Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF1000L Fork tube internal wear....Heads Up  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Craighkzn

• Bike: Honda XR650L
CRF1000L Fork tube internal wear....Heads Up
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:06:05 pm »
Just a heads up guys...I've had major internal wear on my upper fork tubes..Anodizing worn off completely by the bushes...basically the forks are toast...I'm working on warranty claim now...3 other guys on the advrider forum have found the same thing...check out the AT suspension thread on ADVRIDER.com...just worth a look...hope it helps someone else...
Always ready to ride

Offline arrowfeather

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: CRF1000L Fork tube internal wear....Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:42:41 pm »
  :o
XL500S - sold
GS650dakar- flew of a mountain
XT666R - ridin like a bat outta hell (for sale)
CRF1000l AT - sweet geezus

Offline Escapade

• Honda AT CRF-1000 DCT
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 07:44:50 pm »
Just a heads up guys...I've had major internal wear on my upper fork tubes..Anodizing worn off completely by the bushes...basically the forks are toast...I'm working on warranty claim now...3 other guys on the advrider forum have found the same thing...check out the AT suspension thread on ADVRIDER.com...just worth a look...hope it helps someone else...

Pls let us have an update...I just ordered my new Africa Twin and want to make this a condition under the sale....
....'In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, It's the life in your years.....

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »
Maybe they can supply a press fit bush to cure it  ;)
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:20 pm »
How many kilo's have you done ?
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
From ADVrider:
There has been a lot of discussion in the CRF1000L Africa twin suspension thread about the premature failure of the front forks. These failures look to be affecting the majority of people who have inspected their forks so far. It affects all years of the CRF1000L model years 2016 and newer, as far we can tell so far. The purpose of this thread is to bring attention to this problem so current owners can get their forks inspected before they are out of warranty and new prospective owners can make an informed decision about buying this bike. Ultimately we want to put pressure on Honda to acknowledge the problem and ultimately engineer a fix to the issue. The only way that this will happen is if they end up feeling it in their bottom line.

The Problem

The Upper fork tube (the gold tube on your forks) will show premature wear of the anodized hard coating on the inside of the fork tube where the lower fork tubes upper bushing rides. It is roughly at the location where the lower clamp of the triple clamp holds the forks but on the inside of the upper fork tube. The wear is evident as low as 200km of hard riding, but most normal riders are seeing it after about 3000km. To put that in perspective the fork anodizing is supposed to last the life of the bike.

Why does this matter

The upper fork tube has an anodized coating applied (the gold color) to the outside and inside of the tube. This coating has two main purposes. It protects the base aluminum metal of the fork tube from corrosion and it also creates a hardened layer that allows the lower fork tube to be able to slide inside the upper fork tube without wearing away the aluminum base metal of the fork. Without the hard anodizing the aluminum base metal would wear away a lot faster and would also create a lot more friction which would severely decrease the forks ability to slide smoothly up and down. Once the anodizing is worn away exposing the aluminum base metal, the added friction causes what is called in the suspension business “Stiction”. Stiction is the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion. Stiction is the enemy of a well-designed fork, because it decreases the performance of the suspension. Small bumps and undulations in the road will not be able to overcome the stiction and will end up transmitting those imperfections to the rider. It can also have a detrimental effect on dynamic maneuvers like cornering. This could, in the worst case, cause your bike’s suspension to not react to the road surface properly and lose traction.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:04:52 am by SchalkL »
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:09:24 am »
see , i told you so ...... that blerry fools gold stuff

rather black chrome , or black anodizing 
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:24:02 am »
The fork story sounds a bit weird... In a normal coil spring fork with bushings, the lowers (silver+smaller diameter) and the uppers(gold+larger diameter) should never contact each other. The only thing that can rub the uppers internally is that the bushing is fitting too loosely in the uppers, hence moving a little for each stroke, hence rubbing. This can be easily fixed by increasing the OD of the bushing so that it is more of an interference fit. I think this can even be fixed in the aftermarket?

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
Maybe they can supply a press fit bush to cure it  ;)

Or maybe she shaves  :peepwall:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:39:08 pm »
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline sparro

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 11:06:45 am »
Has this issue been addressed by Honda as a recall yet?  I'm quite keen on getting a low mileage used AT but not if the forks are stuffed already with less than 10 000km?  Spent a fortune on the Katooms suspension and not again on a "new" bike...

