Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: gps mounting bar broken off  (Read 1523 times)

Offline PiknWyn

Re: gps mounting bar broken off
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 06:33:19 pm »
So my Crf also fell victim to the gps mount being too heavy. and breaking the mount.

Does anyone have a scematic or a video of how i can get the assembly off the bike to get it welded?

I will have to figure out a brace and an alternative mounting option there after.

#screen mount #Honda Africa Twin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Online Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 08:32:53 am »
I have added 2x alu brackets, one on either side running from the crossbar to the plate behind the speedo.
Works perfectly and my gps is super stable.
ThIs system of mine still works perfectly after 4 years of abuse.
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok

Offline PiknWyn

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 08:57:35 am »
@Losper That is the way I will also be leaning. R2k is a bit mutch to pay for a brce. Just need to get the broken one fixed first before i can brace anything.
You didnt perhaps take a pic of where you connected it at the bottom?

Online Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 09:14:37 am »
@Losper That is the way I will also be leaning. R2k is a bit mutch to pay for a brce. Just need to get the broken one fixed first before i can brace anything.
You didnt perhaps take a pic of where you connected it at the bottom?
No I unfortunately do not have a picture of the attachment at the bottom. If I remember correctly there is a solid plate behind the speedo, I drilled a hole on either side and mounted the alu angle with a small bolt  and nut to the plate.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:15:36 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline PiknWyn

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 06:50:45 am »
Thanks to the good advice and contact  from Conrad there at Off-road Cycles.  Stoffel welded the little frame up for me. He recons it was a bad weld to start off with. He quickly assisted me right there and at a very reasonable price. Didn't want to risk breaking it again so I moved the gps to the handlebar.

While the welding was going on Stoffel even enlightened me that I have been lied to, as have you! Did did you guys know the earth is in fact flat?

Offline Boerbok

• Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 10:58:14 am »
I have my relatively light Garmin Inreach mounted on that cross-bar. It vibrates quite a lot when I hit the gravel. It made me nervous enough to eventually get a Camel Adv brace this week (not too painful on the wallet as it was on discount).

Today I tested it out for the first time, and it is rock solid. Good product! I should have fitted one looong ago.  :ricky: I reckon it is strong enough to carry multiple GPS's, and I may mount the Montana there.

Anyone who takes their AT off pavement should seriously consider to beef that bracket up IMO.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:13:53 pm by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

The following users thanked this post: popman.rhonwyn