (or rather For Sale section) soon for a "wanted" post from Rouxman!

Looking forward to meeting some dawgs on the road!!

Cheers
Fanus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Actions express priorities - Gandhi

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
Re: Formerly known as Faantjie.....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:35:59 am »
Welcome and looking forward to your RR's
It is great that your missus rides with you!
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »
Welcome and congratulations with your purchase. Looking forward to your inputs.
I love your Peugeot scooter. Should have brought it with. Not many (if any) of those in South Africa.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »
Welcome and looking forward to your RR's
It is great that your missus rides with you!
Hey Oubones
Yes it awsome having her around! She is very good and will try almost any obstacle at least once!
Thanks for the welcome!!

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:08 pm »
Welcome and congratulations with your purchase. Looking forward to your inputs.
I love your Peugeot scooter. Should have brought it with. Not many (if any) of those in South Africa.
Thanks for the welcome eberhard!!
That scoot was great fun!! Quick of the mark as well although max speed down a hill with some tailwind was about 100kph
Very good breaks and handling!!

Offline eberhard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:16:31 pm »
I regularly follow bike trends / events from the UK on the net. From what they post and pictures they put on, I glean certain things, like bikes are often stolen, licensing issues with bikes as well as riders, a lot of red tape, beautiful riding country, etc. I also gather that leather gear is still popular over there. It would be great to get your opinion on some of the bike lifestyle in the rUK. As and how relevant issue come up, please entertain us with what you had experienced.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:08:16 pm »
eberhard, your summary is accurate. Bike theft in the UK is a big problem! It is normal practice to buy a new bike with an alarm, data dot and tracking device. If a 2nd hand bike doesn't have it it's beneficial for a new owner to have one fitted as insurance companies offer discounts for security devices. It's also common practice to ride around with the biggest chain and lock you can possibly carry. In fact the different lock and chain setups are rated by independent organizations and the insurance companies recognize this and offer additional discounts if you commit to locking your bike when you're parked. Needless to say the area one stays in as well as where the bike live (locked garage, off street parking) all has an influence on how much your insurance for a said bike would be.
Also, years riding experience and no claims also saves money on insurance which encourages a safe rider culture amongst most.
People ate very safety conscious and in all my years riding over there I have never ridden with a crowd where any alcohol was consumed during a ride. It was always amusing to me when visiting the Ace Caf to see big burly tatoo'd biker pull up and ask for a cuppa (tee).
Motorcycle police as you can imagine receive special rider training and in the UK is a pretty good career. So to give back the police offers normal members of the public (motorcyclists) the opportunity to share in their knowledge. Typically they would give you a radio and an earpiece and ask you to ride as you would do normally, then you would return to base for a de-brief and lunch. Then you would go riding again with said PC in your ear adding value to your riding. If you attend these kinds of courses it also saves money on your insurance.
Obtaining a license for a complete novice providing you pass all with exams and riding tests is a week ling course. Very valuable!!

Riding gear is varied. They do believe in leather as is offers the best protection but for the avid adventure rider as you know there is only one word, GoreTex!
HeinGericke is very popular in Europe and the UK. Berik and AlpineStar I remember was also very popular or was it jus me.
As you can imagine you have soo many choices of everything over there!!
Winter months brings about sleet, snow and the feared black ice. To combat slippery conditions salt is sprayed on the roads and thus corrosion prevention for the year round rider is an ongoing battle! ACF50 correctly applied works well!
Generally when you get wet you stay wet. Not like here where you can wet and dry twice a day in a ride.
I met only nice people on bikes in the UK!! One thing they're not big into is revving the tits of their bikes for no apparent reason at all!
I still don't get why it's amusing to rev a super bike or any for that matter into the limiter in neutral. I know it makes a noise, you don't have to prove it.
There are stunning places to ride! Scotland, Whales and SW England were my favorites.
People annually migrate to EU for their biking holiday as it is (almost was) very accessible via ferry or train.
North Africa also used to be a popular destination but not so sure about these days. Spain offers similar riding to SA.
Lastly, people generally are very courteous toward one another on the roads. It was a surprise to me to see people getting upset when I filtered in traffic here in SA. People would wanna cut you up or intentionally block your way for no reason. Generally in the UK, even rush hour traffic in London, cages give way and if they see you. There are tossers everywhere but it's a mentality thing. It's just different.
So for all that is good over there that is what killed it a bit for me, it's so controlled and regulated that it takes away that bit of freedom we every now and then so desire!
Don't ride here ride there. Too fast, too slow. Too high too low! Blue not red. Etc etc. Africa offers a sense of freedom with world class offroad and scenery and people and food and weather. In Africa we are still free ti be who we are as long as we don't go completely ape......

Offline eberhard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
Thank you for that answer. Awhile ago I visited some of the Inner Hebrides Islands and met up with two Germans who were touring there on early eighties BMW bikes. As we had bikes in common, we struck up a conversation. I envied them, listening to their trip experiences from Germany. But, all so REGULATED.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7

Offline NoRush

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:40:51 pm »
Welcome back Rouxman,  :ricky:

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »
Thank you for that answer. Awhile ago I visited some of the Inner Hebrides Islands and met up with two Germans who were touring there on early eighties BMW bikes. As we had bikes in common, we struck up a conversation. I envied them, listening to their trip experiences from Germany. But, all so REGULATED.
The choice of bike (specially airheads) over there is amazing!! Also people generally keep their vehicle histories right down to the last receipt. I respect that!!

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:52 pm »
Welcome back Rouxman,  :ricky:
Cheers NoRush

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:31:12 am »
Welcome back Rouxman / Faantjie! It was fun reading the condensed version of how you got to where you are now, bikewise.   :)

The vrou will soon be in the market.

Pictures, price? Dare we ask about mileage?

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:59 am »
Welcome back Rouxman / Faantjie! It was fun reading the condensed version of how you got to where you are now, bikewise.   :)

The vrou will soon be in the market.

Pictures, price? Dare we ask about mileage?

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Roxenz....
Not sure if your comment had relevance to my latest ride or the vrou's future ride so herewith to cover all basis....

In terms of my latest acquisition ("investment"), stand by for RR officially starting in the form of a live "blog" tomorrow afternoon! All will be revealed.

The vrou will be in the market for a single 650gs, Dakar or possibly X Country....with two 5lit fuel bladders

Pappie wil vr verdwaal

Below.....Bonus read!!

FWIW,
I refer to to a scoot as an "investment" not in the Robert Kiyosaki sense of the description (something that generates passive income) but in the Rouxman / Faantjie sense of description "something that generates passive sanity".

See in my view without passive sanity there can be no passive anything. I'm blessed in life to be able to fulfill this basic need to own and ride a scoot of some sort which in my book generates periodic passive sanity if and when a sanity top up is required.

There fore an investment!

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 04:59:31 pm »
Welkom terug mater! Laat ek jou nou bietjie stof paadtjies gaan loop wys hier innie Karoo in.
Harry Dunne: According to the map, we've only gone 4 inches.

Offline Rouxman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
Welkom terug mater! Laat ek jou nou bietjie stof paadtjies gaan loop wys hier innie Karoo in.

Dankie Maverick!! Kannie wag nie!!