Offline dieseldawie

• I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:11:16 am »
Watching this thread as I am now approaching 17 000km manly Tar, but have done a couple of trips. I see there is not any recent updates here.
How do I test for this Sticktion thing? Would like to test and if issues go straight to Honda
I have a direct phone number into Honda management via a friend if I need to speak to them.
I think maybe our Quest colleagues could assist with some bad publicity if Honda do not play ball. @McSack.
Where are my shorts??

Offline khvbktm

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
Watching this thread as I am now approaching 17 000km manly Tar, but have done a couple of trips. I see there is not any recent updates here.
How do I test for this Sticktion thing? Would like to test and if issues go straight to Honda
I have a direct phone number into Honda management via a friend if I need to speak to them.
I think maybe our Quest colleagues could assist with some bad publicity if Honda do not play ball. @McSack.
What have you decided to do dawie? Have you had your shocks checked? I am also following this thread closely as an AT is a bike i am considering.I Don't mind if there is a preventative measure or solution I can take, but definitely will pass on an AT if there is no support and this is a proper issue that owners are encountering? Spoke to our local salesman and he said he had never heard of the problem?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline Neo_za

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »
Salesmen are not known to admit to faults in the products they sell  :deal:

The following users thanked this post: popman.rhonwyn

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:56 pm »
What have you decided to do dawie? Have you had your shocks checked? I am also following this thread closely as an AT is a bike i am considering.I Don't mind if there is a preventative measure or solution I can take, but definitely will pass on an AT if there is no support and this is a proper issue that owners are encountering? Spoke to our local salesman and he said he had never heard of the problem?
Guy's, don't believe everything that you read on the internet. The percentage of bikes that were affected by this problem is a mere drop in the bucket of the total number of Africa Twins out there. The problem is that you only read and hear of the bikes with troubles but never hear of the thousands of happy owners out there. 
khvbktm don't let something like this put you off from buying an awesome adventure bike.
We are six Africa Twin owners in our group and I can tell you that we ride the shit out of our bikes and we have no problems apart from the standard wear and tear.
If you are worried about after sales service, come have a look and talk to the team at Honda Central and you will be amazed at the quality service from them. 

We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline khvbktm

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 03:19:25 pm »
Guy's, don't believe everything that you read on the internet. The percentage of bikes that were affected by this problem is a mere drop in the bucket of the total number of Africa Twins out there. The problem is that you only read and hear of the bikes with troubles but never hear of the thousands of happy owners out there. 
khvbktm don't let something like this put you off from buying an awesome adventure bike.
We are six Africa Twin owners in our group and I can tell you that we ride the shit out of our bikes and we have no problems apart from the standard wear and tear.
If you are worried about after sales service, come have a look and talk to the team at Honda Central and you will be amazed at the quality service from them. 

Thanks Losper I appreciate the reply and the effort for the pictures! That trip looks great! I completely hear what you are saying and as always there are 2 sides to a story. I would still like to know what the guys that have encountered this problem have done to fix it or if they have heard of a preventative measure?

Offline dieseldawie

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 08:02:01 am »
Not sure how to test for it. The reports I read from other forums said the issue affects nearly all bikes, so not sure what to believe.
Where are my shorts??

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 08:14:08 am »
Name the bike you want as alternative and I am sure you will be pointed out a similar issue quick quick.
GS has stanchions
KTM has fuel pumps
super tenere you can break the footpecks clear off...

I can go on...
look for issues and you will find them. This is definitely not reason for not buying a bike
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

The following users thanked this post: popman.rhonwyn

Offline dieseldawie

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 12:25:42 pm »
Name the bike you want as alternative and I am sure you will be pointed out a similar issue quick quick.
GS has stanchions
KTM has fuel pumps
super tenere you can break the footpecks clear off...

I can go on...
look for issues and you will find them. This is definitely not reason for not buying a bike

I already bought the bike. The question is if it becomes a proven fault, will Honda stand up and foot the bill to fix it permanently?  BMW did....eventually.
Where are my shorts??

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n