KLR dead, weird electrical problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
The is the second time I have had this problem on this particular KLR of mine.

1st time (about 3 months ago)
Bike started spluttering and I turned it off. When I turned it on, no electrical power, nothing working (neutral light, hooter, lights). Managed to jump start it, as I took the jumpers off the battery it started spluttering again, lights dim, rev counter shooting up and down, if I pulled brakes then the rev counter behaved even more erratically and engine chocked. Managed to ride the bike home. Took the battery out and put it one of my other KLR’s and same problem. Replaced the battery with a new one, problem solved and have done about 2,000kms on it since.

2nd time (yesterday)
Did about 350kms on the bike, stopped for petrol, started the bike up (no problem) and parked outside the garage.  10 mins later tried to start the bike, same problem as the first time (no electrical power, nothing working ,neutral light, hooter, lights). This time I disconnected the battery, push started and managed to ride it 140kms home, but still spluttering and not happy. This time also lights dim, but rev counter dead, perhaps because it disconnected the battery

Any ideas please. If the alternator was not charging the battery, how come it started (i.e. did not labour) when I started it up after filling up and then was dead 10 mins later when I tried to start it?