Hole in petrol tank - feedback, solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

africana

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We went riding this morning early and on being passed on a railway service road, hit a culvert quite hard in the dust and rising sun but did not drop the bike. I smelt fuel and thought it might be overfilled tank but at the first stop saw the fuel squirting out of a hole in the tank. I rushed back home before I lost all the fuel.
On the photos the white spot - see the paint came off as well. Not sure to put pics with a thread

Now 2 questions- how to get this repaired and is and costly and
What to do about this when out in the bush and not able to get home in other words how to repair in emergency? Some sort of putty?

Thanks.

Eventually went to two different plastic welders (one contacted by Peter of MX Adventure) and both said the plastic can not be repaired as a long term solution - I have to replace the tank.

Spoke to Peter about the problem and he said "bring the tank land et me have a look". Dropped the tank off on Saturday and he was even willing to help install the tank again on the Sunday - thanks Peter!.  So far after using Q-bond no seepage or leaks and seems to last. Will test on the dirt roads this weekend. I know it is not a permanent solution but will do until I can get the money for a new tank and the subsequent painting thereof.

Thanks for the help Peter!  :laughing4:

Forgot to say that the grey powder in the Q-bond box is recommended for use with petrol!

Attachments

• IMG_1957 copy.JPG
    IMG_1957 copy.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 272