Vstrom 650 Buying Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recoil

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi all,

I am hoping someone could provide me with some guidance.

I recently moved to Australia from SA. Sadly, I had to let my bike go. The good news is that I am in a position to start riding again and I am excited to explore a new country on two wheels. For reference, multiply all values by 10 :).

In a nutshell, I have two options.
2012 model for $6000 with 42,111 km and many extras from a dealer which includes 'accountability' and 6-month warranty.
2015 XT model for $8500 with 3,786 km and some extras privately, no warranty

What would you do, and why?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650. I am certain the storm is the bike I want for many reasons. The main aim really is to explore the country, sometimes 2 up. I need some guidance whether the opportunity is a good one or if I should rather wait for something else.

Here are the facts:
Bike is second hand from dealer and will include 6-month dealer warranty
Bike will get serviced when I purchase
Price $5800 (R 58 000) - I have been monitoring the market and this is about $1500 below market. There are a few reasons for the price which makes sense.  This includes everything such as roadworthy, transfer and tax.

Year: 2012 (gen 2)
km: 42 111
Has owners manual
Full service history
2 Keys
Ventura Rack and Givi side panniers
Bash Plate
Center Stand
Barkbuster hand guards
oxford heated grips
Touring screen

Overall condition: Medium
Has seen some offroad, has knobblies, scrapped crash bars, and exhaust. The frame and forks look good and straight. Some of the plastics look a little roughed up.

My concerns are that the bike was taken off the road and it was likely ridden hard. The owner seemed to look after it well and was due for an upgrade.

My alternatives are to buy privately, i.e. no warranty and will cost a bit more to get it n my name. I can get a 2015 650 XT model for $8200 with 3,786 km.
including heated grips,
quick release top box,
driving lights,
tank bags,

The price difference will be close to $2500 which is quite significant.

HELP