Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF1000L Fork tube internal wear....Heads Up  (Read 2429 times)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

Re: CRF1000L Fork tube internal wear....Heads Up
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 07:46:33 am »
How long is the warranty as I have less than two weeks before my first year is up on the 26th July

Maybe I should send it anyway for the annual/12000km service but it only has just short of 10000km on it?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 08:12:08 am »
How long is the warranty as I have less than two weeks before my first year is up on the 26th July
Maybe I should send it anyway for the annual/12000km service but it only has just short of 10000km on it?
The best would be to discuss your concerns with your dealer, always good  that al parties knows where they stand with each other.
I personally think that this whole thing is completely blown out of proportion.(precisely what social media does)
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 08:38:24 am »
Have the answer, the warranty is two years

https://www.honda.co.za/PDFs/CRF1000L%20DCT%20AFRICA%20TWIN-Specifications.pdf

Although that is the DCT, the normal ABS should be the same

Offline Dux

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 09:24:19 am »

The service book will state 12 000km or 12 months whichever comes first , get the service booked now even if it is too early as far as km are concerned and have peace of mind that if there are any problems you have completed your side of the agreement .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: DavidMorrisXp

Offline Dux

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 09:25:41 am »
The best would be to discuss your concerns with your dealer, always good  that al parties knows where they stand with each other.
I personally think that this whole thing is completely blown out of proportion.(precisely what social media does)

Couldn't agree more  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 09:31:43 am »

Couldn't agree more  :thumleft:

I appreciate it may have been blown out of proportion but I also have small niggles like the squeaking in the front which appears to come from the steering bearings which `I notice when I push the bike while the engine is off.

Now if I add my niggles to the rusty spoke issues reported and fork tubes I was concerned that the bike she be given the once over by an expert eye at the dealer.  After all Honda would re-imburse them for any work needing to be done

Offline Dux

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 11:54:52 am »
Correct , if you have niggles they should be addressed , if not then you have recourse to Honda SA , my advice to you is to email the dealer a list of 'problems' that concern you , and insist that they reply to your email , that way you have proof of complaint .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

The following users thanked this post: DavidMorrisXp

Offline popman.rhonwyn

• Always looking for new routes.
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 08:02:02 am »
Yamaha xtz 660 tenere
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin

Offline popman.rhonwyn

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 08:38:10 am »
https://youtu.be/MoBsd2tR7yQ

Interesting video...

My AT is doing the exact same and leaking same side. It is on 33000km

I am the second owner... First owner never even did gravel. To old. Only used for touring...

I did probably 200km on gravel...nothing technical.

Awesome bike still...just very disappointed.

What would these cost to fix less or more?

See pictures
Yamaha xtz 660 tenere

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 08:42:34 am »
Mine had a leak way worse than that after some muddy riding and it just took a clean with the "special hook tool" to sort it...then put some fork socks on and I've had no issues since

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline popman.rhonwyn

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 09:22:17 am »
Mine had a leak way worse than that after some muddy riding and it just took a clean with the "special hook tool" to sort it...then put some fork socks on and I've had no issues since

Thanks! Did you refill the lost or leaked oil as well? How many km trouble free now?
Yamaha xtz 660 tenere

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 10:22:07 am »
Fork socks is your friend :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

The following users thanked this post: popman.rhonwyn

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 10:39:51 am »

Thanks! Did you refill the lost or leaked oil as well? How many km trouble free now?
I had the shock oil checked and "topped up" when I took it in for a service. I'm no expert on shocks but the dealership reckoned just empty and replace the oil both sides instead of trying to muck about figuring levels so that's what I had them do.
That was at around 8 thousand kays and I'm at 23 thou now with no issue.
Still carry the plastic hook made from a coke bottle in my tools for just in case

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline hiltonph

• Probeer hom maar regop hou al is dit op een wiel..
    • Weskaap Stofpad Ryers
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 10:44:44 am »
Just Bought a twin with 20k km on which was used as a offroad touring bike.  I am a big guy and the standard suspension is sss.... lets just say not adequate for my weight and riding style. I took the shock and forks off and went to Martin Peatzold. He worked his magic and it is night and day difference. He inspected my forks and found no issues what so ever. The standard fork seals was not even worn out but had new honda seals fitted anyway. Fitted Fork socks so i know i will have no issues. Really one of the best upgrades in my opinion.
#maakstof

Kawasaki KLR650 / Honda varadero xl 1000v/ BMW r1100s / Aprilia Caponord etv 1000 / KTM 1190 ADV R / Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000

Offline popman.rhonwyn

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 11:01:42 am »
Just Bought a twin with 20k km on which was used as a offroad touring bike.  I am a big guy and the standard suspension is sss.... lets just say not adequate for my weight and riding style. I took the shock and forks off and went to Martin Peatzold. He worked his magic and it is night and day difference. He inspected my forks and found no issues what so ever. The standard fork seals was not even worn out but had new honda seals fitted anyway. Fitted Fork socks so i know i will have no issues. Really one of the best upgrades in my opinion.
Thanks! I can feel my suspension has been adjusted..cause it is not soft and bouncy. Its setup well enough for my weight and style of riding.. I order socks and still have to replace seals soon... I also cleaned with "special hook tool" as (mentioned in this thread) and no leaks so far... It surely reassuring to hear your seals were fine...as I am sure mine is in good condition...thanks again

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Yamaha xtz 660 tenere