Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New bee to big bikes  (Read 596 times)

Offline Esplin

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Mica 490-XT 500- Honda 750- GS 650
    • View Profile
New bee to big bikes
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »
Did motor cross as a kid. Thought I could handle any thing.

. When I started riding big bikes , what a waking up call. There is traffic on the roads. People that don't pay attention to what is behind them. You can trust a guy on the track, not on the road. Different frame of thinking.

Big bikes have a total different way of handling them. Balance weight and power

I have a lot to learn.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:49:58 pm by Esplin »

Online Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
    • View Profile
Re: New bee to big bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:29 pm »
Have a similar story to tell....but once it 'clicks' there's no going back....driving a car 'on tour' is simply not an option, even to the point where the Mrs doesn't even ask how we're going on holiday....
De Colores!

Online Brucet

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
Pretty similar to me also. Got my learners on the 14th of September after buying the GS a couple weeks before. Only rode it in a car parking lot and had a friend test ride it for me.

First time I rode it was at 6am on Saturday the 16th of September when I rode to Cape Town over two days with a mate. Must admit to shitting myself a little but the confidence did get better. Came back this past weekend after doing 3200kms but no traffic except a little in CT.

Tomorrow I attempt my first ride to work.  (Randpark Ridge to Midrand)..... Im a little nervous I must admit.

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:50:00 pm »
When I went from small bikes to big bikes I noticed the following. There is a lot more power, there is a lot more weight so it reacts a little slower than a small light bike, brakes are much better (than I was used to) and big bikes feel a lot more stable than small light ones.

Like getting out of a citigolf and getting in to a big SUV (GSA) or a very fast car. Its the same but your mind needs recalibrating.

As for riding in traffic, thats a whole different kettle of fish.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Online Brucet

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 05:27:45 pm »
Yes its very similar to my racing car after doing some mods to make it more powerful. I ended up being slower for the first few laps as i had to relearn the car.

Anyway, i survived my first JHB traffic attempt although i kept off the hi-way. Will attempt the hi-way when i am more confident and competant.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:22:23 pm »
For city traffic I almost exclusively use small bikes. It does, very seldom, happen that I would ride a big bike during peak hours. It is always a bit of an adaption. I must keep telling myself not to chance those small gaps. But that EXTRA power ……
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:02:26 am »
For city traffic I almost exclusively use small bikes. It does, very seldom, happen that I would ride a big bike during peak hours. It is always a bit of an adaption. I must keep telling myself not to chance those small gaps. But that EXTRA power ……
I always found that a faster bike is safer in traffic as one can get away from trouble. I feel uncomfortable on a small bike in traffic. But that is subjective.

The issue with a quick bike on the road is I tend to ride faster than is actually wise. And those small gaps become bigger as you said...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:32:56 am »
I always found that a faster bike is safer in traffic as one can get away from trouble. I feel uncomfortable on a small bike in traffic. But that is subjective.

The issue with a quick bike on the road is I tend to ride faster than is actually wise. And those small gaps become bigger as you said...

It is a delicate weighing up of various factors. Very true that you need speed. A slow bike which is too slow to keep up with the traffic and which cannot exceed the traffic speed when needed (which is fairly often), is a coffin on two wheels. You must have the capacity to be able to ride out of the traffic at a whim’s notice. The traffic has no respect for you and will literally drive you off the road.

On the other hand, the moment you hand touches that throttle, your brain turns to shit. Where you ride a bike that can do 0 – 100 in less than 4 seconds (which most big bikes can do), before you know or realise it, you are doing 120km/h or more and your reaction time is reduced to almost zero. Often very difficult to exercise self restrain or control in traffic where you know well what the acceleration capabilities and speed of your bike are.   Decisions, decisions…..
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110